Darden School of Business
University of Virginia
100 Darden Boulevard
P.O. Box 7225
Charlottesville, VA 22906-7225
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business owes its existence to the energy and interest of a group of bankers and business people from Virginia and neighboring states, who formed a Sponsoring Committee to assist in the organization of a graduate school of business administration.
By 1954, the Sponsoring Committee had established an endowment, and the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia appropriated additional funds. Meanwhile, a faculty committee of the University recommended that the School be established, and on 19 March, 1954, the University Senate voted to proceed. On 9 April, the Board of Visitors adopted the following resolution:
“Resolved by the Board of Visitors of the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia that a graduate School of Business Administration be hereby created as a separate School of the University.”
Since 1955, the school has grown in size, in the scope of its curriculum, in its diversity of faculty, staff and student body, and in the geographical diversity of its influence. As the reputation of Darden continues to broaden, balances its commitment to Virginia and the region to the national and international business communities.
On 1 July, 1974, the School became The Colgate Darden Graduate School of Business Administration of the University of Virginia. Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr. was a preeminent statesperson and educator from the Commonwealth of Virginia and Governor of Virginia from 1942 through 1946. He served as President of the University of Virginia from 1947 until 1959.
Mr. Darden was one of the key leaders in the creation of a graduate business school at the University of Virginia and remained an active supporter of the school as it developed.
The school is proud to bear the name of this remarkable man.