Oct 16, 2019  
Undergraduate Record 2014-2015 
Undergraduate Record 2014-2015 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

College of Arts & Sciences: Academic Rules, Regulations, and Information

 About   Academic Rules  Departments/Programs    Courses    Faculty  

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Accuracy of Students’ Records Students are responsible for verifying the accuracy of their academic records by the drop deadline, the withdrawal deadline and each time they make a change in their schedule. Students who fail to do so are subject to various penalties as determined by the dean. Changes to the transcript are permitted only during the current and immediately subsequent semesters. Transcripts may be requested from UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in Carruthers Hall. Academic Requirements reports and final semester grades are available through SIS. Errors must be reported to the dean’s office within the stated deadlines; after one semester has lapsed, a student’s record is considered permanent.

Appeals from Students Students may appeal negative decisions about enrollment, grades, or general academic policies in the College.  Students who believe there is a valid reason for requesting an exception to any of the rules should file a petition to their Association Dean.  In many cases, the recommendation of a course instructor or advisor is required on the petition before it is filed.  Only students may submit appeals on their own behalf.  Any appeal must be made in a timely manner.  Students whose petitions for exemption from College rules have been denied by the Association Deans may appeal to the Committee on Faculty Rules (c/o Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Monroe Hall 101). The Committee consists of faculty members who are not Association Deans.  If the negative decision is upheld by the Committee on Faculty Rules, the student’s route of appeal is to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs (Monroe Hall 101).  The Associate Dean, who is in the line of appeals, does not vote in the periodic meetings held by the Association Deans to address the academic standing of students in the College.  The procedure for grade appeals follows a different path and is discussed below (see the section on Grades).  In all appeals, the decision of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs is final.  Students should consult with their Association Dean for details about how to appeal a particular decision.

Area Requirements The faculty has established area requirements to ensure that all students have the background and breadth for further learning in a variety of disciplines. In completing these requirements, students explore a wide range of disciplines, points of view, and modes of inquiry.  In addition, they investigate unfamiliar areas and thus can make more informed judgments about their major and elective courses.

The faculty encourages students to design programs of study that offer the maximum range of intellectual opportunities. The area requirements are organized to provide experience with a broad array of intellectual approaches rather than prescribe a specific body of content:

  • Social Sciences allow students to explore techniques of analysis and modes of reasoning for studying a wide range of social, economic, and political relations.
  • Humanities improve students’ understanding of the achievements and potential of literature and the arts, whether verbal, visual, or musical. They may also address basic questions concerning values and ethics.
  • Social Sciences allow students to explore techniques of analysis and modes of reasoning for studying a wide range of social, economic, and political relations.
  • Natural Sciences and Mathematics improve students’ comprehension of the fundamental principles of natural phenomena and of scientific methods as a way of describing and understanding the world.
  • Non-Western Perspectives broaden students’ exposure to other cultures and to the ways those cultures perceive their environment or organize their society.
  • Historical Studies introduce students to the historical forces that have shaped and changed the nature of human societies and the methods that are required to study such forces.  They further encourage students to think about cause and effect and the ideas of continuity and change over time.

Competency Requirements These requirements provide the foundation for successful study in the liberal arts, for meeting subsequent challenges in the work place, and for serving effectively as an educated member of society:

  • Writing: Every liberal arts graduate is expected to have the ability to write clearly, succinctly, and in a logical manner.
  • Foreign Language: Language is not simply a means to communicate, but also an avenue for insights into other cultures. Many students also discover that learning a second language improves their understanding of English and broadens their awareness of an increasingly diverse America.

Compliance with College Regulations Students are held responsible for selecting their courses in accordance with the course restrictions and policies printed in this Record, on the College of Arts & Sciences web pages, and in advising material distributed by departments.  Only after the approval of the department and the Dean’s office has been obtained in the form of a petition may a student enroll in a course that does not comply with the College’s regulations.

Curricular Requirements To earn a B.A. or B.S., a student must present 120 credits which satisfy the competency requirements, area requirements, and major requirements, which are described briefly here.  Please see the relevant sections below for further details.  All of the requirements for the B.A. or the B.S. must be taken on a graded basis. 

Residence Requirement The minimum residence requirement for a degree is two academic years.  The last year of candidacy must be spent at this University, and courses offered in the major for the degree must be completed at the University unless written permission is obtained from the department or interdepartmental program concerned. 

The Major The faculty requires each student to examine one subject in depth in order to experience sustained, cumulative study of a range of related topics and issues over a period of several semesters.  Study in a major allows students to focus on an area of interest where they would like to develop their intellectual capacity.  The faculty does not view the major as a direct path to a particular career.  However, by developing a mastery of a particular area, students advance their intellectual capabilities in ways that will be of value in a range of later endeavors.

Use of E-mail and Access to IT Services The College of Arts & Sciences sends all of its official correspondence via e-mail and password protected websites. Students are expected to open and maintain an active U.Va. e-mail account and are held responsible for all materials sent via electronic mail. Examples include end of the semester academic status letters, notice of failure to declare a major, various official newsletters, and requests to schedule an appointment with your Association Dean, etc. When students use non virginia.edu mail accounts, it is their responsibility to make sure their U.Va. e-mail is forwarded to that account. ITS does not delete accounts for students who are suspended, but it does limit the access to only e-mail for these students within a few weeks of the suspension. Once suspended students return and are properly registered at the University, ITS restores their access to other computing resources. Students with questions about their e-mail accounts are directed to the ITS Help Desk in 235 Wilson Hall (924-3731) or to ITS’s web site: www.its.virginia.edu/helpdesk.

Academic Standing

    ^ TOP

After every semester, the Office of the Dean of the College reviews each student’s academic standing and progress toward the degree. If a problem arises, a student’s Association Dean notifies the student by e-mail of important information to be accessed at a secure website. Students are responsible for obtaining this information and are subject to the imposition of academic sanctions in any event.

Academic Probation Students who fail to remain in good standing are placed on academic probation. The notation “Academic Probation” is placed only on the advising trasncript following the term in which they were placed on probation (but for the term the probation was incurred). A student on probation is expected to meet with his or her Association Dean no later than the add period of the ensuing semester. Students on probation are strongly urged to devote more time to their academic work and are referred to academic support services. Students on probation who withdraw or take a leave of absence are eligible to return upon application, but do so on probation and are subject to suspension if they do not attain good standing.

Part-time students incur academic probation if they do not attain a 1.800 semester grade point average. 

