Apr 16, 2024  
Graduate Record 2021-2022 
Graduate Record 2021-2022 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Military Educational Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

The Office of the University Registrar (UREG) supports active duty service members, veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and dependents in pursuing their academic and professional goals by assisting them in maximizing the use of their educational benefits at the University. We strive to be a military and veteran friendly university.

Using Military Educational Benefits at UVA

  1. Apply for your benefits using the VA’s online application: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Once approved, student will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  2. Submit the COE to the UREG, along with the Military Educational Benefits Request (MEBR) Form https://www2.virginia.edu/registrar/vabenefits.html.
    a. You should submit the Military Educational Benefits Request form when you enroll in classes. A new MEBR is required before each term that you wish to use your benefits.
  3. If you used benefits at another school, complete the VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495. Submit a copy to UREG and to the VA.

Only courses that apply to your degree or certificate plan will be certified.

Fees, such as, books, meals, lodging, health insurance, and other ineligible fees are not covered by the VA. Components of Mandatory Fees can be found here: https://sfs.virginia.edu/tuition.

Notify UREG by email immediately when you withdraw, drop, add, or stop attending courses. This includes schedule changes made before classes begin. Your Military Educational Benefits may be adjusted as a result of these changes. Email: veteransbenefits@virginia.edu

Students are responsible for ensuring their enrollment has been certified correctly.

Changes in credit hours should be reported immediately to UREG (Office of the University Registrar), at (434) 924-4122 or veteransbenefits@virginia.edu.

Contact Information:

UREG (Office of the University Registrar)
1001 North Emmet Street
PO Box 400203
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Phone: (434) 924-4122
Fax: (434) 924-4156

Payments from the VA are expected, not guaranteed. Students are responsible for any balance that remains on their account. All decisions pertaining to benefit eligibility and payments are made by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please direct all payment questions to the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

Educational benefits do not cover ineligible fees. We do not certify books, meals, lodging, health insurance, materials fees, or any other ineligible fee.

Please note: Your Military Educational Benefits will impact certain financial aid eligibility.  Military Educational Benefits will be included as a financial resource in your financial aid award package and may reduce state grants, University grants, federal loans and work study, and private loans. Each financial aid award type is different, so the VA benefit may affect each person’s award differently. Please contact Student Financial Services for questions about how your Military Educational Benefits may impact your financial aid at sfs@virginia.edu or 434.982.6000.

University students who are in the military reserves or the National Guard of the United States who are called to active duty after the beginning of a semester or summer session should consult the University’s policy on Active Duty in the Military.

For further information, students should contact UREG at (434) 924-4122.

Resources: Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines

Virginia Tuition Status

The Code of Virginia, Section 23-7.4 provides alternate paths to in-state privileges. One is based upon the establishment of Virginia domicile; the other on present, active duty in the military coupled with residence in Virginia. The latter allows honorably discharged military veterans to receive in-state tuition. If an applicant is not eligible based upon Virginia domicile, ask whether he or she may be entitled based upon a military parent, spouse or legal guardian’s active duty or service as a veteran.

Certain Veterans and active duty military personnel who live in Virginia may qualify for in-state tuition status. For more information, contact the Office of Virginia Status at 434-982-3391 or at vastatus@virgnia.edu.

Transfer and Prior Credit

The institution maintains a written record of the previous education and training of the veteran or eligible person. Each program indicates when appropriate credit has been given for previous education and training, the training period will be shortened proportionately and the eligible person and VA so notified. 

Choice Act

In accordance with Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act, the University establishes the following guidelines on in-state tuition for eligible veterans and/or dependents. 


  • A student using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active-Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Veteran Readiness and Employment), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), or Chapter 35** (Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program [DEA]) of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Virginia while attending a school located in Virginia (regardless of their formal State of residence).  
  • An individual using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits who lives in the state in where the IHL is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years* of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.  
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending a school located in the Commonwealth of Virginia (regardless of his/her formal State of residence). 
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill®, benefits who lives in Virginia while attending a school located in Virginia (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty. 
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks) at the same institution. The person so described must have enrolled in the institution prior to the expiration of the three-year period* following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30, chapter 33, chapter 35**, or chapter 31 of title 38, United States Code.   


