Feb 05, 2023  
Graduate Record 2017-2018 
Graduate Record 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Graduate School of Architecture: Academic Rules, Regulations, and Information

About   Academic Rules Departments/Programs   Courses  

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Academic Rules and Regulations

Academic Good Standing
Graduate students, in the School of Architecture, are considered to be in academic good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they meet the following criteria:

• Maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA on all graded graduate course work at the University of Virginia.
• No grade lower than B- (or NC for CR/NC) is acceptable toward meeting the requirements for a graduate degree.

Unsatisfactory work during any semester may be considered sufficient reason for withdrawal of merit based financial assistance, or for enforced withdrawal from the graduate program. Graduate students are considered to be on probation if their cumulative grade point average for graduate work is less than 3.0.

Academic Probation
A student will be placed on academic probation if they fail to maintain academic good standing in any semester (see the “Academic Good Standing” section of the Record).

Academic Suspension
Suspension is enforced withdrawal from the University. Any student who has previously been placed on academic probation will be suspended if placed on probation again. The term of the first suspension is through at least one full fall or one full spring semester. The term of a suspension may be longer, if the Dean’s Office decides it is appropriate for the circumstances. A second suspension is final and the student is not allowed to return to the University.

Procedures for Returning to the University from suspension are described below under Returning to the University. Academic credits taken elsewhere while on academic suspension are not accepted for transfer towards a UVa degree.

Affiliated Status

  • Doctoral Completion (Doctoral Students Only)
  • External Internship/Study
  • Degree Conferral in Absentia

For further information please see the section University Regulations: Academic  in the Graduate Record.

Course Expectations
In each of the degree programs, students should expect that courses may require the purchase of textbooks, software, materials or equipment or students may incur costs in the form of field trips upon occasion.  Students are also expected to complete on-line course evaluations at the end of each semester.

Course Load
The minimum course load, in order to be classified as full-time, is 12 hours graduate students. Special written permission is required for a graduate student to register for fewer than 12 hours or more than 19 hours in any semester, from his or her departmental chair.

Candidates for a degree in one of the four graduate curricula offered in the School of Architecture must hold an approved baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.

Applicants whose previous course work does not include the equivalent of courses listed under the “admission” paragraph for any of the described degree programs must complete those courses before enrollment or, with permission, while enrolled in their respective graduate program.

An explanation of the course numbering system is given in the How to Read Course Listings section of this Record.

Inquiries concerning degrees should be addressed directly to the Chair of each department.

Grade Appeals
Students may appeal negative decisions about enrollment, grades, or general academic policies in the School of Architecture according to the procedures which follow. It is understood that only students may submit appeals. Appeals must be made 7 days after the end of that semester’s examination period; students should consult with the Associate Dean for Academics for details.

Grade Changes
No grade may be changed without the approval of the Dean’s Office after it has been submitted to the University Registrar. The Dean’s Office is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the University Registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. Extra work to raise a grade, once submitted, is not permitted.

The School limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was received, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course.  Incompletes are handled under the Incomplete and NG Policy.

Grading Issues
Students who wish to appeal a grade must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the chair of the department. If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to the Associate Dean for Academics.

Grading System
The following letter grade symbols are used for grading graduate students in the Graduate School of Architecture: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, F, S, U. Graduate School of Architecture: students may take undergraduate courses on a CR/NC basis or a graduate level course as an audit, but those courses may not be offered toward a graduate degree.

Incomplete and Missing Grades
A grade of IN (Incomplete) is not a valid final grade and converts to an F thirty days after the last day of the examination period. Thesis credit deadlines are handled on a case-by-case basis between the student and the faculty member. When assigning a grade of incomplete, a faculty member must complete and submit an Incomplete Grade Submission Form to the School registrar. An extension of the deadline specified above will be considered only in extreme circumstances, and requires the approval of the Program Director. After extension the IN will convert to an F. These regulations apply to courses listed through the School of Architecture. For a course listed in another academic unit, the regulations of that unit apply.

Part-Time Enrollment
Students are ordinarily expected to be enrolled as full-time students.  However, students may choose to enroll for a semester or two on a part-time basis.  Part-time students are limited to two courses per semester or a maximum of eight credits.  Students may not count more than 16 credits taken on a part-time basis toward the degree.  Students registered full time at the University have until the semester before to request conversion of their registration to part-time status. Forms to convert to part-time basis can be found in the Student Services Office.