Good Standing Students are considered to be in good standing at the end of a semester if, in that semester, they have completed at least 12 credits of course work with at least a 1.800 semester grade point average and have no more than one grade below C-.  In order to enroll in a fifth semester, students are required to have passed at least 54 credits; to enroll in a seventh semester students must pass at least 84 credits. Students who fall behind in the number of credits required are obliged to make up their work in the University’s summer session or, with prior approval, at another accredited institution.  To remain in good standing by the end of the fourth semester, students must either be in a major or have received permission from the dean’s office to defer the declaration for one semester.

Suspension Students are subject to suspension after two consecutive semesters on probation. Students who fail to earn at least nine grade points in a semester are also subject to suspension. One full fall term and one full spring term must elapse before they are eligible to apply to return to the College.  The College considers application for readmission upon presentation of evidence that the difficulties that led to the academic suspension have been overcome (see below). Students under suspension may not apply transfer credits from other institutions toward their degree from the College. Two semesters must pass before a suspended student may enroll in the University’s Summer Session.

Students to whom notice of suspension has been sent have five business days in which to notify their Association Dean of an intention to appeal.  Academic suspension becomes effective upon the Dean’s notification to UREG (University Registrar). That date is determined according to the schedule below or upon notification to UREG (University Registrar) that the suspension has not been overturned on appeal.

  • Following Fall semester: Upon notification to UREG (University Registrar) and no later than two days prior to the first day of the spring semester
  • Following Spring semester: Upon notification to UREG (University Registrar) and no later than one week prior to the start of Summer Session II
  • Following Summer Session: Upon notification to UREG (University Registrar) and no later than two days prior to the first day of the fall semester

Competency and Area Requirements

 ^ TOP

Following matriculation, all competency and area requirements must be completed at the University of Virginia and must be taken on a graded basis.  AP credits from secondary school and transfer credits awarded before U.Va. matriculation may count toward competency and area requirements, with the exception of the second writing requirement.  Dual-enrollment credit may not be used to meet any competency requirements.


All undergraduate students except Echols Scholars are required to fulfill Competency Requirements which provide the foundation for successful study in the liberal arts.  Each course used to fulfill Competency Requirements must be taken on a graded basis.

First Writing Requirement Students may meet the first writing requirement in one of two ways: by successfully completing one of the first writing requirement-eligible ENWR courses, or by earning exemption. For information on placement, go to http://www.engl.virginia.edu/undergraduate/writing/placement.

If you have questions regarding first writing requirement placement, please contact the Writing Program staff (http://www.engl.virginia.edu/undergraduate/writing).

Second Writing Requirement All students, except Echols Scholars, must complete at U.Va. a second writing requirement course with a grade of C- or better.  Second writing requirement courses are 3 or 4 credit writing intensive courses found in many departments across the College.  A course in a school other than the College, advanced placement credit, advanced standing, dual enrollment credit, or credit transferred from another university will not satisfy this requirement.  A course must have at least two writing assignments in English totaling 4,000 words (20 pages) or more, exclusive of quizzes and final examinations, and a student/faculty ratio no greater than 30/1 to qualify as a second writing requirement course.

Although it is not advised, a student may take a course that meets the second writing requirement before or during the semester that he or she completes the first writing requirement. However, completing the second writing requirement neither exempts a student from, nor fulfills, the first writing requirement.  A course that satisfies the second writing requirement may simultaneously count toward a student’s major or minor program or toward another area requirement.  A second writing requirement course may also count for two area requirements.

A course that is not designated in the College Catalog as a second writing course may fulfill the requirement when an instructor certifies that the course meets the standards for a second writing requirement course noted above.  In this case, a student must file a second writing requirement completion form and have it certified by the College Registrar to complete the requirement.  The completion form is available online and in Monroe Hall.

Foreign Language Requirement Students can meet the Foreign Language Requirement by successfully completing one of the following courses of action:

  • Earn exemption by placing beyond the 2020 level by examination
  • Take 14 credits, or four semesters of a language in the proper sequence typically finishing at the 2020 level
  • After placement, complete the remaining courses in the sequence up to the fourth semester (usually 2020)

Placement in a language sequence is by SAT II Subject Test score, Advanced Placement (AP) Exam, Higher-level International Baccalaureate Exam, or a departmental placement test.  Consult the Foreign Language Placement Index (http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/fl-placement-index) for specific departmental standards.  Students must follow the department’s recommendations in the completion of the foreign language requirement.  Once placement occurs, the foreign language requirement is fulfilled by the completion of each course in sequence. Credit for introductory language courses is disallowed if it duplicates foreign language credits offered for admission to the College.

Students may be exempted from foreign languages not taught in the College upon certification by a faculty member or outside examiner designated by the dean of the College. Students may also meet the foreign language requirement by completing, or gaining exemption from, the fourth semester of American Sign Language.


All undergraduate students except Echols Scholars are required to fulfill Area Requirements by earning the proper number of credits from courses taken in each of five different academic subject areas.  Each course used to fulfill Area Requirements must be taken on a graded basis.

Curricular Requirements for Students Resuming their Education Students who entered prior to 1994 and wish to resume their undergraduate education are subject either to this current curriculum or the curriculum in place when they matriculated. In this instance, the Dean of the College determines year level and informs the student before matriculation.

Historical Studies (3 credits): You must pass at least one course worth 3 credits or more either from the History Department or from a class determined by the faculty to be substantially historical. Qualifying courses can be found in the SIS Course Catalog.  Courses taken to fulfill the Historical Studies Area Requirement may also count toward fulfilling one other Area Requirement.

Humanities (6 credits): Student must pass at least one course worth 3 credits or more from two of the following groups of departments and programs:

Fine Arts:

  • Anthropology (ANTH): ANTH 2370 only
  • Art History (ARTH): all classes
  • Studio Art (ARTS): all classes except ARTS 2070)
  • Drama (DRAM): all classes
  • Music (MUSI): only MUSI classes; Music performance classes (MUBN, MUEN, AND MUPF) do NOT fill this requirement
  • Media Studies (MDST): MDST 2000, 3050, and 3100 only
  • Architectural History (AR H): AR H 1000, 1010, 1020, 1700, 3102, 3203 and 3701 only
  • Architecture (ARCH): ARCH 1010


  • Classics (CLAS): all classes
  • Comparative Literature (CLPT): all classes
  • East Asian Language and Cultures (EALC): all classes
  • East Asian Studies (EAST): all classes
  • English (except ENWR 1505/1506, 1510, 2510, 2520, 2700, 2820, 3700, 3710, 3720, 3800, and ENSP 1600 and 1700) and Foreign Literature [East Asian Languages, Literatures and Cultures (except CHIN 1010/1020, 2060, JAPN 1010-2020, KOR 1010-2020, and TBTN 1010-2020), French, German, Middle Eastern and South Asian Languages and Cultures (except ARAB 2250, 2260, 3230/5230, and 3240/5240), Slavic Languages and Literatures, and Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese courses in translation, and all foreign language courses above the 2020 level (except PORT 2120, which satisfies the foreign language requirement)].
  • Middle Eastern Studies (MESA): all classes
  • Media Studies (MDST): MDST 3000 only
  • South Asian Studies (SAST): all classes except SAST 2700
  • South Asian Literature in Translation (SATR): all classes

