Mar 24, 2023  
Undergraduate Record 2020-2021 
Undergraduate Record 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Dining, Housing, and Tuition & Fees

 Click on a link to be taken to the entry below. 

Dining at UVA

Dining provides students numerous opportunities for meals and snacks from dining rooms, food courts, coffee shops, and convenience stores around Grounds. Whether you just need a between-class snack or a full-course meal, it’s covered when you have a meal plan. Students have the opportunity to eat on Grounds from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. in over 25 locations.

When you purchase a meal plan you get: swipes for meals at residential dining rooms on Grounds; Plus Dollars to spend at UVA Dining cafes, food courts, and convenience stores; and meal exchange opportunities at certain locations. You can also use your Plus Dollars with our local delivery partners – Papa John’s and Ming Dynasty.

The University student identification card is the student’s entry into the residential dining rooms. It allows students to use the meals and Plus Dollars on their dining plans, and tells them the current balances. If the card is lost or stolen, the card office must be notified immediately at 924-4508 to deactivate the card. A separate card is issued to students in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

For more information, please visit the UVA Dining website at, email or contact the Meal Plan Coordinator, UVA Dining, P.O. Box 400312, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4312; (434) 982-5140. Dining locations are accessible to students with disabilities.

Meal Plan Changes

Meal plans are annual contracts. First year students are required to purchase a meal plan for the entire year. As a courtesy, we provide a change period in between semesters. All changes must be made on the UVA Dining website ( by completing the “Dining Plan Change Request” Form or by filling out an “Intent to Change” Form at the Dining Services Administrative Office at Observatory Hill during a specific time period each semester. Please note that removing your meal plan from your QuickPay system does not change or cancel your meal plan.

Students may purchase or upgrade their meal plan at any time during the academic year. There is no fee for upgrading meal plans; however a $50 Early Termination Fee (ETF) is applied to all early terminations except for students graduating in December or studying abroad. The 2016/17 meal plan rates are available on the UVA Dining website at

Meal Plan Options

All Access Meal Plans let students enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the residential dining rooms. Students receive all access to the dining rooms with these plans. Please visit our website at for more information on all of our meal plan options. Plus Dollars: All meal plans include Plus Dollars, which can be used in all dining locations. They work like an ATM or debit card, and students can use Plus Dollars for beverages, snacks, or full meals. The total purchase price is subtracted from the Plus Dollar dining plan balance. Students may increase the flexibility of their meal plan by purchasing additional Plus Dollars at any time. All charges are billed by Student Financial Services, and funds are available within one business day of sign-up.

Please note that the above descriptions of the meal plans do not include all relevant terms and conditions of the contract. Please refer to for complete terms and conditions.

Meal Exchange/TO-GO Meals

Our policies on Meal Exchange and To-Go meals at UVA Dining are as follows: A To-Go meal counts as a “Meal Exchange” swipe, and is deducted from your account in the same manner. With the Ultimate Access Meal Plan, you are allowed three swipes per day to use for either Meal Exchange or To-Go meals. With the All Access 7, Semester 160, Semester 80 and Semester 50 Meal Plans, you are allowed two swipes per day to use for Meal Exchange or To-Go Meals. There is an hourly limitation on swipes:you are allowed one swipe per hour whether you use a Meal Exchange or To-Go swipe. We want you to join us for your meals in our locations and share in the experience of dining at The University of Virginia.

Residential Colleges and Language Houses

Brown College requires that all residents purchase a residential meal plan and it is expected that residents will eat in the College dining hall at the Fresh Food Company in Newcomb Hall. Hereford College requires that all residents purchase a residential dining plan and it is expected that residents will eat at Runk Dining Room for Sunday brunch or dinner and two additional dinners between Monday and Thursday evening.

Language Houses: The French and Spanish language houses require that all residents participate in a Language House Dining Plan. Students are required to eat dinner Monday through Thursday at their respective language house.

Athletic Dining Plans: Varsity student athletes are required to participate in an Athletic dining plan. These plans include dinners at the John Paul Jones athletic dining room, featuring recipes designed to meet the special nutritional needs of student-athletes. Only student athletes on varsity NCAA competing sports teams are eligible to participate in Athletic Dining plans.

Housing & Residence Life

A unit of the Office of the Dean of Students and Business Operations, Housing & Residence Life (HRL) works collaboratively to create inclusive, welcoming communities where residents are empowered and encouraged to develop as scholars and leaders through self-governance and engagement in their residential community. HRL’s primary focus is to provide services and programmatic direction for all on-Grounds residential students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty, staff, and conference guests. With over 2 million square feet of residential space, HRL strives to create environments that support the academic, cultural, and social goals of the University. Specific living and learning programs include language immersion houses, three residential colleges, a comprehensive first-year experience, and specialized programming for second-year students and transfer students. Residential offerings encompass an array of building styles, including traditional residence halls, suite-style residence halls, apartment complexes, townhouses, and single-family homes.

