May 29, 2024  
Undergraduate Record 2016-2017 
Undergraduate Record 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Curry School of Education: Academic Rules, Regulations, and Information

About   Academic Rules Departments/Programs   Courses  


Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Admission Requirements


All students are subject to the academic policies specified in the University Registrar’s section of the Undergraduate Record titled “University Regulations.” In addition, students must follow the policies of the Curry School of Education. Students in the five-year Teacher Education Program should consult the regulations in the College of Arts and Sciences section, as well as those of the Curry School of Education.

Application to the Curry School

There are multiple ways that students can engage in the Curry School of Education. Although any student in the university community is welcome to take courses in the Curry School, students who wish to obtain a degree should apply to one of the following programs:

Teacher Education: Students who wish to apply for B/MT dual degree teacher education program in the Curry School of Education must submit a Permission to Enroll form by February 1 of their second year of enrollment in either the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, or Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy.

Speech Pathology and Audiology: Those who wish to apply to the speech pathology and audiology major must submit a full Curry application for admission by February 1 of their second year.

Kinesiology: Students interested in the kinesiology major must apply for admission through the University’s Office of Undergraduate Admission (  Depending on space in the kinesiology major, students may apply for internal transfer by submitting a full Curry application by February 1 of their first or second years. Third-year students are not eligible for transfer.

Youth and Social Innovation: Those who wish to apply to the youth and social innovation major must submit a full Curry application for admission by February 1 of their first or second years.

Additional information can be found on the Curry website.

Residence Requirement

A recipient of a B.S.Ed. degree from the Curry School must have completed at least four semesters of full-time (12 credits) study at the University of Virginia while enrolled in the Curry School of Education. Exceptions for emergency situations require approvals from a student’s advisor, program coordinator, and a Curry dean.

Academic Advising


Each student is assigned an academic advisor who is a faculty member in the major. The student is required to meet with their advisor at least once per semester to schedule classes and plan their course of study. Students are also encouraged to contact their advisors for other matters related to academics, career planning, professional service, or to discuss any other matters. 

Academic Standing


Good Standing

Students are considered to be in good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they have completed at least 12 credits of coursework with at least a 1.8 semester average and have no more than one grade below C-.

By the end of the fourth semester, students in a four-year Curry program must have earned at least 54 credits in order to enroll in a fifth semester; passing at least 84 credits is necessary to enroll in a seventh semester. Students who fall below these criteria must make up their work during summer session or, with prior approval, at another institution, as students are allowed only 8 semesters at the University of Virginia. A minimum of 120 credits and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher are required for graduation. Information about specific course requirements for programs of study can be found on the Curry web site.

Probation, Suspension, and Reenrollment

Probation: A student will be placed on academic probation after any semester in which good standing is not attained. The term “academic probation” appears only on the advising transcript. A student on probation is expected to meet with his or her advisor and program coordinator no later than the add period of the next semester. If the student does not regain good standing at the end of the next semester, the student will be suspended.

Suspension Suspended students may apply for readmission to the Curry School or enroll in courses through the University’s Summer Session after one calendar year from the effective date of the suspension. Students who are readmitted after being suspended must achieve academic good standing or face a second academic suspension. A second academic suspension is final.

Readmission Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their readmission to the University. Application must be made to Curry’s Office of Admissions and Student Services at least 60 days prior to the start of classes during the semester a student wishes to matriculate. In addition to the approvals required by University policy, applications for readmission must be approved by Curry’s academic dean.  Transfer credits taken at another institution while on probation or suspension will not be accepted.

Reenrollment Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their reenrollment at the University. Students who have been on an approved leave of absence may apply for re-enrollment when returning to the Curry School of Education, as long as their return is within the agreed-upon time frame arranged through Curry’s Office of Admissions and Student Services. Any student who does not maintain enrollment and does not have an approved leave of absence will be required to reapply for admission.

Appeals from Students


Grade Appeals

Students who wish to appeal a grade must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the chair of the department. Students may consult with the Curry School’s associate dean for academic and student affairs to confirm which department chair should be contacted. If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to the dean of the Curry School. The dean’s decision is final. At each stage of their appeal, students should provide any supporting documentation they believe is important to their appeal. Appeals must be initiated within one month of the final date by which grades are posted for the term in question.

Other Academic Grievances

Due process is guaranteed to all students. See “Complaints and Grievances ” in the University Regulations section or consult the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Student Affairs office, 102 Ruffner Hall.

Awards for Academic Excellence


See the University Regulations for Awards for Academic Excellence including Dean’s List, Intermediate Honors, and Distinction and Honors.

Each year the Curry School Foundation grants scholarships and fellowships to support the studies of Curry School Students.