Moral, Philosophical, and Religious Perspectives:

  • Political Theory (PLPT): all PLPT classes; no other Politics Department classes
  • Philosophy (PHIL): all classes
  • Religious Studies (RELA, RELB, RELC, RELG, RELH, RELJ): all classes
  • Media Studies (MDST): MDST 4000 only

Courses taken for this requirement may also count toward one other Area Requirement

Natural Science and Mathematics (12 credits): Students must pass 12 hours of natural science and/or mathematics courses from at least two departments. Courses that count toward this requirement may be chosen from:

  • The Departments of Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics: all classes except EVSC 2030 and 4040, and MATH 1000T and 1030
  • Economics (ECON): ECON 3720 and 4720 only
  • Psychology (PSYC): PSYC 2200, 3210 and 4200 only

Students are strongly encouraged to include courses in mathematics, the physical sciences, and the biological sciences. For this requirement, statistics, mathematics and the above three economics courses are considered to come from one department. Thus, students may not satisfy this requirement with courses in Mathematics, Statistics, and Economics solely.

Non-Western Perspectives (3 Credits): Students must pass at least one course worth 3 or more credits, which the faculty recognizes as dealing substantially with a culture other than Western culture.  Qualifying courses can be found in the SIS Course Catalog.  Courses taken to fulfill the Non-Western Perspectives Area Requirement may also count toward fulfilling one other Area Requirement.

Social Sciences (6 credits): Students must pass at least one course worth 3 credits or more from two of the following departments and programs:

  • Anthropology; except ANTH 2370; some foreign language courses offered as ANTH will not satisfy this requirement
  • American Studies (AMST): all classes except AMST 2300
  • Economics (ECON): all classes except ECON 3720 and 4720
  • Environmental Sciences (EVSC): EVSC 2030 and 4030 only
  • Environmental Thought and Practice (ETP): ETP 3860 and 4810 only
  • Global Development Studies (GDS): GDS 2020
  • Politics (PLAP, PLCP, PLIR): all classes in Politics except Political Theory (PLPT)
  • Psychology (PSYC): all PSYC classes except 2200, 3210, 4200
  • South Asian Studies (SAST): SAST 2700 only
  • Sociology (SOC): all classes except SOC 2600
  • Afro-American and African Studies (AAS); all classes except AAS literature courses
  • Linguistics (LING AND LNGS): all LING and LNGS at or above the 2000-level
  • Women, Gender and Sexuality (WGS): all WGS classes

Courses taken for this requirement may also count toward one other Area Requirement.

Course Enrollment Rules


AP Credit If a course for which AP credits have been awarded is repeated at the University, the AP credits are disallowed.  The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grade included in the computation of the grade point average.

Changes in Schedule Changes in students’ class schedules are made via SIS.  If admission to a course requires the instructor’s permission, students should add their name to the instructor’s permission list and wait for an invitation to join the class. Note that being on a permission list does not guarantee that a student will be offered a space in a class.  Students may add and drop courses through the deadlines stated in the current Schedule of Classes.

Course Absence Regulations Regular attendance in classes is a vital part of the educational process.  At the University of Virginia each student is expected to accept the responsibility of attending classes regularly and promptly.  Instructors are encouraged to state their policy on attendance to their classes; they may refer any student whose attendance record they consider unsatisfactory to the dean.

The dean of the College will follow faculty requests to confer with students who are absent from classes too often and, when necessary, will impose academic discipline upon these students, either when recommended by instructors or deemed necessary by his or her office.  Absences traditionally excused are those that occur because of hospitalization, serious illness, death in a student’s family, important religious holidays, or authorized University activities (field trips, University-sponsored athletic events, or the like).  Students anticipating the need to be absent are expected to consult with the instructor in a timely manner.  The instructor is not obligated to allow students to make up missed work; it is the instructor’s decision, not the dean’s, whether students may be allowed such a privilege. Neither the Department of Student Health nor the dean’s office issues excuses for class absence or for missed quizzes.  Only when students are unable to contact instructors themselves (e.g., debilitating illness, leaving town suddenly for family emergencies, protracted absences) do the Association Deans send notification to instructors; otherwise it is the student’s responsibility to consult directly with the instructor regarding absence from class. Excuses for absences from final examinations must come only from the dean’s office.

Course Enrollment Deadlines The College takes seriously all deadlines related to course enrollment.  Students are responsible for being aware of the well-publicized dates each semester for adding, dropping or withdrawing from a course, or for changing the grading basis of a course.  Students who miss these deadlines may be subject to enrollment penalties.  Students who wish to appeal penalties attached to missed deadlines must see their association deans. 

Course Load Special permission is required to register for fewer than 12 credits or more than 17 credits each semester.  Any student who completes fewer than 12 credits incurs academic probation (see Academic Standing above).  Students who register but enroll in no courses have their registration terminated.  Students in their final semester prior to graduation whose petition for a reduced course load has been approved do not incur academic probation.

Full time students enroll with the expectation of completing their degrees in no more than eight semesters, proportionally fewer if they enter as transfer students.  In serious medical or extenuating personal circumstances and upon approval of a petition to the College, a student may be permitted to enroll as a full time student in a ninth semester.  The College does not grant extra semesters for students who seek to complete a second major, nor may student athletes enroll for an extra semester because an injury caused an interruption of their athletic eligibility (“red shirt” situations).  Students who fail to finish their degree programs in the allotted number of semesters allowed may complete their course work in the Summer Session, through part-time enrollment, or, with prior permission, at another accredited institution.

Courses Taken at Other Institutions Students who wish to take academic courses at another institution after matriculation at the University must have the prior written permission of the dean and the undergraduate advisor or chair of the department that offers corresponding work at the University.  Permission is not granted unless students have at least a 2.000 cumulative grade point average (2.500 for courses taken abroad). After matriculation at the University, students may not fulfill College area requirements with transfer course work, the only exceptions being a foreign language course taught in the target country and courses taught at the University of Virginia extension in Northern Virginia and the U.Va. direct credit study abroad programs.  Subject to the above, work completed elsewhere with a grade of C or better is transferred in credits only; letter grades do not appear on the University’s official records.  Students will receive no more, and may receive fewer, than the number of credits earned at the host institution.  Of the 120 credits required for graduation, at least 60 must be taken at the University of Virginia.  Twelve or more credits attempted in a single semester for work at another institution, including at a foreign institution, will constitute one of the eight semesters allotted for full-time study in the College. 

