Before entering the McIntire School of Commerce, students must complete a minimum of 54 credits (including accepted test credits, prior transfer credits, and courses taken at UVA), including the following courses:
- COMM 1800 - Foundations of Commerce, 3 credits
- COMM 2010 - Introduction to Financial Accounting, 3 credits
- COMM 2020 - Introduction to Management Accounting, 3 credits
First Writing Requirement1 – 3-6 credits
Humanities1 or Engagements
- 6 credits of Humanities for students in the Traditional or Forums Curriculum (students in the Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021 must complete 3 credits before enrollment and 6 credits before graduation) OR
- Complete the 8 credits of Engagements for students in the New Curriculum
Statistics2: STAT 2120 – 4 credits
Calculus: MATH 1190 or higher level – 3 credits
ECON 2010: Principles of Economics: Microeconomics – 3 credits
ECON 2020: Principles of Economics: Macroeconomics – 3 credits
Foreign/World Language3: Completion through 2020 level – 0-14 credits
For more information on the prerequisite courses, including Frequently Asked Questions and advising recommendations, see https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/undergrad/prerequisites.
1 First Writing, Humanities/Engagements requirements as defined in the Record, College of Arts & Sciences.
2 Beginning with the Class of 2023, AP or transfer credit for STAT 1120 will no longer satisfy this requirement.
3 Foreign/World language requirements as defined in the Record, College of Arts & Sciences. After admission, foreign language prerequisite courses may be completed by transfer during the summer before enrollment with prior approval, but must be completed before entering the School.
Students must earn 120 credits for the Bachelor of Science in Commerce. Of these:
- 48 credits must be in Commerce courses
- 57 credits must be in non-Commerce courses (including ECON 2010 and ECON 2020);
- 15 credits may be in either Commerce or non-Commerce courses.
Students must earn the following minimum credits after enrollment at McIntire:
- 57 total credits;
- 39 credits in Commerce, including:
- 24 credits of core courses;
- 9-13.5 credits of courses in a concentration;
- 3-6 elective credits
Public Professional Licensure Disclosure
As a member of the State Authorizations Reciprocity Agreement, the University of Virginia (UVA) is authorized to provide curriculum in a distance learning environment to students located in all states in the United States except for California. (34 CFR 668.43(a)(6)& 34 CFR 668.72(n)).
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Science in Commerce at the UVA McIntire School of Commerce, graduates may be eligible for initial professional licensure in another U.S. state by applying to the licensing board or agency in that state.
Please visit the University’s state authorization web pages to make an informed decision regarding which states’ educational requirements for initial licensure are met by this program. (668.43(a)(5) (v)(A) - (C))
Enrolled students who change their current (or mailing) address to a state other than Virginia should update this information immediately in the Student Information System as it may impact their ability to complete internship, practicum, or clinical hours, use Title IV funds, or meet licensure or certification requirements in the new state. (34 CFR 668.402).