As part of the University’s commitment to the first-year experience, the University’s long-standing policy is that all first-year students must live on Grounds. However, for 2020-2021, the University is allowing students to remain in their home communities for any reason if they desire. After an incoming first-year undergraduate student submits their housing application and electronically signs the housing agreement, they will receive an assignment from HRL. The student will be notified of the room assignment before the beginning of the academic session.

After their first year in residence, a student who wishes to continue to live in on-Grounds accommodations must submit an online housing application. Upperclass housing is typically available in residential colleges, language houses, and apartments.

Room rent is charged by the semester and is payable through Student Financial Services. All housing charges are subject to change.

All correspondence regarding on-Grounds housing should be addressed to Housing & Residence Life, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735. HRL also may be reached at 434-924-3736 or

Housing & Residence Life Policies

Safety is the number one priority for the University and is a shared responsibility with students. The following policies are designed to ensure student safety and complement the University’s mission. The Terms & Conditions for Undergraduate Housing and the COVID-19 Addendum can be found at

Students who live on Grounds should report any safety concerns to a member of Resident Staff and call University Police at 911 for emergencies. Students should never allow someone they do not know to enter residence halls. Room doors should remain locked when students are not in their rooms and when they are asleep. Entrance doors and bathroom doors must be kept closed and locked at all times. Any maintenance issues with doors or entrances should be reported using HRL’s Maintenance Requests page at, and emergency facilities issues should be called in to the Facilities Management Service Desk (434-924-3053).

Students should report medical conditions that may warrant an accommodation to the Student Disability Access Center (SDAC) within the Department of Student Health & Wellness. SDAC will advise HRL if a medical condition warrants an accommodation.

First-year students cannot park a vehicle on Grounds during their first two semesters at the University. Any exceptions must be approved in advance by an Assistant or Associate Dean of Students in HRL. Exceptions are only granted in extraordinary circumstances, which include, but are not limited to, participation on an athletic team that practices off Grounds (names must be submitted by the Athletics Department), participation in equestrian activities off Grounds, ongoing medical appointments off Grounds, or employment off Grounds. HRL recommends that all first-year students focus on their acclimation to the University and take part in the University’s residential experience. The availability of a vehicle on Grounds is only for those who truly need it. Misuse of an exception for purposes other than what is listed in the exception letter will result in the revoking of parking privileges and referral to the University Judiciary Committee (UJC).

Upperclass and graduate students may live in University housing on Grounds, in fraternity or sorority houses, or in other privately owned properties.

All students who live on Grounds are subject to the Terms & Conditions of Housing and the COVID-19 Addendum found at as well as HRL policies found at

The terms include billing students for facility damages. When specific responsibility for damage cannot be determined, all costs are divided equally among the residents of that unit, all who have access to a common area space, or all who live in that building.

Fire safety inspections occur each semester for randomly selected rooms and common spaces. Students are expected to make corrections if cited by the inspectors or if directed by HRL staff. Failure to make corrections will result in referral to the UJC. 

Sales and soliciting are prohibited within University residential areas. The only exception is during University elections, when student candidates may enter a University residential building with a student host who lives in that building. The candidate must be with their host at all times. Student candidates must follow these guidelines and those outlined by the University Board of Elections. 

Fliers and posters are not permitted on the exterior of University residential buildings, including doors and windows. Fliers can only be posted inside a residential building on designated bulletin boards or in designated posting areas. Fliers that are posted on non-designated areas will be removed. Staples and push pins may be used on bulletin boards, and blue painter’s tape is the only adhesive that can be used for all other designated posting areas. Financial charges will be assessed to individual students or to organizations for damages made by postings.

Students are strongly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance, as the University is not responsible for damage to residents’ property.

At any time with notice, the University reserves its right to reassign a resident temporarily or permanently to alternative University housing deemed appropriate by the University based on the needs of the University. The University also reserves its right to designate currently assigned housing spaces for expanded or decreased occupancy or for other purposes, based on the needs of the University. Such relocation or reassignment does not release you from the financial obligations owed to Housing & Residence Life for 2020-2021 housing. In the event of an emergency or other exigent circumstance, including but not limited to closure due to public health emergency and crises, the University and its agents may remove residents’ belongings from University housing (rooms, common areas, buildings) for cleaning, inspection, repair, storage, and/or protection. The University does not assume any obligation or liability for loss or damage to items of personal property that may occur during removal of resident belongings. The University may destroy and discard personal belongings such as perishable items, alcohol, illegal drugs and drug-related paraphernalia, explosives, and hazardous materials. Should the University discover items that raise concern for immediate safety or a significant violation of University policy or law, this matter may be referred to the appropriate authorities.