Discontinuing a Course Students may not be removed from a course due to lack of skills or knowledge unless these requirements are identified in the course prerequisites.  Students who decide to discontinue a course in which they have enrolled must use SIS to drop the course within the well-publicized deadlines.  Students who fail to revise their list of current courses by using SIS within the deadlines become subject to penalties determined by the dean.  Students who fail to appear for a first class meeting and who have not made arrangements with the instructor are subject to disenrollment from the course.  However, it is the student’s responsibility to drop the course via SIS by the drop deadline.  After the drop period, students in the College may withdraw from a course in SIS with a grade of W until eight weeks from the first day of the semester.  After this point, students must either complete the course or, with the instructor’s endorsement, submit a request for an incomplete to the dean’s office.  Students who discontinue a course at any point without complying with the proper procedure receive a failing grade.

For year-long College courses, the deadlines to add and drop are those for the first semester, and the withdrawal deadline is that of the second semester.

Dual Enrollment If a course for which dual enrollment credits have been awarded is repeated, the dual enrollment credits are disallowed.  The repeated course is posted, with its credits counting toward graduation and its grade included in the computation of the grade point average.  Dual enrollment credit may not be used to fulfill competency requirements.

Exclusion From Classes A student who is making no real progress in a class, or whose behavior is detracting from the class, may be excluded from that course by the dean with a grade of W or F.  Students have five calendar days following written notification of this exclusion in which to appeal.  Until the final disposition of the appeal, the student is considered enrolled in the class.

Graduate-Level Courses Undergraduates may not enroll in courses numbered 6000 and higher without the prior written approval of the Department, the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, and the College of Arts & Sciences. Students use the “6000 Form”, available in Monroe Hall 101, to make a request for enrollment in these upper-level courses.

Independent Study and Interdisciplinary Courses Students who wish to do independent study must do so under the auspices of a Departmental or interdisciplinary degree program in the College.  Interdisciplinary courses taught under the INST subject area count among the 18 non-College credits students may include in the 120 total credits required for a College degree. 

Intra-University or Non-College Courses Students are subject to the course enrollment deadlines of the School in which the course is being offered.  As such, College students taking courses in other schools of the University must follow that School’s deadlines for dropping, adding, and withdrawing from a class.  Similarly, non-College students must abide by the College’s enrollment deadlines when taking College courses.  Non-College students who seek to withdraw from a College class after the College’s deadline are to consult with the dean of the School of their enrollment. The student remains in the class unless that Dean’s office authorizes a late withdrawal.

For students offering the minimum 120 credits for the B.A. or B.S., at least 102 must be College (or College-equivalent) courses; thus, no more than 18 credits from other schools of the University may be applied toward the B.A degree.  Elective courses in the schools of Commerce, Engineering, Education, Architecture, Leadership and Public Policy, and Nursing can count towards the 18 outside credits.  College students may not count any courses from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies toward their degree.  By faculty approval, the following courses are considered College-equivalent and may be applied to the area requirement in humanities/fine arts: AR H 1000, 1010, 1020, 1700, 3102, 3203 and 3701; ARCH 1010. By faculty approval, MSE 2010 is considered College-equivalent and may be applied to the Natural Science and Mathematics area requirement.

The following courses may not count as area requirements, but are considered College-equivalent: AR H courses (other than those noted above); ARCH 1020 and 5680; CS courses; EDLF 5450, 5460, 5640; LAR 5120 and 5130; STS 3500; and USEM 1580 (USEM 1570 courses are non-College courses). 

The following courses may count as College equivalent courses only when a student completes the requisite program of study: PLAN courses under 5000 if the minor in Urban and Environmental Planning is completed; PHS courses below 5000 when a student completes the major in Global Development Studies with a concentration in Global Public Health. 

Students in the special education part of the B.A.-M.T. Program are permitted to count the following additional six credits of Curry School courses as College-equivalent: EDIS 3020 or EDIS 5000 and one of EDIS 5100, 5110, 5120, or 5150.

In addition to courses taught by other schools in the University, the following are considered non-College courses and may not count toward the 102 College credits of the 120 credits total needed for the B.A.: all INST and LASE courses (only offered on a CR/NC grading option); all KINE or PHYE courses; all PLSK courses; all ROTC courses–AIRS, MISC, NASC; all SEMS courses; all USEM 1570 courses; and all other courses from all other schools at the University. 

Maximum Credit Hour Limits To ensure breadth and depth in each student’s degree program, the following areas of study have restrictions on the number of credits that may be applied toward the B.A. degree:

  • Dance Performance (DANC): 8 credits
  • Interdisciplinary Studies (INST): 3 credits (and no more than two classes)
  • Language House courses: 2 credits
  • Music Performance (MUBD, MUEN, MUPF): 16 credits (students completing a Distinguished Majors Program in Music may apply 20 credits)
  • Personal Skills (PLSK): 2 credits
  • Physical Education (KINE, formerly PHYE): 2 credits
  • ROTC courses (AIRS, MISC, NASC): 12 credits
  • University Seminars (USEM): 8 credits (only one course may be taken per semester) 

Part-Time Enrollment College students are ordinarily expected to be enrolled as full-time students.  However, students may choose to enroll for a semster or two on a part-time basis.  Part-time students are limited to two courses per semester for a maximum of eight credits.  Students may not count more than 16 credits taken on a part-time basis toward the degree.  College students registered full time at the University have until the drop deadline at the beginning of the semester to request conversion of their registration to part-time status.

Repeated Courses Two essentially different courses offered under the same course number may both be counted for degree credit upon the written recommendation of the director of undergraduate studies in the department concerned.  Two essentially identical courses, whether under the same course number or not, may not both be counted for degree credit.  If a course is passed and repeated, only the first grade received is entered in the computation of grade point average. However, only the repeated course counts toward the 120 credits required for graduation.  Both the original and repeated course, and their grades, appear on the student’s transcript.  If a course is failed and repeated, both courses and grades appear on the transcript, the repeated course with a passing grade counts toward the 120 credits, and both courses are computed in the grade point average.

All Fs are calculated into the student’s grade point average. Students with a blank grade should immediately meet with their instructor to determine the permanent grade; the instructor must then submit a Grade Change Form.  All blank grades and unauthorized incompletes convert to F if not resolved.

Simultaneous Counting of Courses and Cross-listed Courses One course may simultaneously meet two area requirements; it may also satisfy the second writing requirement.  Courses taken to fulfill the area and second writing requirements, with the exception of foreign language courses through the 2020 level, may be counted toward a first or second major or toward a minor.

