Jul 21, 2018  
Summer Record 2007 
Summer Record 2007 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Summer Session Activities and Facilities

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Co-curricular activities continue in the summer at the University of Virginia, with lectures, concerts, art exhibits, plays, and films on Grounds.

University Programs Council
University Programs Council is a student-run programming board that provides the University community with entertaining, educational, and cultural activities. Summer programs include such events as movies on the Lawn, lunch with professors, and yoga in the Newcomb Art Gallery. Membership is open to all University of Virginia students. For more information about UPC events and ways to get involved, please contact University Programs Council at (434) 924-3286; www.uvaupc.com.

Newcomb Hall
Newcomb Hall is the student center and central gathering place for the University. The lounges are filled with students, faculty, and staff studying, reading, and visiting with friends. Newcomb comes alive with meetings, lectures, films, banquets, dances, and other special events. A comfortable atmosphere contributes to the vibrant University life and inspires a strong sense of community.

Services and facilities include dining and quick food, a movie theater, game room, art gallery, internet kiosks and WI-FI, bank, post office, Student Financial Services satellite office, and the Information Desk. Newcomb is also home to student organization offices for Student Council, the Honor and Judiciary Committees, the Cavalier Daily, LGBT Resource Center, Greek Councils, and University Programs Council.

The Student Activities Center (SAC) and the Kaleidoscope are designed to foster co-curricular learning, enhance personal growth and development, afford opportunities for social interaction and leisure activities, and encourage exploration of different viewpoints, perspectives, and ideas.

For more information, please contact the Information Center at (434) 924-3601 or look for us online at www.virginia.edu/newcomb. For telephone numbers of summer session students, contact Student Locator at (434) 924-3363.

University of Virginia Bookstore ,The bookstore is located atop the Central Grounds Parking Garage and behind Newcomb Hall, offers all summer school textbooks, a large selection of scholarly, critical, and popular literature, school supplies, and University of Virginia imprinted clothing and gifts. Services now available are UPS shipping, postage, Cavalier Advantage deposits, custom engraving, and dry cleaning at the Mail Services desk.

A full-service Copy Center is also located in the bookstore. Open during the summer from 8:30 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. Monday through Friday, 10:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. on Saturday and 11:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. on Sunday, the Bookstore accepts cash, personal checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express, and the Cavalier Advantage Card. Full-time students who were registered during the previous Spring semester can also Student Charge their purchases.

The University of Virginia Art Museum
The museum will display works from the collection as well as the special exhibitions Collecting Heritage: Native American Art at the Museum (March 23 - June 24), Perfected Landscapes: Views from the Collection (May 30 - July 8), In the Land of the Corn God: Mesoamerican Art from the Collection (June 9 -August 5) and Charlottesville Collects African American Art (July 11 - August 19). The Museum is located at 155 Rugby Road, and is open without charge Tuesday through Sunday 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. For more information, call (434) 924-3592 or visit www.virginia.edu/artmuseum.

The Intramural-Recreational Sports Department
A variety of recreational programs and facilities are offered for students attending Summer Session. Intramural sport leagues, tournaments, and special events are offered in activities such as basketball, softball, soccer, and tennis. Group Exercise classes and fitness workshops are offered, as well as a variety of recreation instruction classes such as tennis, yoga, scuba, swimming, and CPR. The Outdoor Recreation Program offers kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing trips and workshops. The Outdoor Recreation Center provides camping and boating equipment rentals as well as a resource library. Students can access the recreation facilities listed below by using their valid University ID. For students with children, the department also conducts four, two-week camp sessions each summer for children in grades 1-5. For more information on programs and services, call (434) 924-3791. Recreation facility schedules can be obtained by calling (434) 924-PLAY (7529). Complete information is also available at www.virginia.edu/ims.

The Aquatic & Fitness Center
The Center has an olympic size pool, 3-court gymnasium, indoor walking/running track, free weight and cardiovascular exercise areas, multi-purpose rooms, locker rooms, sauna, whirlpool, showers, towel service, bookstore, dining area, and the Intramural-Recreational Sports administrative offices. The center is adjacent to Scott Stadium.

Memorial Gym
Memorial Gym houses a 3-court gymnasium, indoor walking/ running track, swimming pool, free weight and cardiovascular exercise areas, multi-purpose rooms, locker rooms, showers, towel service, and sauna. The gym is located on Emmet Street.