**Effective August 1, 2022, P.L. 117-68 amends title 38, United States Code to include Ch. 35/Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program.  



To demonstrate eligibility for in-state tuition rates a student must:

  1. Submit a Military Educational Benefits Request Form (MEBR) and indicate intent to use the Choice Act on the form
  2. Submit a DD-214 discharge document. (Dependents must submit DD-214 of transferor). The DD-214 discharge document must indicate:
    1. Net Active Service – Must be at least 90 days of service
    2. Character of Service – Must have honorable discharge
  3. Submit a DD Form 1300 Report of Casualty document, if student is using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
  4. Submit a copy of active military orders if student is using transferred benefits and transferor is on active duty
  5. Provide proof of Commonwealth of Virginia address

Students must submit either a DD Form 214, DD Form 1300, or active-duty orders.


To demonstrate eligibility, documentation must be received by the dates indicated below:

  • Fall Semester - September 1
  • January Term or Spring Semester - February 1
  • Summer Session - May 1

Students are responsible for demonstrating eligibility for in-state tuition under the Choice Act.

Yellow Ribbon

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help you pay for higher out-of-state, private school, or graduate school tuition that the Post-9/11 GI Bill® doesn’t cover. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® pays up to all public in-state tuition and fees. However, additional funds may be available to the student through the Yellow Ribbon program. Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Program Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and feeds to contribute. VA will match that amount and directly pay the institution up to 50% of the difference.

Who Is Eligible?

Individuals below who are entitled to the maximum benefit level, based on service requirements, may receive this funding.

  • Those who served at least 36 months of active duty after Sept 10, 2001
  • Purple Heart recipients with an honorable discharge and any amount of service
  • Service members who were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 days in a row after Sept 10, 2001
  • A dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • Fry Scholarship recipients using benefits on or after August 1, 2018
Degree Level School Number of Students Max School Contribution Amount (per year)
Undergraduate All 5 $1,000
Graduate Darden School of Business Unlimited $2,500
Graduate Batten School of Leadership & Public Policy Unlimited $2,500
Graduate School of Law Unlimited $2,500

Yellow Ribbon Contacts:

Undergraduate: Kiama Anthony Bishop: veteransbenefits@virginia.edu
Darden: Susan Loduha: sloduha@darden.virginia.edu
Law: Jennifer Hulvey: jennifer.hulvey@law.virginia.edu
Batten: Amanda Crombie: ajcrombie@virginia.edu

VA Delayed Payment Compliance

A covered individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or 33, Post-9/11 ® benefits.

Covered individuals shall be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility (COE) for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website - eBenefits, or VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Covered individuals are also required to:

  1. Submit a Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of the University Registrar no later than the first day of classes.
  2. Submit a Veterans’ Educational Benefits Request (VEBR) Form
  3. Submit a VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, if the student has used their educational benefits at another institution.

The University of Virginia will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33 of this title.

Facility Compliance for Chapter 31

A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31 VR&E. 

  1. Covered individuals are permitted to attend or participate in the course(s) of education during the period beginning on the date the covered individual provides to the facility a valid VA authorization, such as a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) beneficiaries, and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
    1. The date on which tuition/fees (T&F) payment from the VA is made to the facility.
    2. 90 days after the date the facility submits a valid T&F invoice to the VA following receipt of the VA authorization.
  2. UVA will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees; the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities; or require any covered individual to borrow additional funds due to delayed T&F payment from the VA under Chapter 31 VR&E.


If you are an active-duty service member or a veteran who was honorably discharged more than 3 years before your enrollment, please contact the Office of Virginia Status for questions on in-state eligibility.

Documents and questions can be sent to veteransbenefits@virginia.edu.

The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA) is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia. Our office investigates complaints of GI Bill® beneficiaries. While most complaints should initially follow the school grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved at the school, the beneficiary should contact our office via email saa@dvs.virginia.gov.