Privately Owned (Off-Grounds) Accommodations

HRL provides resources to help students navigate the decisions involved in living off Grounds. HRL sponsors programs and produces materials that are aimed at deciding where to live, understanding leases, creating a safe living environment, developing a budget, and more. For more information, contact HRL by phone at 434-924-3736 or visit the Off-Grounds Housing section of HRL’s website at

On-Grounds Housing

Alderman Road Hall-Style These residences accommodate up to 1,650 first-year students in nine hall-style houses. These buildings feature an interior hallway configuration, with double rooms opening onto a common hallway and sharing a common bathroom. Nearby are the O-Hill Dining Room, the Aquatic & Fitness Center, and Slaughter Gym. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Houses: Balz-Dobie, Cauthen, Gibbons, Kellogg, Lile-Maupin, Shannon, Tuttle-Dunnington, Watson-Webb, and Woody
Features: air conditioning, large meeting rooms, study lounges, a mailroom, and laundry facilities
Average room size: 15’ x 11’

Alderman Road Suite-Style Up to 385 first-year students live in the three suite-style houses in the Alderman Road Residence Area. Each suite features a common living area, bathroom, and five double or triple bedrooms accommodating 10 to 12 residents. Nearby are the O-Hill Dining Room, Runk Dining Room, and the Aquatic & Fitness Center. Laundry facilities are located in nearby Gooch and Gibbons. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Houses: Courtenay, Dunglison, and Fitzhugh
Features: bedrooms with built-in closets and drawers, large common lounge in Fitzhugh
Average room size: 16’ x 12’

Bice House Apartments An eight-story apartment building located just south of Central Grounds on Brandon Avenue, Bice House accommodates 280 students in double occupancy two- and three-bedroom apartments. Each apartment is furnished and air conditioned. There is a large common area lounge, study room, laundry room, and mailroom for package pick-up on the ground level. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Bond House Apartments Opened in 2019, this six-story apartment building is located on Brandon Avenue, above a shared underground parking garage. Bond House accommodates approximately 300 students in single-occupancy, four-bedroom apartments with two full baths. Each apartment is furnished and includes full-size beds, built-in closets, and kitchens with refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and microwave. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Copeley Apartments Located on North Grounds, this complex contains 70 two-bedroom apartments. All apartments accommodate two students in large single rooms that feature full-size beds. Each apartment is furnished with beds, wardrobes (each with a built-in dresser), desks, chairs, a sofa, armchairs, a dining table and chairs, refrigerator, and stove. A laundry room is available within the complex. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Faulkner Apartments (Hench, Younger, and Mitchell) This complex houses approximately 150 students. These accommodations are four-person, furnished apartments consisting of a living room, a kitchen, four single bedrooms with full-size beds, and a bathroom. The community includes laundry facilities and a community picnic area. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Gooch/Dillard Suite-Style These suite-style buildings are located at the intersection of Alderman and Stadium roads. Gooch and Dillard accommodate up to 615 first-year residents. A typical two-story suite accommodates six students in double rooms. Each suite features a living area and bath facilities. The community includes large multipurpose lounges and study areas. Runk Dining Hall is conveniently located behind the center of the complex. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Features: air conditioning, common lounges, meeting space, and laundry facilities.
Average room size: 11’6” x 15’

Lambeth Field Apartments Located north of Central Grounds, this complex contains 102 two-bedroom apartments and 72 three-bedroom apartments featuring double occupancy bedrooms, one or one-and-a-half bath, a living room, and a kitchen with refrigerator and stove. All apartments are air conditioned and furnished. A convenience store and programming/study space are located in Lambeth Commons at the center of the complex. A laundry room and a mailroom for package delivery also are on site. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Johnson, Malone, and Weedon Hall-Style These three buildings each house 95 students in air-conditioned, single- and double-occupancy rooms that open onto a common hallway. Each floor shares a common bathroom and two furnished lounges, one equipped as a shared kitchen (with a sink and microwave) for the building. Johnson, Malone, and Weedon Houses allow students to come together for socializing or studying, combining community living with the opportunity for the privacy of singles. Area features include a dining hall, laundry facilities, and outdoor recreation areas. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Features: air conditioning, lounges, kitchens, and outdoor recreation areas.
Average room size: 15’4” x 11’4” (double), 8’10” x 11’4” (single)

McCormick Road Hall-Style The McCormick Road Residence Area houses about 1,325 first-year students in 10 buildings which accommodate approximately 140 students each. All 10 buildings have been recently renovated and have air conditioning. Bedrooms are double rooms that open onto a common corridor and share a common bathroom. All rooms have wireless Internet access.