Curricular Requirements


Curricular Requirements

To earn the B.S. Ed., a student must present 120 credits which satisfy Curry’s general education curriculum and major requirements. All requirements for the B.S.Ed. must be taken on a graded basis. If a course for which AP or dual-enrollment credits have been awarded is repeated at the University, the AP credits are disallowed. The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grade included in the computation of the grade point average.

General Education Requirements

In order to satisfy the general education requirements at Curry, all B.S.Ed. students must earn:

Writing Requirements: 6 credits minimum. B.S.Ed. students should demonstrate competencies in written communication through their general education and major course requirements. Three specific writing requirements must be evidenced prior to satisfying all degree requirements. The first writing requirement may be met by completing first writing requirement-eligible courses, or by earning an exemption. Exemptions are earned by scoring 720 or above on the writing portion of the SAT exam, or scoring 5 on the AP English language subject test. The second writing requirement may be satisfied by earning a C- or higher in an approved second writing requirement-eligible course that meets general education requirements or as stand-alone electives. The third writing requirement should be earned within the major course offerings.

Humanities: 12 Credits.  Courses may include Literature, Fine Arts, or Moral Philosophical, Foreign Language and Religious Perspectives. The Curry School uses the College of Arts & Sciences to determine categorical changes, but will allow courses within the previous domains to be used for this requirement. The 12 credits include those from writing courses if applicable.  Humanities & Social Science Areas

Social Sciences: 9 Credits. Courses may include History, Anthropology, Economics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, African American Studies, Linguistics and Studies in Women and Gender

Natural Science and Mathematics 12 credits; 9 credits from the following areas: May include Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics; PLUS 3 credits from approved statistics courses.

Cultural Literacy (Varied Options) 3 credits; may satisfy a second writing requirement. May be earned through approved Study Abroad course offerings.

Major Courses A minimum of 30 credits. At least one course satisfying the third writing requirement. See individual program pages for more information.

Course Rules


Accelerated Study

Accelerated study is available to students entering with AP or dual-enrollment credits. Students who wish to finish their undergraduate studies in fewer than four years must work closely with their advisors to map a program of study. At least 60 credits of coursework must be taken on Grounds at the University of Virginia. Students who complete the undergraduate course requirements in three years or less are inducted into the Order of the Orange and are provided orange stolls to wear at final exercises.

Those interested in accelerated graduate study at Curry in Kinesiology must apply for admission to the desired program at the start of their last semester of undergraduate enrollment. All requirements (GREs, letters of recommendation, on-line application) must be submitted at that point. If admitted to the graduate program, a new advisor will be assigned. Undergraduate courses, or courses previously applied toward an undergraduate degree, are not transferable for credit toward a graduate degree.

Changes in Schedule

All additions to course schedules or changes in the grading option for a course must be completed by the last day to add a course. These changes are made via SIS. Any required course must be taken for a grade (not pass/fail). B/MT students should consult the policies of their relevant undergraduate school.

Course Absence Regulations

Students are expected to attend classes throughout the session, with the exception of University academic holidays, unless permission to be absent temporarily or to withdraw has been first granted by the instructor. The Department of Student Health does not furnish routine excuses for illness either to the student or to the instructor. If a student anticipates extended absences for personal, health, or family emergencies, s/he should contact the advisor and/or the academic dean who will notify course faculty, as appropriate. Upon request from the academic dean, the Department of Student Health may evaluate the effect of any illness upon a student’s attendance and academic performance. Failure to attend classes or other prescribed activities in a course may result in enforced withdrawal from the course or other penalties as determined by the instructor.

Course Load

Students must be enrolled on a full-time basis (12 credits minimum) during all semesters, except the final one (9 credits minimum). Special permission from the program coordinator, advisor and academic dean is required to take fewer than 12, or more than 18 credits during a given semester.

Discontinuing a Course

A student may drop and void registration in a course within the official add/drop window via SIS. Permission to take fewer than 12 credits must be petitioned to, and approved by the advisor, program coordinator, and the academic dean. Exceptions can be granted only for unusual or emergency circumstances. Students may withdraw from a course after the add/drop window until the university’s official withdrawal date and will be graded as a Withdrawal (W). This notation does not affect a student’s grade point average; nor does a course with a grade of W count toward credits earned. Students may not withdraw from a course after the withdrawal date.

Independent Study and Directed Research

Students may earn a maximum of 6 credits through directed independent study or directed research credits. Students must complete an independent study contract for each 3-credit independent study or directed research course and have appropriate approvals from the faculty supervisor, faculty advisor, and the program coordinator prior to enrolling. Independent study or directed research courses are taken ungraded (S/U) and cannot serve in lieu of required general education requirements or major requirements.