Ownership of Student Work
The School of Architecture reserves the right to retain student course work for purposes of exhibition and/or publication with appropriate credits. Professors who wish to retain student work for their own purposes must gain the student’s consent and provide adequate documentation of the work for the student.

Returning to the University

Students who wish to return to the University after an absence must be formally readmitted to their last school of enrollment. Readmission requires review and approval by the Associate Dean for Academics and the University Office of the Dean of Students. Students who withdrew for medical reasons will need medical review from the Department of Student Health before they will be approved for readmission to the University; this medical review may take up to three weeks in addition to any deadline set by their school, so students should apply as early as possible when they wish to return to the University.

Students must complete the “Returning to the University” form in their SIS Student Center. The form is only available during certain time lines

  • Open 9/15 for readmission to January/Spring terms
    • Closes four weeks before the start of the term
  • Open 3/1 for the Summer/Fall terms
    • Closes four weeks before the start of the term

If students want to ensure their eligibility for financial aid, they should contact Student Financial Services prior to that semester. For students under academic suspension from the School of Architecture, the completed application must include a statement that (1) addresses the student’s readiness to return to the University in light of any serious difficulties or extenuating circumstances related to his/her absence (e.g. financial, medical, personal hardship), and (2) outlines the student’s academic plan for his/her remaining semesters.

Students who have received a withdrawal notation on their transcript for two consecutive academic terms (not including Summer Session or J-Term), regardless of the lapse of time between the two terms, may not apply for readmission to the University for two years.

Returning to the University is not guaranteed.

Repeated Course
If a course is passed, or failed, and taken a second time for credit, both grades are included in the computation of grade point average and appear on the student’s transcript. A student may repeat a course only once.

Student Owned Computers
Graduate students are required to own a personal laptop or Desktop computer with specified base software. A list of specification is at http://www.arch.virginia.edu/IT_Resources/Computer_Requirements

Time Limitation  
All work for the Master’s degree must be completed within 5 years.  Students who have not been enrolled for more than a year or longer must follow the procedures for admission by applying to the Graduate School of Architecture.  For more information about the admissions process, please visit www.arch.virginia.edu/admissions/graduate/.

Transfer Credit
Only graduate courses taught by members of one of the graduate faculties of the University, offered during the fall or spring term and graded on the standard A through F scale may be counted toward the graded coursework requirement unless otherwise specified in a program’s degree requirements.

Withdrawal from the University

  • Enforced Withdrawal
    Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault that prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by registration at the University. Students who are forced to withdraw during a given term will have the notation”withdrawal date: mm/dd/yyyy” entered on their permanent academic records following the semester in which the action occurred. A grade of W (withdrawal) or WD (administrative withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. In order to accomplish readmission, they must be cleared by the Associate Dean for Students.  Application for readmission must be made to the Associate Dean for Student’s office 60 days in advance of the next University registration period.

  • Medical Withdrawal
    Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.
    In extreme medical circumstances, documented by professional certification, a School of Architecture student has one semester in which to petition for a retroactive medical withdrawal. If approved, all grades convert to W’s and the student is obliged to be absent for a full semester before resuming full-time study.

  • Voluntary
    Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester if they meet the conditions stated in the University Regulations section.
    Students in the School of Architecture who withdraw within 10 class days immediately proceeding the final examination period are not permitted, except for providential reasons, to re-enter the School of Architecture for the succeeding semester nor to present transfer credit earned during the same time.

Withdrawals Grading System
After the drop deadline has passed, a grade of “W” is assigned. An appropriate withdrawal grad of “W” appears on the official academic record.

Course Descriptions

Courses are subject to change; certain courses are offered in alternate years or are temporarily suspended when the instructor is on leave or for other reasons. 5000 level elective courses are open to students in undergraduate and graduate programs.

Degree Information

The School of Architecture offers five graduate programs leading to the Master of Architectural History; Master of Architecture; Master of Architecture, Design Studies (non-professional); the Master of Landscape Architecture; and the Master of Urban and Environmental Planning. The programs are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board, the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board, and the Planning Accreditation Board; and the school holds memberships in the Collegiate Schools of Architecture, the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning, the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture, the National Council for Preservation Education, the Society of Architectural Historians, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. In addition to the graduate degree programs, the school offers two interdisciplinary programs leading to a Certificate in Historic Preservation or a Certificate in Urban Design.