Jul 25, 2024  
Undergraduate Record 2023-2024 
Undergraduate Record 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

School of Data Science: Academic Rules

About    Academic Rules Minor Programs     Courses        

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Students are expected to attend all classes throughout the academic session as defined by the University Registrar’s academic calendar, which gives dates from start and end of session, exam week, and breaks and holidays. Grounds for excusable absences are to be arranged between the student and the instructor of the course in question; policies are typically provided by the instructor in the course syllabus. As a matter of policy, the Department of Student Health and Wellness does not furnish excuses (for example, doctor’s notes) for illness, either to the student or to the instructor. At the request of the program director, the Department of Student Health and Wellness will evaluate the effect of any illness upon a student’s attendance and academic performance. Failure by students to attend lectures and other prescribed exercises in the courses for which they are registered may subject them to penalties.

Absence from written examinations will not be excused except for sickness on the day of examination attested by a physician’s certificate or for other cause that the instructor, by special action, may approve. An unexcused absence in such cases constitutes failure of the examination.




The academic performance of a student in each course taken for a grade is recorded as one of the following grades: A+, A, A-; B+, B, B-; C+, C, C-; D+, D, D-; F. All courses intended to fulfill program requirements must be taken for a letter grade.


Effective for Fall 2020 & J-Term, Spring, and Summer 2021 Only 

Credit (CR): awarded if you meet the class’s requirements for credit (C or higher).  CR will meet all undergraduate degree requirements, including pre-requisites, general education, major, minor, etc. CR will not affect GPA. 

General Credit (GC): awarded if you receive a passing grade below a C. GC will earn the credit hours associated with the course and will fill undergraduate requirements that can be met by a passing grade lower than C. GC will not affect GPA. 

No Credit (NC): awarded if you receive a grade of F. This grade will not earn credit nor meet any requirements. NC will not affect GPA. 


Effective for Fall 2022 

University-wide disruption. Student had option to select CR/GC/NC grading rubric.  

Credit (CR) – CR awarded for a grade of middle C or higher and meets all degree requirements. CR does not affect GPA. 

General Credit (GC) – GC awarded for passing grades below C (including C-, D+, D, or D-) and meets any degree requirement that can be satisfied by a passing grade below C. GC does not affect GPA. 

No Credit (NC) – NC awarded for a non-passing grade (that is, F). NC does not earn credit or meet any requirements and does not affect GPA. 


Grade Changes

Errors in calculation or transcription are the only acceptable reasons for a grade change. Grades cannot be changed after a degree is conferred, or more than one semester following the end of the course, whichever comes first. Instructors must submit a grade change form to the School of Data Science Registrar, who will seek approval from the Associate Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs.


Incomplete and Missing Grades

The symbol IN (incomplete) is used when additional course work is required or examinations need to be taken to fulfill the requirements of a given course, it is not a valid final grade. A student may not request an IN to raise their grade. Prior to the end of the class, students must initiate the request for an IN by using the Incomplete DocuSign Form to secure the instructor’s approval on their plan and timeline for completing the course.  Grade changes from IN to a final grade cannot be made more than one semester following the end of the course, and instructors may set shorter deadlines.  If the student fails to fulfill the agreement spelled out on the Incomplete DocuSign form, the grade changes to a failing grade (F or U) by the University registrar.  Students will not be permitted to take an incomplete in coursework one semester, and then request to take an incomplete the next semester if the incomplete from the previous semester is not resolved first. 


Credit/No Credit Grades

Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F for a given course.  This option is taken at the time the student registers for the course and no later than the deadline for adding classes.  The Instructor has the right to deny students permission to take their course on a CR/NC basis.  If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the course entirely.  Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used to count for data science programs.  It is the student’s responsibility to confirm with the instructor the minimum academic level of achievement for the grade of CR.


Repeated Courses

If a course is failed and repeated, both courses and grades appear on the transcript. The repeated course with a passing grade will count toward the credits needed for the degree. Both the failed and the repeated course grades are computed in the cumulative grade point average (GPA), but only the repeated course grade with a passing grade (as defined by the program requirements) will be computed into the program GPA. A student may repeat a course (or its equivalent) once.


Leave of Absence

A student who wishes to suspend full-time study temporarily may request approval from the program director to undertake a leave of absence. Depending on the circumstances of the leave, a student may be required by the program director to meet with the associate dean of students in the University Office of the Dean of Students as part of the approval process. Leaves are approved for a full term or academic year, with a student eligible for up to two years of leave cumulatively. A student on an approved leave retains access to their UVA e-mail account and may under certain circumstances purchase health insurance during the first twelve months of the leave but is otherwise ineligible for financial aid and the use of University facilities. A student must affirm their intent to return from leave at least 60 calendar days before the end of the leave.

Leaves of absence involving medical circumstances may be approved at any point before or during a term. In the latter case, tuition is charged according to the portion of the term elapsed before the effective date of the leave, and financial support allocated to the student for the remainder of that term is forfeited. Students whose leaves involve medical circumstances are required to meet with the associate dean of students in the University Office of the Dean of Students as part of the approval process and obtain clearance from the Department of Student Health and Wellness in order to resume enrollment.


Petitions, Appeal and Grievances

Students must petition the Associate Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs for exceptions to the School of Data Science program policy.

The School of Data Science does not entertain grade appeals or grievances.

Students are expected to follow complaint or grievance processes set forth in applicable University policies, including but not limited to those regarding:

  • Preventing and Addressing Discrimination and Harassment
  • Preventing and Addressing Retaliation
  • Standards of Conduct
  • Student Rights and Responsibilities
  • Student Sexual Misconduct

For situations not otherwise directly addressed in University policy, students should attempt to resolve concerns or conflicts by working directly with a faculty member or the program director. Conflicts or concerns that cannot be resolved to the student’s satisfaction should be discussed with the Associate Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs of the School of Data Science.


Posthumous Degrees

 Eligibility for posthumous degrees extends only to students enrolled in B.A. and B.S. programs.


Readmission and Reinstatement

A student who voluntarily withdraws from the program or otherwise ceases to enroll for a period of up to two academic years and wishes to resume enrollment must petition the program director for reinstatement at least 60 days in advance of the next registration period. A student who has been absent for longer than two years must reapply through the standard process to his or her program of study.


Voluntary Withdrawal

A student who wishes to withdraw voluntarily from the program during an academic term must discuss the circumstances with the program director and submit a formal notice of withdrawal. Students withdrawing during an academic term must do so at least one week prior to the examination period in order to receive notations of “W” on the transcript. A student withdrawing after the conclusion of an academic term and before enrolling for a subsequent term need only provide formal notice to the program director. For more detail, see “University Regulations—Academic Regulations—Voluntary Withdrawal.”