Simultaneous Enrollments Students may not enroll in two courses that meet at the same time.  In the rare case where this is necessary, students must obtain the written approval of both instructors and the Dean of the College.  The faculty have the authority to require 100 percent attendance and participation in the scheduled courses.  The dean’s office, upon request from a faculty member, may disenroll a student, with a grade of W, from one of the courses.

Transfer Credit If a course taken elsewhere and transferred to the University is repeated and passed at the University, only the credits awarded for the transferred course count toward the 120 credits required for graduation.  The course repeated at the University does appear on the student’s transcript, but the grade earned does not enter into computation of the grade point average, nor do the credits earned count toward the 120 required for graduation.

Degree Information

 ^ TOP

In addition to the Bachelor of Arts, the College of Arts & Sciences offers the following degrees:

Bachelor of Arts with Honors The purpose of the baccalaureate degree with honors is to enable students of special ability and interest in their third and fourth years to pursue a course of independent study under the guidance of a department faculty and the supervision of the Committee on Special Programs.  Honors students devote their time primarily to their chosen subjects for two years, during which they read independently in that field and participate in tutorials and seminars conducted by their departmental tutors. Honors programs vary slightly from department to department, but candidates in all departments are evaluated finally by visiting examiners from other colleges and universities. Depending upon this evaluation, they may receive degrees with “honors,” “high honors,” or “highest honors” as the only grades for two years of work.  It is also possible they may be recommended for no degree, or for an ordinary Bachelor of Arts degree.  The most visible honors programs are those offered by the Woodrow Wilson Department of Politics and the Department of Philosophy.  Other departments that have accepted candidates for this degree are anthropology, music, and psychology. Further information may be obtained from the Directors of Undergraduate Programs in these departments.

Bachelor of Science The requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Biology, the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences, and the Bachelor of Science in Physics are included in the appropriate departmental descriptions (see Departments and Programs).

Degree Applications To receive a degree, students must comply with the well-publicized procedures administered by the College Registrar, whose office is in Monroe Hall 106.  The application process for May graduation begins in October, with the final deadline to file a May degree application falling in December, before winter break. The application deadline for August graduation is July 1; for January graduation the deadline is October 1.  Students who miss a deadline may apply for the subsequent graduation and must register for the semester in which it occurs.

Degree Requirements For graduation from the College with a B.A. or B.S., the candidate must have satisfied all competency, area and major requirements. In addition, the candidate must have passed and offer for a degree a minimum of 120 credits of approved courses, of which at least 96 must be passed on a graded basis. Among the 120 credits, at least 102 must be College or College-equivalent credits. A candidate must have made a grade point average of at least 2.000 on all graded courses taken in the College or elsewhere in the University and offered for a degree.

Teacher Education Students in the College may also apply to the five-year Education Program sponsored jointly with the Curry School of Education, which leads to the simultaneous receipt of both a B.A. degree from the College and a Master of Teaching degree from the Curry School of Education. Students will also be certified to teach on the elementary or secondary levels. Students wishing to pursue careers as teachers will major in an academic discipline in the College and simultaneously begin professional courses leading to teacher certification.

Students may select a major in any area of the College and combine it with a teaching specialization in one of the following areas:

  • Elementary Education (grades K-8)
  • Secondary Education (high school)
  • English
  • Foreign Languages (French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish)
  • Health and Physical Education
  • Mathematics
  • Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth/Space Science, Physics)
  • Social Studies (History, Economics, Government [political science], Psychology, Sociology and Cultural Anthropology)
  • Physical Education and Health (see B.S.Ed. in Curry School)
  • Special Education (Behavioral Disorders, Learning Disabilities, Mental Retardation)

Students wishing to pursue programs leading to teacher certification should contact the Office of Admissions in the Curry School of Education, 104 Ruffner Hall, (434) 924-0740. Additional information is also listed in the Curry School of Education section of this Record. Students in the B.A.-M.T. Program are responsible, each semester, for confirming their compliance with both College and Curry School certification requirements. In particular, students in the B.A.-M.T. Program must carefully plan their courses from the start so as to earn no fewer than 102 College or College-equivalent credits.

Time Frame for Degree Completion A degree program must be completed in four academic years and, under certain conditions, can be completed in three.  The first two years are intended to be spent in developing the knowledge and skills associated with a broad range of basic academic disciplines, including natural science, history and social science, the humanities, foreign language, English composition, mathematics, and fine arts.  In the third and fourth years, students are expected to pursue courses at an increasingly advanced level in several of these fields and to concentrate in one of them (the major subject).  Twelve or more credits attempted in a single semester for work at another institution, including study abroad, will constitute one of the eight semesters allotted for full-time registration in the College. In order to remain on track to graduate in four years, students must have completed 54 credits to register for a fifth semester of full time study and 84 credits to register for their seventh semester of full time study.  Students behind in hours make them up in a summer session, as transfer credits, or by enrolling as a part time student.

Final Examinations

 ^ TOP

Final examinations are given in regularly scheduled courses during a designated period of time at the end of each semester.  Final exams in courses may be given only at the times listed on the UREG (Office of the University Registrar) website. Examinations in courses not fitting the regular class times are scheduled by UREG in consultation with the instructor.  Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations.  Such changes may be authorized only by the dean’s office, and then only for compelling reasons.  All students must have the opportunity to take the exam at the time announced on the UREG website.

Students are not permitted to take a final exam before its regularly scheduled time.  When a student has three exams scheduled over two consecutive days, the student may request a postponement of one of their exams.  The student must file the exam postponement request, endorsed by the instructor of the course, no later than one week prior to the first day of the examination period.  When other genuinely serious and extenuating circumstances exist, the Association Deans may authorize student requests, when endorsed by a faculty member, to reschedule a final examination either later in the exam period by filing an examination postponement form, or, by filing an extension of time form,  to take the exam within four weeks after the exam period.  These forms are available in the Office of the Dean of the College in Monroe Hall.  Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the course.


 ^ TOP

Credit/No Credit Grades Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F for a given course.  This option is taken at the time the student registers for the course and no later than the add deadline.  An instructor has the right to deny students permission to take his or her course on a CR/NC basis.  If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the course entirely.  Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major, minor, competency or area requirements.  It is the student’s responsibility to confirm with the instructor the minimum academic level of achievement for the grade of CR.

No more than two courses may be taken on a CR/NC basis in any semester or in summer session exclusive of physical education courses.  A maximum of 24 credits of CR/NC courses may be used toward a degree.  Second-year transfer students are permitted to submit up to 18 credits of CR/NC work toward a degree; third-year transfer students, may submit a maximum 12 credits of CR/NC work.  Students may not repeat a course originally taken on a graded basis on a CR/NC basis. If this should occur, the credits in the CR/NC course would not count toward graduation.  The deadline for selecting the CR/NC option is the same as the add deadline, and requests for exceptions to the deadline are seldom granted.