Houses: Bonnycastle, Dabney, Echols, Emmet, Hancock, Humphreys, Kent, Lefevre, Metcalf, and Page
Features: study lounges, a mailroom, “The Castle” dining location, laundry facilities, and vending machines
Average room size: 16’ x 12’

The Lawn Rooms on the East and West Lawn are part of Thomas Jefferson’s original Academical Village. Undergraduate degree applicants are eligible to live in these accommodations during their final year of study. A student selection committee determines who lives on the Lawn based on each student’s scholastic and extracurricular achievements. All rooms are single occupancy and have wireless Internet access.

Rental Rates

The following University housing rental charges are for the 2020-2021 session.

Single Student Rental Rates (Per occupant for nine-month session. Rates do not include telephone or cable TV.)

First-Year Student Rate Single, Double, or Triple Room $6,680
Bice House Double Room $7,250
Bond House Single Room $8,120
The Lawn Regular Single Room $7,520
Small Single (no fireplace) $7,370
Faulkner Apartments Single Room $8,120
International Residential College Single Room $7,760
Single Room (private bath) $8,120
Double Room $6,710
Lambeth Field Double Room $7,250
Copeley Apartments Single Room $8,120
Brown Residential College Single Room (semi-private) $7,760
Hereford Residential College Single Room $7,060
Double Room $6,710
La Maison Française (French House) Single Room $8,120
Double Room $7,250
La Casa Bolívar (Spanish House)
Single Room $8,120
Double Room $7,250
Shea House (Language House) Single Room $8,120
Double Room $7,250

Residential Colleges

Brown Residential College Located on Central Grounds between Newcomb and McCormick roads, Brown College consists of 12 buildings known as portals. Students create both a neighborhood and a home, infusing Brown College with their passions, talents, and energy.

Monroe Hill opened in 1986 as the first modern residential college at the University (the Lawn was the original residential college). Now named Brown College at Monroe Hill in recognition of the endowment funded by the Brown family, the College is led by a Principal and a Director of Studies. In addition to two resident scholars, about 15 nonresident Faculty Fellows from departments and schools across the University maintain close ties with Brown.

Residential spaces consist of air-conditioned suites occupied by two students who share bath areas with members of the adjoining suite(s). There are 280 spaces assigned in 143 suites, with approximately 56 of the spaces reserved each year for first-year students. Tunnels located in the lower floors of the buildings offer a convenient means of connecting students and provide access to on-site laundry facilities, study space, and two community lounges (one with a kitchen).

Brown Residential College requires a supplemental application in addition to the Housing Application and Agreement form. For more information, see Upperclass students living in Brown College are required to participate in a meal plan.

Houses: Davis, Gildersleeve, Harrison, Holmes, Long, Mallet, McGuffey, Peters, Rogers, Smith, Tucker, and Venable
Features: air conditioning, study lounge, kitchen, TV lounges, library, and laundry facilities
Average room size: 11’4”  x 12’

Hereford Residential College Hereford Residential College houses first-year and upperclass students. These houses are located on Observatory Mountain (O-Hill) near Stadium and McCormick roads. The buildings have rooms opening onto a common hallway with shared bathrooms. Two lounges are located on each floor where students may come together for socializing. Students choose Hereford College because of its diversity and its active programming and events built around themes of mindfulness, social awareness, and sustainability.

Hereford College opened in 1992 and is named in honor of Frank Hereford, former president of the University. Hereford College is led by a Principal and Director of Studies and supported by a Director of Programs and approximately 20 Faculty and Community Fellows from throughout the University. Hereford College houses 60 first-year students and 140 upperclass students each year.

Hereford College requires a supplemental application in addition to the Housing Application and Agreement form. For more information, see Upperclass students living in Hereford College are required to participate in a meal plan.

Houses: Norris and Whyburn
Features: air conditioning, study lounges, meeting space at Vaughan House (the Principal’s residence), TV lounges, a dining hall, laundry facilities, a mailroom, and community kitchens
Average room size: 15’4” x 11’4” (double)

International Residential College The International Residential College (IRC) is a vibrant, enriching residential and academic community for over 300 undergraduate students. Approximately 70 percent of residents are from the United States and approximately 30 percent are from countries outside the U.S.

IRC residents benefit from strong self-governance through a student council and council committees, as well as a variety of social events, a peer mentor program, travel abroad scholarships, study spaces, and intramural teams – all with a focus on global and intercultural issues.

