Admission requirements are described on the Curry website.
Program Requirements To earn a Master of Education degree, students must:
- complete program requirements established by the faculty of the student’s program area,
- demonstrate satisfactory performance on a comprehensive examination in the program area. In certain program areas, a project or thesis replaces the comprehensive exam requirement,
- complete a minimum of 30 credits of graduate work
- apply no more than 6 graduate credits taken either at another institution towards the total number of required credits, or at U.Va. prior to admission,
- complete a culminating experience (e.g., comprehensive exam, thesis), and
- register during the final semester.
Comprehensive Examination This culminating experience is developed and administered in accordance with procedures determined by the department. Satisfactory performance must be demonstrated before the student can graduate. A student who fails to perform satisfactorily may petition for one more opportunity to succeed.
Time Limit No requirements, including transferred credit, completed more than five years before the M.Ed. is to be awarded may be credited toward that degree. Exceptions must be approved by the advisor, department chair, and the associate dean, and are granted only when some emergency, such as illness, interrupts the student’s work. In such cases, the student may be required to validate out-of-date work by examination.