Slaughter Recreation Center
Slaughter Recreation Center offers cardiovascular equipment, free weights, strength training machines, three basketball/ volleyball/badminton courts, seven handball/racquetball courts, three wallyball courts, three squash courts, two multi-purpose/ aerobics rooms, day lockers, towel service and semester locker rental. The Center is located on Observatory Hill.

North Grounds Recreation Center
North Grounds Recreation Center houses a two-court gymnasium with availability for volleyball, three handball/ racquetball courts, two squash courts, a fitness room, two multi-purpose rooms, showers, towel service and locker rooms.

Outdoor Recreation Center
The Outdoor Recreation Center provides camping and canoeing rental equipment and a resource library. The Center is adjacent to the Cavalier Inn.

Snyder Tennis Center
Snyder Tennis Center features thirteen outdoor lighted tennis courts adjacent to Memorial Gym.

Perry-Fishburne Tennis and Dell Basketball Courts
Perry-Fishburne Tennis and Dell Basketball Courts have four tennis courts and three lighted outdoor basketball courts adjacent to Ruffner Hall.

The Park
The Parkis a twenty-three acre site for softball, field sports, running, picnics, and outdoor events. Now equipped with lights, it is ideal for day and evening play. The Park is located in the North Grounds area near Barracks Road and the 250 Bypass.

Dining Options
Newcomb Hall Dining, located on the second floor of Newcomb Hall, and Observatory Hill Dining will be open on a rotating schedule during the 2007 Summer Session. Pavilion XI on the first floor of Newcomb Hall, Alderman Cafe in Alderman Library, Java City at the UVA Bookstore, and Poolside Cafe in the Aquatic and Fitness Center will be open weekdays throughout the summer. For convenience store needs, the C3 at Newcomb Hall will also be open. If dietary restrictions are a concern, a registered dietician/nutritionist is on staff at UVA Dining. For more information about 2007 Summer Session dining plan options and operating hours, please visit www.virginia.edu/dining.

The city of Charlottesville attracts visitors from around the globe. Beyond the city lie the homes of Thomas Jefferson ( Monticello), James Monroe (Ash Lawn), and James Madison ( Montpelier), all open to visitors. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 20 miles west of Charlottesville. Additional information is available at www.charlottesvilletourism.org/

Motor Vehicles, Parking, Bicycles, and Bus Service


Motor Vehicles and Parking
Except for first-year undergraduate students, all students maintaining a 2.0 grade point average or better may own and/or operate motor vehicles at the University and in Charlottesville and Albemarle County. To park motor vehicles on the University Grounds, a permit must be purchased from the Department of Parking and Transportation Services.

Temporary permits for the summer are available as well as permits valid through the regular academic year. To purchase a parking permit during the summer, a student must have either a current student ID or be pre-registered for the fall semester. Students may be asked to produce their vehicle registration when applying for a permit. Knowledge of the parking regulations is assumed. Regulations are enforced by the Department of Parking and Transportation. Copies of parking regulations are available at the Department of Parking and Transportation offices, or may be found at www.virginia.edu/parking/.

Students living in student housing may purchase storage (orange) parking permits and park in appropriately assigned facilities. Commuting students may purchase standard (blue) parking permits which allow parking in lots marked in blue on the department map. These lots are serviced by the University Transit Service. Some reserved (green) permits may be available for the summer. Contact the Parking and Transportation office for more information.

Students with University scholarships or grants may own or operate a motor vehicle as long as they report (on the proper form) all relevant information relating to this operation or ownership to the Office of Financial Aid to Students.

The University of Virginia is committed to establishing an environment that encourages the proper use and parking of bicycles on the Grounds. Bicyclists must ride safely, and use bicycle racks for parking. In order to avoid damage to The Grounds and to ensure accessibility for people with disabilities, bicycles must not be locked to stair railings, trees, bushes, or crowd control chains/fences. Bicycles not parked in bicycle racks are subject to impoundment. For more information regarding bicycle registration, policies, and parking regulations, contact the Department of Parking and Transportation.

Bus Service
Students paying the Summer Session fee may ride University Transit Service fixed route bus service by showing their student identification cards. Buses run frequently between North and Central Grounds, the commuter parking lots, and areas of high density student population in the Rugby Road/Grady Avenue, Jefferson Park Avenue, and University Heights apartment areas.