Consisting of four houses, the IRC is located near the corner of Emmet Street and Sprigg Lane, across from Memorial Gym. With two types of housing, all IRC buildings are air-conditioned. Munford and Gwathmey are two connected hallway-style buildings containing a total of 80 double and 56 single rooms. Yen and Hoxton are suite-style and accommodate a total of 96 students in 26 double and 45 single rooms that open onto a common area. A kitchen is located on each floor of the four houses, with laundry rooms located in Munford, Gwathmey, and Yen.

A total of 313 residents live in the IRC, 72 of whom are first-year students and 241 of whom are upperclass students.

The IRC requires a supplemental application in addition to the Housing Application and Agreement form. To learn more, see

Houses: Gwathmey, Munford, Hoxton, and Yen
Features: study lounges, kitchens on each floor, TV lounges, and laundry facilities
Average room size: 15’6” x 12’ (Munford/Gwathmey double)

Language Houses

The University offers three houses for a variety of language groups. These houses provide a unique opportunity for students to live in an environment of total language immersion. Many of these groups are located in Shea House on the corner of Monroe Lane and Jefferson Park Avenue. A total of 75 students live in this building. The community in this building is made up of groups, or “pods,” studying languages such as Arabic, ASL, Chinese, German, Hebrew, Hindi and Urdu, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, and Russian.

Next door at 1408 Jefferson Park Avenue is La Casa Bolívar (the Spanish House), which houses 23 students. La Maison Française (the French House) is located next to the Spanish House at 1404 Jefferson Park Avenue and houses up to 27 students.

Students may apply to live in a language house after their first year. Each house requires a supplemental application, and students may be required to participate in a meal plan. For more information, students should contact the appropriate language department or visit,, or

Tuition and Fees

University tuition and fees, listed below, consist of the tuition and required fees, as well as a student activities fee. The student activities fee subsidizes activities approved by the Student Council, such as publications, club sports, and service organizations. University Board of Visitors sets tuition and fees annually. University tuition and fees are subject to change.

Effective July 1, 2020

2020-2021 Academic Year Rates as Approved by the Board of Visitors in December 2019

All students are considered full-time students, and are charged full time tuition and fees, even if they are enrolled in less than 12 credits. Part-time status that would impact tuition and fee charges must be approved by the applicable school and is only approved in rare situations, such as a medical condition.


VA - In-State

Non-VA - Out of State

College of Arts & Sciences, Curry School of Education (First, Second, Third & Fourth Year)

$ 14,188

$ 48,036

School of Architecture, School of Nursing (Fourth Year)

$ 14,188

$ 48,036

School of Architecture (First, Second and Third Year)

$ 15,224

$ 49,110

School of Nursing (First Year)

$ 18,260

$ 52,218

School of Nursing (Second Year)

School of Nursing (Third Year)

$ 16,260

$ 16,260

$ 51,218

$ 50,182

School of Engineering and Applied Science (First Year)

$ 21,566

$ 55,730

School of Engineering and Applied Science (Second Year)

$ 19,566

$ 54,730

School of Engineering and Applied Science (Third Year)

School of Engineering and Applied Science (Fourth Year)

$ 19,566

$ 18,530

$ 53,694

$ 52,616

Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy (Third Year)

$ 24,742

$ 58,956

Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy (Fourth Year)

$ 23,072

$ 57,286

McIntire School of Commerce (Third and Fourth Year)

$ 24,796

$ 59,040

SCPS Undergraduate (inc.UG certificates, & Fully Online UG tuition rate) (per credit hour)

$ 488

$ 488

Fully Online Active Military (per credit hour)

$ 250

$ 250

Community Scholars - Undergraduate (per credit hour)

$ 540

$ 1,568

Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Certificate Program

$ 30,016

$ 35,400


Activity Fees

Va - In State

Non Va - Out of State

Student Activity Fee-Regular Session

Student Activity Fee – Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 only for students not in Charlottesville area





Activity Fee-Architecture



Activity Fee-Arts & Sciences



Activity Fee-Batten



Activity Fee-Curry



Activity Fee-Engineering



Activity Fee-McIntire Undergraduate



Activity Fee-Nursing






Application Fees



Application Fee-Architecture



Application Fee-Batten



Application Fee-Curry



Application Fee-International Study



Application Fee-McIntire Undergraduate



Application Fee-Nursing



Application Fee-SCPS



Application Fee-Undergraduate



Application Fee-University Internship Program






Other Fees



Continuous Enrollment/Affiliated Status Fee (per term)



