Jul 18, 2018  
Graduate Record 2011-2012 
Graduate Record 2011-2012 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

School of Continuing and Professional Studies

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Continuing and Professional Studies

Thomas Jefferson envisioned that his University of Virginia would prepare the young citizens of the Commonwealth and the nation to pursue productive careers in public service, agriculture and commerce. Since its founding, the University has educated students in a residential setting designed by Jefferson himself. 

By 1915, however, it became apparent that the Founder’s vision extended to students who were not able to study and learn in Charlottesville. Therefore, a “Bureau of Extension” was organized to provide outstanding public service and continuing and professional studies programs to the citizens of Virginia and the nation.

Today, the University of Virginia’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies annually serves more than 10,000 individuals in credit and non-credit courses of study, as well as degree  and certificate programs. The School creates opportunities for non-traditional students to study and learn with distinguished faculty across a number of academic disciplines on Grounds and across the Commonwealth. While some programs of study are  focused on applied studies, SCPS students are also exposed to the traditional disciplines which serve as the foundation for all learning and scholarship.

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


On Grounds

The administrative and primary academic programming offices of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies are housed in Zehmer Hall. Zehmer Hall also functions as a nonresidential center for conferences, seminars, workshops, and as a classroom building for degrees and courses offered in the Charlottesville region.

The School of Continuing and Professional Studies
Academic and Administrative Offices in Charlottesville

Billy K. Cannaday, Jr. B.A., M.Ed., Ed.D., Dean
Zehmer Hall
104 Midmont Lane
P.O. Box 400764
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4764
(434) 982-5206 Fax: (434) 982-5550

Susan H. Barr, B.A., M.S., Ph.D., Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Student Services & Enrollment Management
(434)982-5338 Fax: (434) 982-5550

Cynthia C. Reed, B.S., M.B.A., Associate Dean for Administration
(434) 982-5207 Fax: (434) 982-5550

Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies Degree Program

Donna Plasket, B.M.E., M.M., M.Ed., Ed.D., Assistant Dean and Director
(434) 982-5274 Fax: (434) 982-5335

Business Office

Victoria I. Savoy, B.S., M.S., C.P.A.,  Assistant Dean for Finance
(434) 982-5248 Fax: (434) 982-5550

Center for Executive Development

Cynthia G. Orshek, B.S., M.S., Director
(434) 982-5366 Fax: (434) 982-5369

Center for K-12 Education

Nancy R. Iverson, A.B., M.Ed., Ed.D., Assistant Dean and Director
(434) 243-2560 Fax: (434) 982-5297

Educational Technologies

John Payne, B.S., M.A., Director
(434) 982-5344 Fax: (434) 982-5270

Instructional Design              

Gail Hunger, B.A., M.Ed., Ed.D., Director
(434) 924-1305 Fax: (434) 982-5270

Marketing Department

Jane Paluda, B.A., M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Marketing
(434) 243-2449 Fax: (434) 982-5298

Math Outreach

Vickie Inge, B.A., M.Ed., A.B.D., Director
(434) 982-4946 Fax: (434) 243-1138

Tempo Reading Program

Mary Abouzeid, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., Director
(434) 924-0915 Fax: (434) 924-6339

University Center

Donna Klepper, B.A., M.Ed., Ed.D., Director
(434) 982-5313 Fax: (434) 982-5324

Off Grounds

The School of Continuing and Professional Studies operates a network of regional academic outreach centers across the state, to respond to the educational needs of Virginians and to reach adult learners throughout the nation using distance learning technologies.

The directors of the regional academic outreach centers organize and administer a diverse portfolio of academic programs for individuals, government agencies, the business community and K-12 school districts.

Regional Academic Centers:

FBI National Academy Program
Stephen J. Pryplesh, B.S., M.P.A., M.S., M.Ed., Assistant Dean and Director
Quantico, VA 22135
(703) 632-1189 Fax: (703) 632-1187

Hampton Roads Center
Kathy Cullen, B.A., M.A., Director
418 Pembroke Four
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
(757) 552-1890 Fax: (757) 552-1898

Northern Virginia Center
Daniel J. Driscoll, B.S., M.Ed., Ph.D., Director
7054 Haycock Road
Falls Church, VA 22043
(703) 536-1100; toll-free in VA: (800) 678-4882

Robert D. Linder, B.A., J.D., M.B.A., L.L.M., Deputy Director

Richmond Center
Kathy Cullen, B.A., M.A., Director
2810 N. Parham Road
Richmond, VA 23294-4434
(804) 662-7464; toll-free in VA: (800) 323-4882
Fax: (804) 662-9827

Roanoke Center
Linda Linnartz, B.S., M.S., Ed.D., Director
108 N. Jefferson Street, Suite 507
Roanoke, VA 24016
(540) 767-6200; toll-free in VA: (800) 882-6753
Fax: (540) 767-6206

Southwest Center 
One Partnership Circle
P.O. Box 1987
Abingdon, VA 24212
(276) 619-4312; toll-free in VA: (800) 792-3683
Fax: (276) 619-4309


University Graduate Degree Programs offered through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies

Graduate degree programs offered through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies address the needs of adult students at convenient locations throughout the state. Faculty at the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, work with their counterparts in other schools of the University to design and deliver degree programs through on-site courses and the use of distance learning technologies. The degree-granting school or college determines its program admission criteria, course content, and degree requirements.