Repeated Courses

If a student chooses to repeat a course for any reason (e.g., meet graduate school requirements) both grades for the repeated course remain on the transcript and the first course grade (D- and above) will be calculated in the cumulative grade point average (GPA). However, course credit for this will be counted only once. Students who fail a required course must repeat it in order to obtain credit and the two grades (F and repeated grade) are averaged for the cumulative GPA.

Students may not use an S/U course to repeat a course in which a grade has already been earned. The deadline for selecting the S/U option is the same as the add deadline, and requests for exceptions to the deadline are seldom granted.

Degree Information


Degree Requirements

The Curry School of Education affirms the distinction between degree requirements and licensure requirements in its programs. While many programs contain both kinds of requirements, and major portions of the two may be synonymous, one may meet one set of requirements and not the other (i.e., receive a degree without qualifying for recommendation for licensure). Information concerning licensure requirements is provided to students through the Office of Teacher Education. To be recommended by the Curry School of Education for professional licensure, a student must complete a state-approved teacher education program sequence approved by the faculty of the Curry School of Education, meet state cut-off scores on the Praxis II examinations, the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment, and the Virginia Reading Assessment (elementary and special education only.)

Final Examinations


Final Examinations

Final examinations are an essential part of most courses. They are given during a designated period of time at the end of each semester, as they are considered part of the regular academic calendar. Absence from exams is excused only for illness, attested to by a physician’s certificate, or for other causes that the instructor, advisor, and dean, by special action, may approve. An unexcused absence is counted as a failure and, at the discretion of the instructor, may result in failing the course.

Examinations may only be given at the University-assigned time unless authorized by the academic dean. Students are not authorized to take final exams before the regularly scheduled time. However, under serious conditions, and with their instructor and advisor’s permission, students may be allowed to postpone the examination to a time convenient to the instructor. Students who have three exams in one day or four in a two-day period may petition to have one examination moved using Curry’s form for final exam postponement requests. Requests must be approved prior to the last day of classes.



B/M.T. students should consult the policies of their relevant undergraduate institution through the second semester of the fourth year. During the fifth year, B/M.T. students must follow graduate policies of the Curry School of Education. As noted in the Graduate Record, graduate courses must be at the 5000 level or above; students are required to earn a B- or better in said coursework.

Course Grades

All required courses must be taken for regular, graded credit (no S/U or CR/NC), including grades of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-. C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F. Internships, practica, and student teaching are generally graded S/U. Courses taken at or above the 5000 level may require a grade of B- or better if they are core courses or if students wish to apply said coursework toward a graduate degree program.

Student work may be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis in certain courses within the Curry School. This is typically the case with practicums/field experiences. Students should consult their advisor and program coordinator before signing up for S/U courses to ensure such courses will count toward the 120-credit hours required for graduation.

Grade Changes

No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to the University Registrar without the approval of the dean’s representative. The dean’s representative is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the University Registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. All grade changes must be entered into SIS.

Incomplete Grades

For B.S.Ed. students an IN is recorded when reasons known to the professor are judged adequate to justify an extension of time to complete course requirements. An IN may not be used to allow a student to attempt to raise a grade at the end of the term. The time line to complete course work may not exceed 30 days, unless a student enters into a written contract with an instructor, specifying remaining requirements and the expected date of completion. If the student does not meet the terms of the incomplete policy, the student’s incomplete grade will be changed to an F or U.

Intra-University Transfers


Transferring into Curry from other University of Virginia school

Students can apply to internally transfer into Curry from another UVA school. See the Curry internal transfer admissions website for deadlines, program requirements, and the application process.

Leaving and Returning to the University


Enforced Withdrawal

See the University Regulations .


Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their readmission to the University. Application must be made to Curry’s Office of Admissions and Student Services at least 60 days prior to the start of classes during the semester a student wishes to matriculate. In addition to the approvals required by University policy, applications for readmission must be approved by Curry’s academic dean.  


Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their reenrollment at the University. Students who have been on an approved leave of absence may apply for re-enrollment when returning to the Curry School of Education, as long as their return is within the agreed-upon time frame arranged through Curry’s Office of Admissions and Student Services. Any student who does not maintain enrollment and does not have an approved leave of absence will be required to reapply for admission.

Majors and Minors



The following majors and minors are offered within the Curry School of Education. Please see the Curry website for specific information:

Kinesiology  Kinesiology refers to the study of movement and is a multifaceted field of study in which movement or physical activity is the intellectual focus. Physical activity includes exercising for improvement of health and fitness; learning movement skills; and engaging in activities of daily living, work, sport, dance, and play. It involves the general population as well as special groups such as children and older adults; people with disabilities, injuries, or disease; and athletes.