Music Lessons



Orientation Fee-1st Yr students



Orientation Fee-transferring students



School of Architecture Design Technology Fee (BS, MAR, LAND MLAR)



School of Architecture Design Technology Fee (PLAN BUEP, PLAN MUEP, UNDAR ARU)



SCPS Continuing Education Units (per credit hour)



Nursing Laboratory Fee (per credit hour)



Summer Language Institute Fee



Study Abroad Administrative Fee (for students attending non-UVA programs) (per term)



Study Abroad (per credit hour)



International Student Fee (per term)



Undergraduate Credits Taken in Excess of 125% of Program Requirements (per credit hous)



Curry Off Grounds Tuition (per credit hour)






K-12 Educators (Undergraduate and Graduate, per credit hour)



Fully Online Undergraduate and Certificate Programs (per credit hour)






Summer 2021 and J-term 2021 (see 2019-20 Schedule for Summer 2020)



Summer Session Undergraduate Tuition-per credit hour






Residential College-Brown



Residential College-French



Residential College-Hereford



Residential College-Monroe



Residential College-International



Residential College-Spanish






Comprehensive Fees



Off Grounds Full Time Research Only (annual charge)



Off Grounds Calculated Comprehensive Fee-Per Credit Hour



Regular Session Calculated Comprehensive Fee-Total

Regular Session Calculated Comprehensive Fee-Total -Revised Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 only for students not in Charlottesville area





Summer Session Calculated Comprehensive Fee



Special Session Calculated Comprehensive Fee



Jan Term Calculated Comprehensive Fee



Classification as an In-State Student

Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 et. seq. of the Code of Virginia.

Applicants for admission apply for in-state status by completing the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges during the completion of the Common Application for Admission.

Currently enrolled students apply for changes in residency status through the Office of Virginia Status, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203. You can also contact the Virginia Status office at 434-982-3391 or by email at Applications must be received prior to the first day of class of the semester for which in-state privileges are sought.

Students classified as non-Virginia residents in current degree programs should contact the Office of Virginia Status if they are considering applying for admission to other degree programs.

In-State Surcharge

Students with an initial entry date of Fall 2006 or later may not exceed attempted hours that total 125% of the credit hours needed for a specific degree program and retain in-state tuition eligibility. The Code of Virginia states that if a student who is classified as in-state exceeds 125% of the required credit hours to complete their degree, they will be subject to a surcharge each semester thereafter. This surcharge will appear on the student account, typically at the end of the add/drop period each term.

The following courses and credit hours shall be excluded: remedial courses; transfer credits from another college or university that do not meet degree requirements for general education courses or the student’s chosen program of study; advanced placement or international baccalaureate credits that were obtained while in high school or another secondary school program; and dual enrollment, college-level credits obtained by the student prior to receiving a high school diploma.

The Code of Virginia establishes rules for eligibility for in-state tuition for all students enrolled at public institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Section 23-7.4:F of the Code of Virginia further requires undergraduate students to maintain progress toward the degree to comply with continued eligibility for in-state tuition.

Inquiries about the surcharge and about specific conditions for appeal of the surcharge can be made to Student Financial Services at, or in person at our offices in Carruthers Hall, at 1001 North Emmet Street. Appeals of the surcharge will be reviewed by Student Financial Services and your School of enrollment.

General Payment Policies

Auditing Courses Undergraduate students currently enrolled for regular courses are charged for audited courses according to the tuition and fees schedule. However, individuals not currently enrolled who wish to audit courses at the University must do so through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and are subject to their rate schedule.

Credit Balances Credit balances resulting from a scholarship, fellowship, or University awarded grant or loan are refunded by U.S. mail to the local mailing address that exists in the Student Information System to arrive on or about September 1 in the fall and February 1 in the spring, unless direct deposit is in effect. Credit balances resulting from the installment payment plan are refunded in mid-November for the fall semester and mid-April for the spring semester.

Credit balances resulting from overpayment may first be used to offset any other past due amounts owed the University. Credit balances of less than $5 are not refunded unless requested.

Direct Deposit Student can enroll in direct deposit by signing into the Student Information System and clicking on the link on the Finances section to Sign up for Direct Deposit. Students not enrolled in direct deposit will have checks sent via U.S. mail to their local mailing address, a process that can take an additional 10 days. Direct deposit of credit balances is strongly encouraged, though not required. If not chosen, checks are issued; however, creation of checks is a slower process than direct deposit.

Failure to Pay University Financial Obligations Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due financial obligations. Suspension includes dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current students will have their debts offset against any credit balances and other proceeds, such as loan checks. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their student account preventing them from adding classes or obtaining an academic transcript. Past due obligations are reported to the state for offset against state income tax refunds, state vendor payments, and lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to fifty percent of their debt.