Degree-seeking students should consult the appropriate school’s section in this Record to determine admission requirements and other policies and regulations applicable to degree programs. Students who seek to transfer graduate credits earned through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies must get approval from the school in which enrollment is sought.

When the School of Continuing and Professional Studies offers courses in collaboration with other schools of the University, these courses follow the grading system of their associated schools, as outlined in each school’s section of this Record.

Definitions and Regulations for the School of Continuing and Professional Studies

Add/Drop The dates by which students may add or drop a course are established each academic year by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. Students should consult the School of Continuing and Professional Studies website for information www.scps.virginia.edu

Admission Information about graduate certificate courses and programs offered by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies is in the Record and on the School’s website www.scps.virginia.edu. Students should consult with the appropriate academic program director for admission and program requirements.

Academic Grievance Procedure  Students who have a grievance related to a course, a faculty member, or the services provided by SCPS faculty or staff should pursue the grievance as follows: 

  1. Concerns related to a course or faculty member not resolvable between the student and faculty member should be discussed with the appropriate School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ academic program director. 
  2. If the concern is not resolvable at this level, the grievance should be filed with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. The Associate Dean’s decision may be appealed by the student to the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
  3. If the grievance is related to the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, the student may contact the Vice President and Provost of the University.
  4. If the concern is related to the Vice President and Provost, appropriate documentation should be presented in writing to the President of the University.

Attendance Students are expected to attend all class sessions. Instructors establish attendance and participation requirements for each of their courses. Course requirements such as examinations, oral presentations, laboratory experiments, participation in class discussion, etc., are not waived due to a student’s absence from class. Instructors may establish penalties when excessive absences seriously hinder achievement in any course.

Audit Students who wish to audit a course (enroll in credit courses without earning academic credit) may do so on a space available basis, with the permission of the instructor and program director. Credit or audit status must be indicated at the time of registration. Admission requirements are the same for auditing students as for students enrolled for credit. An AU (audit) cannot be changed to a letter grade. Auditing a class does not relieve the student of the responsibility for meeting the standards established for the course. A grade of W is recorded for any student who discontinues the audit after the drop deadline who fails to meet the instructor’s standards. Students who audit courses are responsible for full payment of approved tuition and frees.

Conduct Students who enroll in degrees, courses, seminars, certificate programs and other lifelong learning activities delivered by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, whether at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville or elsewhere, agree to conduct themselves in a manner that honors the learning process and the University’s function as an educational institution. Students must agree to abide by the Honor Code and all University Regulations (as detailed in the University Regulations section of this Record).

In a community of learning, willful disruption of the educational process, destruction of property, interference with the orderly process of the University and/or with the rights of the other members of the University community will not be tolerated. The Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies has the authority to exclude those who are disruptive of the educational process, including those whose behavior would present a threat to the health and safety of others.

Continuing Education Unit A limited number of non-credit activities are designated as Continuing Education Unit (CEU) programs. One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized educational experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. The Office of the University Registrar (UREG) permanently records successful participation in programs that have been authorized to award CEU’s. A certificate typically is awarded at the conclusion of the program. UREG permanently records successful participation in programs that have been authorized to award CEUs. A certificate typically is given at the conclusion of the course or program. 

Duty to Report Students enrolling in School of Continuing and Professional Studies courses or programs are to follow University policy for duty to report arrests and convictions.  Please see policy information at www.virginia.edu/deanofstudents/announcements/2011/02/

Grades Courses carrying a School of Continuing and Professional Studies subject area (mnemonic) use the following grading system: A+, A, A-; B+, B, B-; C+, C, C-; D+, D, D-; F. S (satisfactory) and U (unsatisfactory) are used for some class offerings. For non-credit courses, the grade notation is N (no credit). Students who audit courses receive the designation AU (audit). The symbol W is used when a student officially drops a course before its completion, or if the student withdraws from an academic program of the University.

Credit/No Credit Students enrolled in graduate degree programs should consult with the appropriate school before selecting the credit/no credit (CR/NC) grading option. Students enrolled in certain courses for professional development may select the CR/NC option. Courses taken with this grading option may not be transferred into a degree program. The use of CR/NC in certificate programs is governed by the academic policies of the individual program.

Grade Changes No grade for a course may be changed after it has been submitted to the Office of the University Registrar (UREG) without the course instructor certifying in writing that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade was submitted.