Eligibility and Completion of Degree Requirements Students in the College of Arts & Sciences, who, while studying elsewhere, declare a major there, are considered to have transferred from the University. If they seek to return to the College, they must apply as transfer students via the Office of Admission. Students who have completed the requirements for a baccalaureate degree elsewhere may not enroll in a degree program in the College. A student who has received a baccalaureate degree cannot submit any courses offered for that degree toward another degree in the University. Students are subject to the area requirements in effect during the academic year when they first enter the University. Students are subject to the requirements for the major in effect during the semester in which they declare the major.

Grade Appeals and Classroom Issues Students who wish to appeal a grade or other classroom issue must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course.  Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student may appeal to the chair of the department.  If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to the associate dean for academic programs, Monroe Hall 101.

Grade Changes No grade may be changed without the approval of the dean after it has been submitted to UREG (University Registrar).  The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to UREG (University Registrar) except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.  Extra work to raise a grade, once submitted, is not permitted.  The College limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was received, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course. 

Incomplete An instructor may offer, with the dean’s approval, an extension of time for the completion of requirements in a course.  However, instructors may not offer additional work to raise a grade once a final grade has been submitted to UREG.  Unless authorized by the dean’s office, students must complete all course work before taking the final examination in a course.  Students who are granted an extension of time have 4 weeks from the end of final exams to complete the remaining course work.  A grade of IN becomes an F 30 days after the end of the examination period.  Forms for securing extensions of time are available in Monroe Hall 101.

Intra-University Transfers

      ^ TOP

Transfer Back to the College Students who have been accepted for transfer from the College to another school at the University, but wish to reverse the process and return to the College, may do so before the beginning of the new semester.  Once the semester starts, they remain enrolled as students in the other school and must apply as an Intra-University Transfer student.  A student who completes one or more semesters in another school of the University and then wishes to return to the College must apply as an Intra-University Transfer.

Transfers to the College Undergraduate students enrolled in other schools at the University may apply to transfer into the College.  With very limited space in the College, Intra-University transfer into the College is not assured.  Students seeking to transfer into the College may submit applications in either the fall or spring semester.  Information and application forms are available at http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/college/iut/index.html.
Prospective transfers are encouraged to visit the College’s website for current and accurate information about academic policies: http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/transfer.

Leaving and Returning to the University

 ^ TOP

Entering Students Whose Medical Circumstances Preclude Enrollment Entering students who for significant medical reasons need to discontinue their enrollment in the College before the semester begins must return to the University via the Admission Office, either as a deferred admission or as a transfer student.  Students deferred by the Admission Office may enroll in courses elsewhere with the permission of the Admission Office.  Transfer students must complete at least 24 semester credits of college work prior to matriculation. 

Entering students who for significant medical reasons need to discontinue their enrollment in the College after the first day of the semester must withdraw from the University as noted above.  They may return in accordance with College policy on re-admission. Students who withdraw from the semester may take courses elsewhere with the prior permission of the Office of the Dean of the College, and in accordance with College policy on transfer credit.  All such course work will be as elective credit only.

Enforced Withdrawal Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault that prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by enrollment at the University.

Further Information on Withdrawal  For further information about voluntary withdrawal, medical withdrawal, and enforced withdrawal please see the University Regulations section of this Record.  Students on financial aid should consult http://www.virginia.edu/financialaid/withdrawal.php for additional information.  Any questions about tuition and fees for withdrawn students should be directed to Student Financial Services. 

Leave of Absence The College expects students to register each semester and proceed to the completion of their degree programs.  However, students may request to take a leave of absence, which is valid for up to two consecutive semesters.  Students who plan to be away from the University in a subsequent semester (or semesters) should file for a Leave of Absence.  The Leave of Absence form may be found on the College’s website: http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/sites/college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/files/LOAForm.pdf.  The Leave of Absence form must be filed no later than the day before the beginning of the semester the student plans to be on leave. 

Students in the College who have been on an approved leave of absence apply for reenrollment when returning to the University (see below).  Students who enter a degree program at another institution, however, must reapply to the University as transfer students and are not guaranteed acceptance.

Medical Withdrawal Due to significant medical reasons, a student may need to withdraw from the semester.  A student may withdraw for medical reasons at any point in the semester, with the same conditions and restrictions applying as with a voluntary withdrawal.  In addition, students who return to the College after a medical withdrawal must be cleared by Student Health (see Readmission below).     

In very unusual medical circumstances, documented by professional certification, a College student who did not withdraw during the semester has one semester in which to petition for a retroactive medical withdrawal.  If approved, all grades convert to W’s and the student is obliged to be absent for a full semester before resuming full-time study.

Readmission  Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their readmission to the University.  Application for readmission must be made to and approved by the student’s academic dean in accordance with the College’s readmission deadlines and policies (see http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/readmission).

In addition to the requirements of the University’s policies governing readmission, students in the College returning after a fourth semester must also submit a signed Declaration of Major Form at the time of readmission, although students returning for their fifth semester may complete the Deferral of Major Form in place of the Declaration of Major Form, which is valid for one semester only.  To be readmitted for a fifth semester, students must have earned a minimum of 54 hours.  To be readmitted for a seventh semester, students must have earned a minimum of 84 hours.

Students will be notified in writing of the College’s decision on readmission.  For readmission following a medical withdrawal, students should also follow the steps outlined by Student Health, http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/caps/FormsandLetters.html. Readmission application forms are available in Monroe Hall and at http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/

Reenrollment  Students should consult “Returning to the University” in the University Regulations—Academic section of this Record for policies that govern their reenrollment at the University.  Students in the College who have been on an approved leave of absence (which is valid for up to, but no more than, two consecutive semesters) must apply for reenrollment when returning to the University.  See the school’s website for more detail (http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/leave_withdrawal).

Voluntary Withdrawal Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester, specifically up to the last day of the final examination period, if they meet the conditions stated in the University Regulations section of this Record.  However, students in the College of Arts & Sciences who withdraw within 10 class days immediately preceding the final examination period are not permitted to re-enter the College for the succeeding semester nor to present transfer credit earned during the same time.  A grade of W will be entered for each course in which the student was registered.  Students initiate the withdrawal process with their Association Dean. 

Majors and Minors

 ^ TOP

Concentrations Some departments and interdisciplinary programs offer concentrations along with the major. Students in these departments or programs may concentrate in designated areas of study that also meet the requirements of the major. Concentrations typically involve special topics, applications, or disciplines, and may include courses taken in other departments or schools of the University. A student’s concentration appears, along with the major, on his or her transcript.