Transfer tickets may be obtained from University Transit buses to allow free transportation on Charlottesville Transit buses. For additional information, see a copy of the joint UTS/CTS Rider’s Guide available on all University buses. The day before each Summer Session, May 13, June 11 and July 11, no permits will be required for parking in Blue or Orange lots, nor will a Summer Session ID be required to ride University buses. For motor vehicle regulations, bus schedules, parking maps, and information, contact Parking and Transportation Services, PO Box 400000, Charlottesville, VA 22903 or call (434) 924-7231, from 7:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. weekdays; www.virginia.edu/parking.

Student Health Service


Student Health Services
The Department of Student Health provides general out-patient medical care, including gynecology and psychological services, to Summer Session students. When necessary, Student Health will refer patients to consultants in other specialties. Students requiring hospitalization will be admitted to the University of Virginia Hospital. Disability services are available through the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center.

Location and Hours
The Elson Student Health Center is located just off Central Grounds, on Jefferson Park Avenue, between Monroe Lane and Brandon Avenue. Summer Session hours are 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday.

After Hours and Emergencies
For medical emergencies, the University of Virginia Hospital Emergency Room will provide emergency medical treatment when Student Health is closed. For urgent concerns or questions that cannot wait until the next business day, contact Student Health’s on-call service at (434) 972-7004. While Student Health will treat or arrange for treatment of any physical or mental ailment, Student Health will not pay charges for services a student receives outside of Student Health. Students enrolled through the School for Continuing and Professional Studies pay no health fees and are, therefore, not eligible for Student Health services.

Health Insurance
Health insurance is a requirement for all students at the University of Virginia. It is the responsibility of each student to obtain coverage prior to beginning a Summer Session course and to pay for any health care costs not covered by health insurance. Any individual admitted to the 2007 Summer Session as an “unclassified student” (visiting undergraduate) or a “visiting graduate student” is eligible to purchase the university-endorsed student health insurance plan for coverage during enrollment in the UVa Summer Session. Eligibility for the university-endorsed student health insurance plan is contingent upon official admission to the UVa Summer Session and completion of course registration. Visiting students who wish to enroll in the university-endorsed student health insurance plan must do so by May 31, 2007. The cost is $675.00 and coverage will begin on May 1, 2007 and end on August 14, 2007. Additional information can be accessed at www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance.html, or call (434) 243-2702.

Pre-Entrance Health Record: If the student’s time at UVa is during Summer Session only, there is no requirement for completing a health or immunization form. However, if the student plans to use Student Health services during the Summer Session, it is recommended that he/she complete the Pre-Entrance Health Record, accessible at www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/records.html.

Medical Withdrawal and Readmission
Student Health must clear any student requesting readmission to the University who originally withdrew for medical reasons. For more information call (434) 924-5471.

Contact Us
If you have any questions, please contact us via phone: (434) 924-5362; email: studenthealth@virginia.edu; mail: Department of Student Health, P.O. Box 800760, Charlottesville, VA 22908-0760; or website: www.virginia.edu/studenthealth.

Advisory Services


The Division of Student Affairs
The Division of Student Affairs helps support the University of Virginia’s primary purpose of enriching the minds and lives of its students. The division helps promote the intellectual, cultural, personal, and social development of students while enhancing their physical and psychological well-being. Student Affairs accomplishes this mission by supporting intellectual inquiry and responsible decision-making, providing programs and services that support the clarification of personal values, identity, and intellectual growth, facilitating the creation of interpersonal relationships and exploration of career directions, and promoting the value of diversity and full membership of all students within the University community so they can be informed, active citizens within our society. For more information call (434) 924-7984

The Office of the Dean of Students
The Office of the Dean of Students provides oversight, direction, and vision for these five offices listed below. In collaboration with other departments and offices around Grounds, this office responds to the needs of students in a variety of ways and identifies resources to meet those needs. The Office of the Dean of Students serves as an advocate and a support for the student body, student organizations, as well as for individual students. The Office of the Dean of Students is a place where any student or family member can turn when uncertain about where else to go. The core purpose of the office is most fully realized when students are able to turn ideas into realities, overcome hurdles, or solve personal problems.