Speech Pathology and Audiology The undergraduate major in speech-language pathology at the University of Virginia (a) introduces students to the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology and (b) provides pre-professional learning experiences to prepare students for graduate studies in either profession by emphasizing math, biological and behavioral sciences, basic human communication sciences, and critical thinking.

Youth and Social Innovation The undergraduate major in  Youth and Social Innovation engages students in coursework that integrates theory and research on youth development, programming, and policy with hands-on application through community service. Students learn how to evaluate the effectiveness of existing social innovations for youth and collaborate with a team to design new ones.


Global Studies in Education The Global Studies in Education Minor is aimed at providing students with analytical approaches to comparative and international influences on educational processes and outcomes.  The minor consists of 18 credits which include two required courses and a capstone course as determined by your Curry School advisor.

Related Program: 5 Year Bachelor/Master of Teaching

Curry partners with the College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy to offer B/MT degrees. Undergraduates enrolled in Teacher Education earn two degrees: a Bachelor’s from the College of Arts and Sciences/School of Engineering and Applied Science/Darden School of Leadership and Public Policy and a Master of Teaching degree from the Curry School of Education. Both degrees are awarded simultaneously after all program requirements have been met.

Students in the B/MT programs are advanced to graduate status at the end of the 4th year prior to student teaching in the 5th year. Those who plan carefully can complete their combined program of studies in fewer than 5 years. To accelerate the program, students must enroll in a three-week summer session prior to student teaching.

Study Abroad


Curry supports numerous Study Abroad programs during which students to grow academically and professionally while gaining a global perspective. Before pursuing any international learning experience for academic credit, students are required to discuss plans with the academic advisor, and if approved, meet with the International Studies Office (208 Minor Hall).

Earning Undergraduate Credit for Study Abroad:

In order to be eligible students must have completed at least one full-time semester at the University of Virginia, possess a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher, and be in good academic and disciplinary standing prior to applying to study abroad. You are also expected to meet with your advisor to plan a program of study, complete the online Education Abroad Workshop,  and meet with an Education Abroad Advisor in the International Studies Office. 

Coursework must be approved prior to enrolling in an institution outside of the U.S.  Note that credit granted for courses taken abroad cannot exceed credits awarded for comparable University courses.* If enrolling abroad during a fall or spring semester, you are expected to complete at least 12 credits of coursework.

To ensure you receive credit toward the degree, students must:

Requests for transfer credit from international students returning to their home countries to study in the summer will be treated like those from U.S. students who will be studying at U.S. institutions for transfer credit. 

*  UVA applies the general guidelines for awarding credit recommended by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Student Credentials and the national Association for Foreign Student Affairs.  Students receive credit for courses taken at recognized foreign tertiary-level educational institutions.  Those that are chartered and authorized by their respective national governments (generally through ministries of education) are considered “recognized.”

Transfer Credit


Credits Earned Prior to Admission

A maximum of 60 credits may be earned prior to matriculation.  These may include transfer credits approved by the University, AP credits, International College-level exams, and dual enrollment coursework taken in high school.  (The University does not award credits or exemptions from requirements via the College Level Examination Program.)  After admission, if the course(s) taken are not listed in the transfer credit database (, complete the Incoming Undergraduate Transfer Credit Form ( and submit to the Curry Admissions Office, 102 Ruffner Hall.

Credits Earned After Admission to Curry

A Curry undergraduate student may take coursework at another accredited degree-granting institution of higher education in the U.S. or abroad and transfer those credits to UVA.  Students must seek permission before beginning the coursework elsewhere by submitting the Request for Transfer of Undergraduate Credit from U.S. Institutions [4] form.  If the course is listed in transfer credit database (, enter the course and its equivalent on the form.  If not listed, consult the Curry advisor for guidance.  (Use separate forms for each institution)  Upon successful completion of the course(s) earning a grade of C or better students can request credits to transfer. Students should provide an official transcript to the Curry Office of Admissions (within 2 months).  Failure to provide official transcript(s) and doing so within this timeframe will prevent the course from being added to the official transcript.

Courses passed with an S, P, or credit grading option will transfer only upon verification that they represent work equivalent to a C or better.  Such courses will be counted toward total Credit/Non-Credit courses allowed in the degree program. Quarter hours will be reduced proportionally to their semester hour equivalent.  If students previously earned credit at UVA for an equivalent course, duplicate credit will not be awarded.

No more than 60 non-UVA credits (including transfer and Advanced Standing credit) can count toward the degree at UVA.