Federal Loans The University participates in the Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Further information on Federal Loans is available in the Financial Aid section of this Record.

Home and Mailing Addresses Student Financial Services uses the home and mailing addresses that are recorded in SIS. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain current addresses in the SIS. Failure to update addresses on a timely basis may result in misdirected refund checks. Requests for reissuance of misdirected refund checks will require 30 days from the date of the original check before they can be processed. Because the local mailing address is used for refunds sent by check, please ensure your local mailing address is always up to date in the SIS.

Payment by the Billing Due Date Students are expected to satisfy all outstanding obligations to the University before they are permitted to attend classes for a given term. If outstanding obligations are not satisfied, courses are dropped after 5 p.m. of the Friday of the first week of classes.

Senior Citizens In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. Eligible persons should contact Student Financial Services to request the waiver.

To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until final registration is completed.

Taxability of Scholarships and Fellowships The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code permits the exclusion of scholarships or fellowships from income up to the amount used for the payment of course-related expenses (i.e., tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment). The IRS does not consider the cost of room and board to be course-related. Stipends or living allowances paid as part of a scholarship or fellowship are considered taxable income. The University is required to withhold taxes on such payments only to nonresident alien recipients not claiming treaty benefits. However, all recipients are required to report their scholarships and fellowships to the IRS by filing a yearly tax return and to pay the requisite taxes. These provisions apply to all scholarship and fellowship recipients of domestic source grants, regardless of whether the recipient is an undergraduate, graduate student, citizen, or nonresident alien. Students should retain receipts for tax deductible items. The University cannot provide tax counsel.

University Awarded Loans Proceeds from University awarded loans (e.g., Health Professions, Nursing, or institutional loans) are not distributed by check, but are applied directly to the student’s University account. Undergraduates must be registered for at least twelve credits, to be eligible to receive credit from these loan proceeds.

Military Educational Benefits UREG (Office of the University Registrar) is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville VA, 22904-4204; (434) 982-6000, or visit

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: Inquiries regarding Military Educational Benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: UREG (Office of the University Registrar), P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville VA 22904-4203; (434) 924-4122; or e-mail

Students who have applied for Military Educational Benefits and also are receiving federal and/or institutional financial aid will see an adjustment to your financial aid based on the amount of your Military Educational Benefits.  Please contact Student Financial Services (434) 982-6000 for further information.

Other Fees and Special Charges

Affiliated Status Fee Students are charged a fee of $211 for each semester they are on an approved leave of absence or each semester they are not enrolled for courses in a resident school but wish to maintain their matriculated status in the school. Students who are not engaged in any course work during the semester in which they expect to graduate must pay the Affiliated Status fee.

Damage to University Property The student or students responsible are charged at the cost of repair or replacement.

Diploma Fees Replacement and duplicate diplomas may be obtained upon payment of a $50 fee plus a mailing fee.

I.D. Replacement Fee A fee of $15 is charged to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated student I.D. card. Payment must be made at the time of replacement.

International Services Fee All students attending the University under the F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status are required to enroll for full time study in both the fall and spring semesters (12 or more credits for undergraduate students). Any change in visa or citizenship status must be submitted with original documentation to the International Student and Scholar Programs Office in Minor Hall. You are also required to obtain a Social Security Number if you will be receiving University-awarded financial support.

International Students will be charged a $100 International Services Fee. The revenue offsets costs associated with the operation of the federally mandated Student and Exchange Visitor Program and the associated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Further, the fees will ensure that the University is in compliance with federal mandates, as well as supporting the International Studies Office to have an adequate number of highly-skilled professionals who can address all student legal status issues.

Late Registration Fee Students who register for the term after the end of the first week of classes will be assessed a $25 late registration fee. Students who register more than two weeks after the end of the first week of classes will be assessed a $50 fee.

Returned Check Service Fee The University assesses a $50 service fee for all checks returned by the bank as non-negotiable. Checks are automatically redeposited by the bank once before they are returned to the University.

Registration and Payment

Fall and Spring Semester Registration Registration is conducted through the SIS each semester. Instructions for registering are available on-line at Upon completion of the registration process, an individual is classified as a registered student. Not attending classes does not alter the registration status or the assessment of tuition and fee charges. Once registered for a semester, a student may terminate registration only through official withdrawal from the University.