The Office of the Dean of Students has five primary locations:

  • Office of the Dean of Students and Student Life, (434) 924-7133, Peabody Hall;
  • Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, (434) 924-7430, Madison House Lower Level;
  • Center for Alcohol and Substance Education, (434) 924-5276, Old Ivy Road;
  • Office of Orientation and New Student Programs, (434) 982-4555, Poe Alley;
  • Newcomb Hall, (434) 924-3329

For additional information visit www.virginia.edu/ deanofstudents

Residence Life Office
The summer residence halls are staffed by Resident Staff, called Resident Coordinators (RCs) in upperclass areas, who report to the Summer Session Coordinator. Resident Staff are available to assist students through peer counseling, referral, and programming. Resident Staff is responsible for promoting a living environment in University Housing that facilitates the physical well-being of students and their academic, social and emotional growth. Resident Staff members also encourage and implement a system of self-governance among residents in order to build a community where individual rights are respected. The office is located in Dabney House. For additional information call (434) 924-3736. The program is supervised by the Office of Residence Life and the Housing Division. www.virginia.edu/residencelife .

The Office of African-American Affairs (OAAA)
The mission of the Office of African-American Affairs is to assist the University in providing a welcoming environment for African-American students. To this end, it works in partnership with academic and student affairs’ offices and departments.

In addition, the OAAA offers a variety of programs. For example, its nationally acclaimed Peer Advisor Program provides personalized and sensitive outreach to assist first-year and entering transfer students with their college transition. The Student-Faculty Mentoring Program offers nurturing experiences for students’ intellectual and career-related development. The Tutorial Service gives support in academic areas ranging from chemistry to foreign language. In areas of cultural growth, the OAAA’s Luther Porter Jackson Cultural Center offers University-wide workshops, lectures, performances, and exhibitions related to the African-American experience. The Nat Turner Library is a repository for print and audiovisual materials documenting the black experience in the United States. The Harris-Bland Computer Lab offers opportunities for expanding Internet research.

The OAAA also has a variety of services, including academic monitoring, outreach, and recognition; personal counseling and advising; University orientation; alumni networking; and student advocacy.

And finally, the OAAA works with parents through its Parents Advisory Association. The organization provides additional support through a variety of activities, such as annual meetings with the administration and faculty, get-acquainted events for incoming families, and emergency loans.

For additional information contact The Office of African-American Affairs (OAAA) Luther P. Jackson House, 4 Dawson’s Row, P.O. Box 400132, Charlottesville, VA 22904; (434) 924-7923; www.virginia.edu/oaaa .

University Career Services (UCS)
The primary mission of UCS is to assure that undergraduate and graduate students achievetheir career-related goals, whether those goals are to continue their education, to secure employment, or some combination of the two. UCS accomplishes this mission by providing a variety of programs and services designed to help students explore career options, experience future work environments, learn career decision-making and effective internship and job search strategies.

Specifically, UCS assists students in beginning their career exploration by offering individual and small group advising and access to an extensive career resource library which includes almost 5,000 books as well as numerous electronic resources. UCS counselors can show students how to use online tools like UCAN (UVa’s alumni database) and CareerSearch to develop their networking skills. Students can continue to clarify their career goals by participating in an externship, a flexible, short-term opportunity where students gain exposure to a specific career field, or by attending an internship workshop. UCS serves students pursuing admission into graduate or professional schools by offering prehealth and prelaw advising, as well as graduate school advising services. Students pursuing permanent employment after graduation can participate in On-Grounds Interviewing, attend numerous career fairs, including Diversity Career Day, and view job postings online through HoosTRAK. UCS also offers numerous workshops covering a wide variety of topics from writing professional resumes to conducting effective job interviews.

Information about all UCS programs and services for University of Virginia students is available at www.career.virginia.edu . This site also connects students to career and job search information, job postings, graduate school databases, as well as the affiliate career services offices supported by the McIntire School of Commerce, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Curry School of Education, the Nursing School, and the School of Architecture. For additional information call (434) 924-8900.