Declaring the Major Students must declare their major before the last day of classes in the fourth semester.  The program must be approved by an official major advisor and the completed form must be returned to the College.  Students who begin the fifth semester without either declaring a major or deferring declaration for one semester will be blocked from enrolling in the next semester’s classes and may lose their enrollment place.  No student may begin a sixth full-time semester without a declared major.  Declaration of Major and Deferral of Major forms may be obtained in Monroe Hall 101. 

Declaring a Minor Students intending to minor must complete the appropriate forms in the department or program no later than the add period of their next to last semester in the College (normally the seventh semester).  A copy of the minor form must be delivered to the College in Monroe Hall 101.  Courses used to meet area requirements in the College and the second writing requirement may simultaneously be offered in fulfillment of a minor, except that foreign language courses through the intermediate level may not be included as part of a minor.  For most foreign language departments this means courses numbered 2020 and below, but it is 2060 for Chinese, 2120 for Portuguese, and 2320  for French.  These restrictions apply to students in all of the undergraduate Schools of the University.

Distinguished Major Students who show exceptional promise in their major field of study may be eligible for admission to the Distinguished Majors Program (DMP) within their department. This program consists of at least twelve credits of advanced work and a thesis, special project, experiment, or exhibit based on at least six credits of supervised research, advanced laboratory work, or advanced study, as determined by the department. Successful completion of the program with a University cumulative grade point average of at least 3.400 will qualify a student for graduation with distinction, high distinction, or highest distinction.

Interdisciplinary Majors A number of degree programs are administered by committees rather than by departments. These include African-American & African Studies; American Studies;  Archaeology; Asian Pacific American Studies; Bioethics; Cognitive Science; Computer Science; East Asian Studies; Echols-Interdisciplinary; Environmental Thought and Practice;  German Studies; Human Biology; Jewish Studies; Global Development Studies; Latin American Studies; Linguistics; Medieval Studies; Middle Eastern and South Asian Studies; Neuroscience;  Political and Social Thought; Political Philosophy, Policy and Law; Slavic-Russian and East European Studies; Media Studies; Women, Gender and Sexuality; and a self-designed interdisciplinary major.

Students completing an interdisciplinary major may submit up to three courses toward the completion of another major. However, both the sponsoring program for the first major and the sponsoring department or prgram for the second major must appove the sharing of courses for both majors. 

Students who complete the Global Public Health track with the Global Development Studies major may count the four required Public Health Science (PHS) courses as College-equivalent credit.

Students wishing to focus on an area for which there is no departmental or interdepartmental major program may apply to the College for acceptance in the Interdisciplinary Major Program. Such a plan of study must include at least 30 credits of courses, in addition to a 6-credit thesis. The program must also be approved by three faculty sponsors, who will serve as the student’s major committee.  Details are available in Monroe Hall.

Interdisciplinary Minors Some minors in the College are administered by Interdisciplinary Programs (see list above).  In cases where a minor is designated as interdisciplinary, a student may count up to three courses for both the minor and the major.  However, both the sponsoring program for the minor and the sponsoring department or program for the major must appove the sharing of courses between the major and the minor. 

Major Course Restrictions All courses used to meet major requirements must be taken on a graded basis.  Beyond the courses required for the major, however, a student may register for other courses in their major field on a CR/NC basis.  Courses used to meet area requirements in the College and the Second Writing Requirement may be offered in fulfillment of a first or second major.  Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred from another institution to the University except with special permission of the department.  Double counting of courses requires the permission of both major departments or programs.  Credits applied toward a major may not also be applied toward a minor, unless the major and/or minor is interdisciplinary.

Major Subject The faculty requires each student to examine one subject in depth in order to experience sustained and cumulative study of a range of related topics and issues over a period of several semesters.  Thus, all students must enroll in a major program of study offered by one of the departments or an interdepartmental program.  Study in a major allows students to focus on an area of interest where they would like to develop their intellectual capacity.  The major program will have no fewer than 21 credits; it may also require up to 12 credits in related courses.  Students may declare a second major in another department or program, in which case the application for a degree must be approved by both departments or interdepartmental programs.  Students receive one diploma, but the double major status is reflected on their transcript.  Students who double major must submit at least 18 credits in each major; credits applied toward one major may not be included in the core 18 hours of the other major, and no more than two courses can be counted simultaneously for two majors unless one or both majors is interdisciplinary (see below).  For a listing of majors offered in the College see: http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/degreeprograms

Minors in the College As part of their undergraduate coursework, students may declare a minor offered by one of the departments or programs in the College.  A minor consists of no fewer than 15 and no more than 24 credits of graded work in a program of study approved by the sponsoring department or program.  Credits applied toward a minor may not also count toward completion of a major, unless one or both of the programs is interdisciplinary (see below).  Students may not declare two minors, but they may declare two majors and a minor.  As with the major, courses taken on a CR/NC basis may not be included in the minor program.

For a listing of minors offered in the College see: http://college.artsandsciences.virginia.edu/degreeprograms

Minors Outside the College Any student without a minor in the College may declare a minor in one of the other undergraduate schools in the University which allow College enrollment.  The School of Architecture offers minors in architecture, architectural history, urban and environmental planning, landscape architecture, and historic preservation that are open to students in the College.  The School of Engineering and Applied Science offers a minor in computer science.  The McIntire School of Commerce offers a Leadership minor by application only.  For more information on these minors see the relevant section of the UG Record and each schools website. 

Students who declare a minor outside the College must keep in mind that courses taken in these schools count as non-College credits unless they have been approved as noted above as College-equivalent courses (see section on Course Rules).  Couses taken for the Urban and Environmental Planning minor in the School of Architecture may count as College-equivalent courses only if students complete the minor.  

Study Abroad

       ^ TOP

Eligibility Students must enroll for their first semester and at least one additional semester at the University in Charlottesville and complete here no fewer than thirty credits before being eligible to study abroad.  Thus new students, either first-year or transfer, may not apply for study abroad until they have completed a regular fall or spring semester at U.Va. and are enrolled for their second semester; they may not begin the study abroad program until after completing their second semester. 

To study abroad, students must be in good academic standing and have a cumulative GPA at U.Va. of no less than 2.500 at the point of application to study abroad.  Any student who does not meet either criterion must submit a petition to his or her Association Dean to be considered for an exception to College rules.  These standards apply both to direct-study programs and the traditional study abroad programs under auspices of another institution or organization.  Participation in study abroad is on a competitive basis; acceptance may be based on criteria beyond minimum cumulative GPA.

With approval of the student’s Association Dean and the major advisor, students may study abroad in their seventh or even eighth semester. Students who do so accept the risk of not graduating on time if their grades, for any reason, are not received by the deadline set by the College Registrar.