Incompletes Occasionally circumstances beyond a student’s control make it necessary for the student to request an IN (incomplete) designation instead of a grade from the instructor. IN indicates that the grade for the course is withheld until the student completes all course requirements. An IN can be assigned only when a document of agreement signed by the student and instructor is approved by the academic program director and filed with the school registrar, specifying the work to be completed in order to have the IN removed and a grade assigned, as well as the date by when all work for completion of the course must be submitted. To have the IN removed from the student’s record,  the student must complete and submit all course work to the instructor within two hundred (200) calendar days after the grading deadline, unless another date has been assigned by the instructor in writing. Typical extensions are for no more than one semester following the end of the semester in which the course was taken; however, instructors may set shorter deadlines. Upon completion and submission of all course work as outlined in the document of agreement, the instructor shall then replace the IN designation with a grade

Grade Lapse Procedure An incomplete that is not removed by the assigned date will be converted to a grade of F (failure). Only the appropriate instructors may authorize removal of an IN designation.  Degree-seeking students who receive an IN (incomplete) or an F (failure) in any course cannot enroll in another course unless the Dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies grants permission.

Honor System The Honor System is one of the University’s oldest and most venerated traditions. Based on the fundamental assumption that anyone who enrolls at the University subscribes to a code of ethics forbidding lying, cheating, and stealing, the Honor System allows students the kind of personal freedom possible only in an environment where respect and trust are assumed. For nearly 160 years, students have administered this system at the University.

While the Honor System applies to students enrolled on- and off-Grounds through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, some procedures for administration of the system to continuing and professional studies students differ from those governing on-Grounds full time students. Off-Grounds students should consult with the School of Continuing and Professional Studies  or visit The Honor Committee website for a copy of the By-laws under Governing Documents www.virginia.edu/honor/ .

Refunds Programs offered by the School of Continuing and Professional Studies have varying policies regarding refunds. Please refer to the school’s website for detailed information www.scps.virginia.edu

Repeated Courses Students may repeat courses for credit only after receiving permission from their academic program director or dean’s office. When a course is allowed to be repeated, that course may count toward degree credit only once. The original course continues to appear on the official academic record and counts in the calculation of the grade point average.

Suspended Students Individuals who have been suspended from the University of Virginia or from any other college or university are not eligible to enroll through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies as long as the suspension remains in force.

Student Rights and Responsibilities The University of Virginia is a community of scholars in which the ideals of freedom of inquiry, freedom of thought, freedom of expression, and freedom of the individual are sustained. The University is committed to supporting the exercise of any right guaranteed to individuals by the Constitution and the Code of Virginia and to educating students relative to their responsibilities.  Please see University policy regarding rights and responsibilities of students at www.virginia.edu/vpsa/rights.html

Teacher Relicensure Teachers and school administrators who wish to take courses or professional development offerings for relicensure may register without submitting academic transcripts. Individuals seeking relicensure are responsible for determining the acceptability of such courses or professional development programs by consulting with their school division staff development or human resource office or the Virginia Department of Education www.doe.virginia.gov .

Transcripts The Office of the University Registrar (UREG) records credits, grades and CEUs (Continuing Education Units) for University courses taught in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. Transcripts are available from the Office of the University Registrar www.virginia.edu/registrar. Current students may view their unofficial transcripts by logging into their student center in the Student Information System (SIS) www.virginia.edu/sis/

Transfer of School of Continuing and Professional Studies Course Credits to Other Academic Programs Students wishing to transfer credit from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies to another program or educational institution should consult that program or institution as to the acceptability of the courses and their credit prior to registering with the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Transfer of Credits into School of Continuing and Professional Studies Program Students interested in transferring courses into an SCPS academic program generally may transfer a maximum of six credits. The School grants transfer credit based on an analysis of the content, level, and suitability of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major, the quality of the student’s performance in the courses, and the accreditation of the institution at which the work was completed. Course work must not be older than five years and the student must have earned a grade of “C” or better in the courses. Transfer credit determinations are made by the appropriate academic program director based upon analysis of an official transcript provided to the School of Continuing and Professional Studies Admissions Office. Courses for which transfer credit has been awarded will not appear on the student’s transcript until the completion of the certificate program. No transfer credit is accepted into selected certificate programs.  Please consult certificate program information for specifics.

Withdrawal Students enrolled in an on-Grounds graduate degree program should refer to the withdrawal policy of the school awarding the degree.

Students enrolled in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ graduate courses for professional development, certificate programs, or the community scholar program, may withdraw by following the steps outlined at the school’s website www.scps.virginia.edu


Tuition and Fees

For a complete list of current tuition and fees for the School of Continuing and Professional Studies please consult the school’s website at www.scps.virginia.edu

Graduate Certificate Programs

The School of Continuing and Professional Studies offers programs in specialized fields such as business, education, and other professions that lead to the award of certificates. Generally, certificate programs require 12 to 24 credits of instruction. Admission requirements for certificate programs vary. Applicants will be required to provide transcripts of previous academic activity for certificate programs awarding graduate credit. Persons interested in a certificate program should consult with the academic program director or consult the school’s website www.scps.virginia.edu to obtain specific admission requirements.

Students in credit certificate programs must maintain an average grade of C or better to continue in the program. Persons enrolled in certificate programs must progress satisfactorily in their courses in a timely manner.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: School of Continuing and Professional Studies