Apr 17, 2024  
Graduate Record 2015-2016 
Graduate Record 2015-2016 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Specialty Certificate Options - Nursing

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs

Return to: School of Graduate Nursing: Programs/Courses  

Specialty Certificate options provide MSN-prepared nurses with additional knowledge and skills in a defined specialty area. To be eligible for the specialty certificate programs, applicants must have a master’s degree in nursing or be currently enrolled in UVA Masters specialty track or the PhD or DNP program. Students who complete these tracks are eligible to apply for national certification examinations. The following specialty tracks are offered: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Nursing Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, and Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Clinical Nurse Specialist.


Applicants must:

  • Have completed a master’s degree in nursing from a nationally accredited school of nursing or be currently enrolled in a UVA Masters specialty track or in the PhD or DNP.
  • Submit three satisfactory academic/professional recommendations.
  • Submit a clear statement of educational and professional goals.
  • Submit validation of basic health assessment skills; for NP, CNS, or WOCN tracks.
  • Be available for an interview if requested.
  • Possess an unencumbered RN license in Virginia

Application Deadlines The School utilizes a rolling admissions process. The completed application and the $75 application fee must be received by March 1 for fall admission. Applications received after the deadlines will be considered if space is available.

All correspondence concerning admission should be addressed to the Assistant Director for Admissions and Finincial Aid, Office of Admissions and Student Services, School of Nursing, P.O. Box 800826, Charlottesville, VA 22908.

Program Course Work The ratio of clinical hours to credits is 4:1. Courses are taught only if there are a sufficient number of students registering for them. Semester schedules published by UREG (Office of the University Registrar) must be consulted for courses to be offered during a given semester.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Programs