May 30, 2020  
Undergraduate Record 2014-2015 
Undergraduate Record 2014-2015 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

School of Architecture: Academic Rules, Regulations, and Information

  About   Academic Rules   Departments/Programs   Courses   Faculty  

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Academic Rules


Academic Good Standing Students, in the School of Architecture, are considered to be in academic good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they meet the following criteria:

• Complete at least 12 credits of coursework.
• Attain at least a 1.8 semester GPA,
• Maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
• Have no more than one grade below C- (or NC for CR/NC).

Class Standing Students are categorized by class according to the number of credits they have earned as follows: first year: 0-29 credits; second year: 30-59 credits; third year: 60-89 credits; fourth year: 90 or more credits. AP and transfer credits are included in the computation of class standing; credits not completed or completed unsuccessfully are not included. Students in the design concentration are classified according to their studio level.

Course Load Registering for fewer than 12 credits or more than 18 credits in a semester requires special permission. Students who have declared their major must obtain written permission from the Director of their undergraduate program; students who are undeclared must obtain written permission from their academic advisor. Students who are on probation or in the semester immediately following suspension must obtain additional permission from the Dean’s Office.

Credit/No Credit (Grades) Students have the option of receiving a CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of regular letter grades for a given course. This option is selected when students register for courses no later than the add deadline. Instructors have the right to deny students permission to take courses on a CR/NC basis. The CR/NC option may be used only for open electives.

Double Majors According to University policy, students may receive a degree from only one undergraduate school in a semester. Undergraduate students who complete the requirements for more than one undergraduate degree program will be awarded a double major. This notation is placed on the transcript but not on the diploma.

Students enrolled in the School of Architecture and pursuing a double major must comply with the requirements and policies for both majors. Students not enrolled in the School of Architecture may pursue a second major in the School, provided such a second major is consistent with the policies of their school of enrollment, and the student fulfills all the academic requirements of the major in the School of Architecture.

Electives For students in the School of Architecture the following limits apply to elective courses:

• Physical Education (PHYE) courses cannot be used for degree credit.
• A maximum of 12 degree credits will be granted for (ROTC) courses.
• A maximum of 8 degree credits will be granted for Ensemble Music or Dance.
• CR/NC grading option - no more than 1 course per semester, must be counted as open elective.

Grade Changes No grade may be changed without the approval of the Dean’s Office after it has been submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar). The Dean’s Office is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar) except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

The School limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was received, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course. Incompletes are handled under the policy of Incomplete.

Grades (Incomplete) A grade of IN (Incomplete) is not a valid final grade and converts to an F thirty days after the last day of the examination period. Thesis credit deadlines are handled on a case-by-case basis between the student and the faculty member. When assigning a grade of incomplete, a faculty member must complete and submit an Incomplete Grade Submission Form to the School registrar. An extension of the deadline specified above will be considered only in extreme circumstances, and requires the approval of the Dean’s Office.

Grades (Minimum in required courses) Students of undeclared major must achieve a minimum grade of C- in required courses in the School of Architecture, or else be required to repeat the course. Students in declared majors should refer to the minimum grade requirements for their major.

Grading Appeals Students who wish to appeal a grade must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the chair of the department. If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to the Dean’s Office. Appeals must be made within 7 days after the end of that semester’s examination period.

Grievance Procedure Due process is guaranteed to all students. See “Grievance Procedures” in the University Regulations section or consult the Associate Dean for Academics.

Leave of Absence (Educational) Students who wish to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests at another educational institution in the United States must consult with the Dean’s Office and with the Director of their undergraduate program for a leave of absence. Students registered for an approved leave may pre-enroll for courses and must apply for reenrollment to the University, although they must notify the Dean’s Office of when they intend to return.

Leave of Absence (Voluntary) Absent notice to the contrary, the School of Architecture expects students to register each semester and proceed to the completion of their degree programs. Students who wish to take a leave of absence for either a semester or a year must apply to the Dean’s Office. Students on leave must apply for readmission at least 60 days prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which they want to reenroll.

Major Declaration The first year of study in the School of Architecture includes courses in all three undergraduate programs, as well as breadth requirements. During the second semester of the first year, students declare a major in one of the three programs.

In the event a particular major or concentration is oversubscribed, admission may be limited. Admission to such programs is based on space availability, academic performance, and additional materials as specified by particular departments.

Ownership of Student Work The School of Architecture reserves the right to retain student course work for exhibition and publication with appropriate credits. Teachers who wish to retain student work for their own purposes must gain student consent and provide adequate documentation of the work for the student.

Probation A student will be placed on academic probation if they fail to maintain academic good standing in any semester (see the “Academic Good Standing” section of the Record).

Readmission Students who do not enroll at the University for a semester or more and who are not on an educational leave of absence must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they were on an approved leave of absence. Readmission requires review and approval by the Associate Dean for Academics and the University Office of the Dean of Students. Approval by the Department of Student Health may also be required, depending on the circumstances of leaving the University. Application for readmission must be made to the Associate Dean for Academics’ office at least 60 days prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which they want to reenroll. If students want to ensure their eligibility for financial aid, they should contact Student Financial Services prior to that semester. The readmission process – including obtaining all necessary clearances – must be complete prior to the first day of classes for that semester. When possible, it is recommended that students complete the readmissions process before the beginning of the registration period for that semester.