General The College encourages all students to study abroad.  Students participate in study abroad according to the guidelines below; students interested in study abroad should consult the information available in the International Studies Office in Minor Hall, which handles all applications for study abroad.  Further information is posted on its website: www.virginia.edu/iso.  Students should confer with their major advisor early in the process of selecting a Study Abroad program.  Students may also consult with their Association Dean and with the Director of Undergraduate Programs in their major department.

Programs Students study abroad either in one of U.Va.’s direct-credit programs  or in non-graded transfer credit programs sponsored by other institutions.  In UVA direct credit programs, students enroll in UVA courses and  receive grades.  These courses may satisfy area and major requirements.  In transfer credit programs, students enroll in programs sponsored  by other institutions.  Grades do not transfer, although courses must be passed with a C or higher for credit to be considered.  Credit from transfer credit study abroad programs may not be used to satisfy College area or competency requirements, with the exception of the foreign language requirement, which may be fulfilled with approved course work in a country where the language is native.  The College encourage students to enroll in one of the University’s direct credit programs because of the close collaboration between the University and the host institution.  For transfer credit programs, the College strongly encourages students to select programs approved by their department and listed on the online database of programs maintained by the International Studies Office.  Students in the College may transfer elective credits from these programs approved by ISO and listed on the transfer credit database maintained by the College.  See http://saz-webdmz.eservices.virginia.edu/asequivs/studyabroad.  A maximum of 60 non-U.Va. credits from other universities, foreign study (the University’s direct-study programs exempted), advanced placement, or dual enrollment may count toward the 120 credits needed for the B.A. or B.S. degree in the College.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Students enrolled in U.Va. direct-credit programs are expected to meet the College’s longstanding criteria for good standing.  Failure to do so will result in the academic sanctions of Academic Probation or Suspension.  Students participating in semester- or year-long Study Abroad programs (not summer programs) are, like their full time counterparts in Charlottesville, expected to complete at least 12 credits each semester.  Whether on direct credit programs or other approved programs, students who study abroad for a semester use one of the full-time semesters of full time study they are allotted.

Semester at Sea Credits earned by U.Va. students in the Semester at Sea program count toward the B.A. or B.S. from the College of Arts & Sciences, in one of three ways.  First, following review by an academic department, a course can receive a department mnemonic and be counted as if it were a transfer course, e.g. ECON 2000T.  Second, a department may identify a course as a regular College course, in which case it would have the same mnemonic and number as its counterpart in the College (direct study). Both types of courses are considered “inside the College” and may count as major courses or will be offered in fulfillment of area requirements.  Third, courses without the department mnemonic carry the mnemonic SEMS.  These credits are posted with grades and count in a student’s GPA, but are not included among the 102 credits in the liberal arts required for the B.A. or B.S. degree; further, they do not meet major or area requirements.  SEMS credits may be included in the 18 credits outside of the liberal arts that may be applied to the 120 credits required for the B.A. or B.S. degree.  Students with questions in regard to fulfilling major or area requirements with courses taken during a Semester at Sea should see the Director of Undergraduate Programs in their major or their Association Dean before committing to participate in this program.

Transfer Credit

     ^ TOP

The College grants transfer credit based on an analysis of the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major and degree program, the quality of the student’s performance in the courses, and the accreditation of the institution at which the work was completed.

Transfer credit taken before matriculation may be used for fulfilling area requirements, or for fulfilling major requirements with special permission of the department. Dual enrollment credit, however, may not be used to fulfill competency requirements. Students in the College must take the second writing requirement in the College and earn a grade of at least C-.

Students must submit a request for transfer of credit form prior to enrolling in courses for transfer. Transfer credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Courses in which a grade of CR is received must be certified to be the equivalent of a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Only credits are accepted in transfer. Grades do not transfer and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia, the only exception being courses taken at the University of Virginia’s Northern Virginia Center and U.Va. direct-credit study abroad programs: grades from these courses are figured into the student’s cumulative grade point average.

Transfer credit is evaluated only for the degree program to which students are admitted, and the amount of credit awarded is subject to change if students change degree programs. In the College, the amount of transfer credit awarded and the number of full-time semesters previously completed determines class standing. Only 60 credits of transfer from other universities, foreign study, advanced placement, or dual enrollment may count toward the 120 credits needed for the B.A. or B.S. degree in the College. For more information, see the Transfer Credit section of the University Regulations.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit The College accepts College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Program by awarding advanced standing or advanced placement and in many cases transfer credit to entering students who have made specified scores on AP exams. For more information on transfer credit received based upon specific scores on various AP tests please consult the table found in the section on Admission in the general University section of this Record.  

International College-Level Examinations The College of Arts & Sciences offers advanced standing credit and/or advanced placement for many international college-level examinations.  We encourage students to contact us and the appropriate Departmental Undergraduate Director if they have questions about receiving advanced standing credit or advanced placement for any of these examinations. A list of the names of the Directors of Undergraduate Programs and their telephone numbers is located on the College of Arts & Sciences website.

The College of Arts and Sciences grants advanced standing credit and advanced placement for qualifying examination scores in the Higher-Level International Baccalaureate, the French Baccalaureate, the British A-Level, the German Abitur, and select other examinations. We award advanced standing credit or placement based upon qualifying examination scores (and, where applicable, subject coefficients) and the recommendation of the appropriate Arts & Sciences department(s).

Credit and advanced placement are generally determined on a case-by-case basis, on the student’s initiative, by the Dean’s Office in the College of Arts & Sciences and by the Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department(s). We do not award credit based upon the length of study of a particular program. Since approved credit is advanced standing credit, not transfer credit, we base the award of credit solely upon examination results and not upon completed courses.

Advanced standing credit is included among non-U.Va. credits on the student’s transcript and, along with transfer credit, is limited to a total of 60 credits. The College of Arts & Sciences and individual departments may limit the number of advanced standing credits awarded to an individual. Students may receive at least one, and not more than two, semesters of introductory-level credit per qualifying examination score. Departments have their own policies on the use of advanced standing credit for their major or minor requirements.

The College does not award credit for foreign language subject examinations of English language or literature.

The College does not automatically award credit for international college-level examinations. To receive credit, students must provide an official copy of their examination certificate, including an official English translation if requested. The certificate should be sent directly to the College of Arts & Sciences, P.O. Box 400133, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4133, or delivered in-person in a sealed envelope. Students must be prepared to provide to the departmental undergraduate directors official course descriptions, syllabi, and copies of examinations. No special form is required from the department to verify the award of credit. Recommendations, however, should be made on departmental letterhead stationery. Undergraduate directors may call Dean Frank Papovich at 924-3350 with any questions.

The College is pleased to assist students with the review of international college-level examinations. Questions may be directed to Dean Frank Papovich. Readers are referred to the credits awarded for scores on the IB and British Advanced Levels printed at the end of Admission to the University section of this Record.