Monthly Payment Plan The University of Virginia offers a Monthly Payment Plan in conjunction with OnPlanU by Flywire. Signup is by semester, and there is a $45 per semester fee for this plan. This payment plan allows parents and/or students to make up to 5 monthly payments per semester for tuition and fees, housing, and dining. Participation in the Monthly Payment Plan is optional and available to all students. Please note that this plan is not available as an option to pay Summer or January term tuition. The plan is only available for the Fall and Spring terms. For more information, go to

Payment and Late Payment The final date for payment of student account balances for University charges is included in the account statement on-line for students. The payment due date for the Fall and Spring semesters is typically 9 days prior to the start of the term. Statements of charges are available on-line through UVAPay (available through the SIS Student Center). Any student who fails to pay the amount due by the specified payment due date is subject to a 1.5% late fee assessed on the amount past due.

The late fee carries a due date separate from the original charge. Requests for waivers of late fees due to extenuating circumstances must be made in writing to and must be received by Student Financial Services by the late fee due date.

Checks returned for insufficient or uncollected funds are immediately redeposited by our bank. Payment of tuition and fees by a check returned from the bank will incur a late fee if the repayment is not received by the due date for the charge(s) in question. A $50 service charge will also be assessed. Postdated checks should not be submitted; each check is immediately processed for payment regardless of its date. Students who have three returned checks will be denied the ability to pay via personal checks or through the electronic check function in UVAPay.

The University accepts, on-line only, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit card payments for tuition, fees, housing, or dining charges. There is an additional 2.75 % convenience fee charged by the payment processor for credit card or debit card payments.

The University utilizes a third party processor for credit card and electronic check payments. Credit cards and electronic checks can only be accepted on-line via the UVAPay portal. There is no service fee for paying with an electronic check.

Special Arrangements for Students with Learning Needs or Disabilities Special tuition arrangements are possible for students who must take fewer than nine credits due to a diagnosed learning need or disability. Such students must contact the Student Disability Access Center at (434) 243-5180 for a review of their situation and must have their reduced course load approved by the dean of their school.

Waiver of Comprehensive Fees Employee Waiver Program University of Virginia full-time salaried faculty (9- or 12-month), ROTC faculty, full-time staff, and health care professionals (including health care employees working 20 hours or 50%) will qualify to have their comprehensive fee waived. There is no minimum enrolled credits nor is there a minimum time period of employment required for eligibility. Eligibility is determined on a term by term basis defined by your employment level. (Please note, wage employees are not included and off grounds fees are not included in the employee fee waiver program.)

Medical Center employees, please contact your HR Benefits team to review eligibility and request to apply the waiver. (Academic employees will be automatically updated if they are eligible and enrolled in credits.)

For additional details and eligibility regarding Tuition Education Benefits through University Human Resources, please visit UVA’s Human Resource Education Benefits web page.

Withdrawal from the University

Tuition and Fee Adjustment Policy

The University of Virginia’s Tuition and Fee Adjustment Policy provides consistency related to student withdrawals from a standard academic semester (term). This adjustment policy is also applicable to students who are in an approved part-time status and withdraw from a class or classes after the add/drop period has ended.

If a student withdraws from the University, tuition and required fees are assessed according to the Institutional Tuition and Fees Adjustment Schedule. The treatment of Federal Aid (Title IV) eligibility and Return to Title IV (R2T4) funds follow the federal guidelines determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The treatment of Non-Federal Aid eligibility and return policies adhere to the respective funding source’s adjustment guidelines.

Institutional Tuition and Fees Adjustment Schedule

The institutional tuition and fees adjustment schedule applies to standard academic terms. Tuition and fees will be charged on a percentage basis determined by the school week during which the student withdraws. A standard semester (term) school week is defined as seven (7) calendar days. The first school week begins the first day of the start of the semester (term) period. The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the Dean of the school in which the student is enrolled, and the official withdrawal is recorded within the Student Information System. Any resulting credit due to a student because of a withdrawal will first be offset against any other amounts owed to the University.

Application of the Institutional Tuition and Fees Adjustment Schedule pertains to tuition and required fees. Housing and Dining adjustments are calculated separately and follow different adjustment policies (see UVA Housing & Residence Life and UVA Dining for adjustment guidelines).

The schedule for allocation of tuition and required fees between amounts charged and amounts adjusted is as follows:

School Week % Charged to Student % Adjusted
1 0% 100%
2 20% 80%
3 30% 70%
4 40% 60%
5 50% 50%
6 60% 40%
After 6 100% 0%

Federal Aid Eligibility and Return of Title IV (R2T4) Schedule

Student Financial Services is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence. The federal Title IV financial aid programs must be recalculated in these situations. Title IV funds are Pell, SEOG, and CSAP grants, Perkins Loan, Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, and PLUS loans. Return of Title IV Funds guidelines are regulated by the U.S. Department of Education. See the DOE’s website for current regulations.