Harrison Bowne “Tersh” Smith, Jr. Memorial Center for Counseling and Psychological Services
The Center provides a broad and comprehensive range of services including psychological and psychiatric assessment, referral, short-term individual psychotherapy, psychiatric medication treatment, group psychotherapy, emergency walk-in hours, 24-hour on-call crisis intervention, and consultation to administration, faculty, students, and families. Consultation and treatment are also provided to students concerned about their use of alcohol/other drugs, or who are affected by another’s substance abuse. Additionally CAPS is actively involved in providing psychoeducational programming and outreach to faculty and student organizations. For an appointment call the Center from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. at (434) 243-5150. Urgent walk-in hours are Monday through Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For after-hours emergency assistance call (434) 972-7004.

Within the Center, a Substance Abuse Clinician provides consultation and appropriate treatment to students concerned about their use of alcohol/other drugs, or who are affected by another’s substance abuse .

As with all other clinical services at Student Health, CAPS services are completely confidential. For additional information call the Elson Health Center (434) 243-5150

Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC)
The Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC) determines eligibility for and facilitates implementation of academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Accommodation services include alternate text formats, extended time for exams, interpreters for Deaf/HH students, and peer notetaking. Students who are eligible to use Student Health services may also seek screening for previously undiagnosed learning and attention disorders. For additional information contact the Elson Student Health Center, (434) 243-5180, (434) 243-5189 TTY, www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/lnec.html.

The Lorna Sundberg International Center
The Center offers educational, cultural, and social activities throughout the year. The Center provides an informal setting where students can meet together and with members of the local community. The Multicultural Library collection contains material on ethnic and intercultural/international topics, on adjustment into new environments, and travel. For calendar listings visit www.virginia.edu/iso/ic. For additional information contact The Lorna Sundberg International Center 21 University Circle, Box 400183, Charlottesville, VA 22904 or call (434) 924-7983.

Ombudsman Services-Grievance Procedures
Grievances and complaints should be made to officials in the applicable service area, graduate or undergraduate school. The Ombudsman is a confidential resource available to assist students with unresolved issues or concerns. (See p. 410 in Graduate Record and p. 416 in Undergraduate Record).

For additional information call (434) 924-7819, visit www.virginia.edu/eop/ombudsman.html or E-mail: ombuds@virginia.edu

Students with Disabilities
The Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC) provides a range of services to students with disabilities. Such disabilities may include, but are not limited to, vision, hearing, or mobility impairments, or impairment related to a learning, attentional or psychiatric disorder. The LNEC coordinates disability accommodations which may include alternate text formats for course material, peer note-taking, extended time for tests, sign language and other interpreting, and housing arrangements. Preliminary evaluation of academic difficulties and other services are also available as needed. Students with disabilities must submit appropriate documentation in support of a request for accommodations. All accommodation requests should be submitted in a timely manner, preferably before the semester begins, or not later than three weeks into the semester. Specific deadlines for certain types of accommodation requests are posted on the LNEC’s web site each term; however, every request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For requests involving on-Grounds housing, appropriate deadlines within the Housing office should also be met.

For more specific information about services and policies, including guidelines and forms for documentation, see the LNEC web site at www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/lnec.html To contact LNEC, call (434) 243-5181 (voice), 243-5189 (TTY), or fax at (434) 243-5188. The LNEC is located at the Elson Student Health Center, 400 Brandon Avenue, P.O. Box 800760, Charlottesville, VA 22908-0760.

The Consumer Information Officer (CIO)
The CIO assists students or prospective students in obtaining information about the financial aid programs available to students who enroll, the rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial aid, the cost of attending the University, the refund policy currently in effect, the academic program of the University, student retention data, student program completion data, and student-right-to-know information (if available). To contact the C.I.O., write George A. Stovall, Director, Institutional Studies, P. O. Box 400727, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4727 or call (434) 924-3417. E-mail: gas5a@virginia.edu.

Madison House
Independent non-profit agency that serves as the Student Volunteer Center at the University. During the summer months, a limited and informal volunteer program is available. Students select the service opportunity that best suits their time and talents from a listing of summer volunteer openings at participating community agencies. For additional information call (434) 977-7051 or visit www.madisonhouse.net.

Student Legal Services Program
Student Legal Services provides low-cost, confidential legal assistance to University of Virginia students. The office provides legal help on a wide variety of legal matters, including representation in Charlottesville/Albemarle area courts. No fee is charged for consultations. All fees are minimal. For additional information call (434) 924-7524 or visit www.student.virginia.edu/ ~stud-leg.