Aug 12, 2022
Return to: Curry School of Education and Human Development: Departments/Programs
Bachelor of Science in Education – Early Childhood Education (120 credits)
The undergraduate major in Early Childhood Education prepares students for teacher licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Students who successfully complete all requirements for this state-approved licensure programs are eligible for endorsement in early/primary grades preK-3.
During the teacher education program, students learn effective strategies for teaching diverse learners while practicing those strategies in P-3 classrooms. Experiential learning is a key component of the major. Teacher education majors engage in a range of clinical experiences that reflect the diverse contexts for which they will be prepared to teach.
Residency Requirement (60 credits)
A recipient of a B.S.Ed. degree from the Curry School must complete at least 60 of the 120 credits required for graduation at the University of Virginia.
Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirement
Students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 on all courses attempted at the University.
Minimum Grade Requirement
Students must earn a minimum grade of C+ in all courses required for the major. Students earning a grade below a C+ will be required to retake the course or its equivalent. Students must pass all credit/no credit clinical experiences to be eligible for licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Competency Requirements (12 credits)
- First Writing Requirement, 3 credits
- Second Writing Requirement, 3 credits
- Cultural Literacy, 3 credits (choose one)
- Data Literacy/Stats (2000 level or above), 3 credits
Area Requirements (24 credits)
- Mathematics and Natural Science, 9 credits
- 3 credits of mathematics
- 6 credits of natural science; courses must be from two different departments
- Humanities, 6 credits
- Social Sciences, 9 credits
- 3 credits of United States history
- 3 credits of child development
- 3 additional credits of social science
Early Childhood Major Coursework (10 credits)
- EDIS XXXX: Differentiating Reading Instruction
- EDIS XXXX: Mathematics in the Elementary School
- EDIS XXXX: Science in the Elementary School
- EDIS XXXX: Social Studies in the Elementary School
Clinical Experiences and Seminars (28 credits)
- EDIS 3881: Field Experience – Elementary (2 credits)
- EDIS 3889: Field Experience – Early Childhood (2 credits)
- EDIS XXXX: Clinical Experience – Early Childhood (6 credits)
- EDIS XXXX: Content Area Seminar – Early Childhood (3 credits)
- EDIS 4881: Teaching Internship – Elementary (12 credits)
- EDIS XXXX: Internship Seminar – Elementary (3 credits)
Early Childhood Education Major GPA
Minimum 2.3 required.
The major GPA is calculated using all GPA-eligible courses used to satisfy major required courses.
Choose courses from across the University to reach 120 credits.
Public Professional Licensure Disclosure
As a member of the State Authorizations Reciprocity Agreement, the University of Virginia (UVA) is authorized to provide curriculum in a distance learning environment to students located in all states in the United States except for California. (34 CFR 668.43(a)(6)& 34 CFR 668.72(n)).
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science in Education in Early Childhood Education at the UVA School of Education and Human Development, graduates may be eligible for initial professional licensure in another U.S. state by applying to the licensing board or agency in that state.
Please visit the University’s state authorization web pages to make an informed decision regarding which states’ educational requirements for initial licensure are met by this program. (668.43(a)(5) (v)(A) - (C))
Enrolled students who change their current (or mailing) address to a state other than Virginia should update this information immediately in the Student Information System as it may impact their ability to complete internship, practicum, or clinical hours, use Title IV funds, or meet licensure or certification requirements in the new state. (34 CFR 668.402).