Readmission application forms are available in the Student Records and Registration office. For students under academic suspension from the School of Architecture, the completed application must include a statement that (1) addresses their readiness to return to full-time study, and (2) outlines the courses needed to fulfill their degree requirements over the remaining semesters.

Readmission is not guaranteed.

Repeated Course If a course is passed, or failed, and taken a second time for credit, both grades are included in the computation of grade point average and appear on the student’s transcript. A student may repeat a course only once.

Required Courses A student who enters the School of Architecture without transfer credits must complete, at this University in Charlottesville, all prescribed courses in the curriculum for which she or he is a degree candidate. Students transferring from another college or university must complete, at this University in Charlottesville, all required courses in those subjects not completed at the time of first admission to the School of Architecture. Exceptions may be made to these requirements provided permission is granted in advance by the Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department at the School of Architecture.

The Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department may waive a specific course requirement for a degree when, in the Director’s judgment, such action best serves the intent of the program.

Residence Requirements and Transfer Credits All three programs normally require four years for completion and a minimum of two years as a full-time student in the School of Architecture. In some cases, summer session study at the University is required of transfer undergraduate applicants accepted by the School of Architecture.

Summer Session ARCH 2011 and ARCH 2021 are prerequisites for undergraduate transfer students accepted by the department of Architecture entering their third year.

The School of Architecture grants transfer credit based on an analysis of the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major and degree program, the quality of the student’s performance in the courses, and the accreditation of the institution at which the work was completed. The Dean’s Office of the School of Architecture governs the awarding of transfer credit.

Students must submit a request for transfer of credit form prior to enrolling in courses for transfer. Transfer credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Grades do not transfer and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia.

In no case are transfer credits in excess of 60 granted toward an undergraduate degree in the School of Architecture. The school does not accept pass/fail or credit/no credit courses for transfer credit.

In exceptional circumstances, the School of Architecture Dean may waive an admission or performance requirement when, in the dean’s judgment, such action best serves the intent of the program.

Student Owned Computers Undergraduate students are required to own a personal computer equipped with specified software. A list of specifications is at

Suspension Suspension is enforced withdrawal from the University. Any student who has previously been placed on academic probation will be suspended if placed on probation again. The term of the first suspension is through at least one full fall or one full spring semester. The term of a suspension may be longer, if the Dean’s Office decides it is appropriate for the circumstances. A second suspension is final and the student is not allowed to return to the University.

Procedures for readmission from suspension are described above under Readmission. Academic credits taken elsewhere while on academic suspension are not accepted for transfer towards a UVa degree.

Withdrawal After the drop deadline has passed, a grade of “W” is assigned. An appropriate withdrawal grade of W appears on the official academic record.

Withdrawal (Enforced) See the University Regulations section.

Withdrawal (Medical) Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.

Withdrawal (Voluntary) Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester if they meet the conditions stated in the University Regulations section.

Students in the School of Architecture who withdraw within 10 class days immediately preceding the final examination period are not permitted, except for providential reasons, to re-enter the School of Architecture for the succeeding semester nor to present transfer credit earned during the same time.

In extreme medical circumstances, documented by a medical professional, a School of Architecture student has one semester in which to petition to the Dean’s Office for a retroactive medical withdrawal. If approved, all grades convert to W’s.

Degree Information

 ^ TOP

The School of Architecture offers three undergraduate programs of instruction under Architectural History, Architecture, and Urban and Environmental Planning. Supporting course work is offered through the cooperation of departments in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. First year students take a common core curriculum, and declare their major near the end of the second semester.

Evaluations of courses and curricula modification are continuing processes in the school. Therefore, the specific degree requirements are subject to change. In each of the degree programs, students should expect that courses may require the purchase of textbooks, software, materials, or equipment. Students may incur costs for field trips.

Accreditation The Undergraduate Program in Urban and Environmental Planning is accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board, sponsored jointly by the American Institute of Certified Planners and the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning.

Bachelor of Architectural History This four-year program is one of the few of its kind in the country. Students are offered a liberal arts education with an emphasis on the study of architectural history. This degree program provides an opportunity to study historic preservation, while offering ample opportunity for interaction with the other disciplines in the school.

Bachelor of Science (Architecture) The undergraduate degree in architecture offers two tracks: the pre-professional track, and the design-thinking track. The pre-professional track is useful for those seeking a foundation in the field of architecture either for continued education in a professional degree program or for employment in design related fields. The design-thinking track is aimed at students seeking to apply the creative approach of architectural design to broader areas of application.

Concerning the pre-professional track, most states consider an accredited degree a requirement to obtaining an architecture license. There are two types of degrees that are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB): the Bachelor of Architecture, which requires a minimum of five years of study; and the Master of Architecture. The four-year pre-professional degree is not accredited by NAAB.

Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning The Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning is a professional degree recognized by the Planning Accreditation Board. During the final two years of study, the student has a wide range of professional seminars and application courses to choose from in the areas of environmental planning, land use planning and growth management, and urban development and housing policy. This course of study is designed to develop an integrative knowledge of environmental and community processes, professional skills, and leadership.