The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
    University of Virginia
  Jan 19, 2018
Summer Record 2012 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Tuition and Fees

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Summer Session 2012 Tuition and Fees
Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $  308.00
Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $  351.00
Non-Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $1,075.00
Non-Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $  740.00
Research fee (theses or dissertations) Includes Comprehensive Fee   $1,045.00

Note: Students who undertake any form of academic study within the University, including those working on dissertations or theses, using any University facility, or consulting regularly with faculty concerning graduate work, must register accordingly and pay the research fee.

Comprehensive Fee
Comprehensive Fee, Virginian   $325.00
Comprehensive Fee, Non-Virginian   $383.00

Non-Resident Fee for degree recipients

For Students neither enrolled in a class nor registered for research who will have completed by June 1 all work towards a graduate degree and will receive the degree in August.  

Tuition and fee for the Summer Session are comparable to those charged during the regular session for similar courses or privileges.

Special fees for certain courses are noted in the course descriptions. There are no laboratory fees for science courses, but students will be charged for the replacement or repair of University property they lose or damage.

Full-time regular session faculty and staff taking summer courses do not pay the comprehensive fee. Faculty spouses pay a reduced comprehensive fee. Contact the Office of Summer and Special Academic Programs for details.

Refunds of tuition and fee overpayments will be processed automatically after the first week of Session II classes.

Checks (paper or electronic) returned for non-sufficient or uncollected funds will be immediately redeposited by the University’s bank. All checks returned a second time will be charged a $20 service charge. In addition, checks which are returned a second time will subject the student to financial suspension.

Transcripts: Transcripts of courses taken, grades given, and degrees received at the University of Virginia are maintained in UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in accordance with the guidelines of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. As the transcript is a record of all academic work attempted at the University, it is not possible to segregate individual courses or semesters or to print only undergraduate or graduate work. Current students may view their records in their dean’s office or in UREG (Office of the University Registrar) upon proof of identification. Students may obtain copies of transcripts from UREG (Office of the University Registrar) by making a written or on-line request authorizing the release of the transcript. A $10 fee is charged for each copy. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold the transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial or administrative obligations with the University.

Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Any student attempting to gain access to, or possession of, another student’s record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.

Official Financial Obligations: You must clear all financial obligations to the University before you can officially register for summer session. Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due obligations. Suspension action includes the dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their academic transcripts. Past due obligations will be reported to the State for offset against State income tax refunds, State vendor payments, lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to 50% of their debt.

Federal Financial Aid


Financial Aid for UVa students is available for Summer Session through Student Financial Services. The primary source of financial assistance is student loans; however, limited grant funds are available to eligible students taking courses on-grounds.

Grant and Scholarship assistance for summer session is limited.  To be eligible for any summer financial aid you must be registered at UVA Summer Session in Charlottesville for at least six (6) credit hours.  No exceptions will be made, and aid will not be awarded for attendance at a school other than UVA.

How To Apply

  1. Apply for a U.S. Department of Education personal identification number (PIN) if you don’t already have one. Your PIN will allow you to electronically “sign” financial aid applications and federal loan promissory notes. Apply for a PIN online at
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2010-2011. For the quickest and most accurate processing, students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA online. The University of Virginia’s school code for the FAFSA is 003745.
  3. Enroll in a Summer School course.  Once you are enrolled in the course (in at least six hours over the entire summer term), Student Financial Services will begin to award your financial aid.  Check your Student Center under Financial Aid to see the aid you may have for summer.  You will also be notified by email when the aid is available for viewing.  If you do not have eligibility for grant/scholarship assistance and you have used your annual limits for the Federal Direct Loans, then your only options for financial aid are the Parent PLUS loan for dependent students and private student loans for either dependent or independent students.
  4. Students enrolled in Study Abroad Summer Session need to follow the directions under our Study Abroad section.
  5. The Parent Direct PLUS Loan is available for Summer Session. Parent’s interested in applying for the PLUS Loan need to fill out an UVa Summer PLUS Loan Application. For more information about the PLUS Loan , visit our loans page.  

If you are in the Teacher Education program and plan to graduate in December, 2012, you are considered a graduate student for Summer 2012. Please go to the Graduate Summer Session section for information about financial aid. If you are in the Teacher Education program and plan to graduate in May, 2013, you are considered an undergraduate student for Summer 2012.

Note: Summer Financial Aid is only available to students enrolled in a degree program at the University of Virginia and for classes offered at the University of Virginia.

Other Financial Assistance


A limited amount of financial aid may be available for graduate students in Education. Contact the department in which you will enroll for information on possible financial aid. All summer financial aid is administered by departments and the application process and schedule varies.

Mountain Lake Biological Station
MLBS offers a limited amount of financial aid via the Walton Scholarship Fund and other fellowship programs. Students may also apply for service awards to defray costs of room and board. Service award duties include working in the dining hall and cleaning and upkeep of common areas at the Station. For more information visit the MLBS office at 223 Gilmer Hall, UVa, PO Box 400327, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4327 or email

In-State Eligibility


Classification as an In-State Student

The Code of Virginia, Section 23-7.4 governs the determination of eligibility for in-state tuition privileges. Pursuant to the Code, all applicants seeking in-state privileges must complete an Application for In-State Educational Privileges. New applicants and applicants enrolled as in-state students at other Virginia institutions must complete an Application. Currently enrolled University students are not required to complete an Application if enrolled as an in-state student in a degree program for the entire spring semester immediately prior to the Summer Session and continuing in that same program for the fall semester thereafter.

The Application for In-State Educational Privileges must be submitted with the Summer Session Application no later than the first day of classes of the summer session. Applications submitted after the first day of classes will not be reviewed and the applicant will be ineligible for in-state tuition for that semester. 

A thorough explanation of the statutory requirements for in-state eligibility may be found at the Virginia State Council of Higher Education’s website at: Applicants requiring additional information may contact the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students at: 434-982-3391or Andrea Leeds Armstrong, the Director of the Office at:

The Application for In-State Educational Privileges may be obtained from the Summer Session office, the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students or downloaded from the University’s website at:

Additional information and supporting documentation may be requested by either The Summer Session Office or the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students. An applicant denied eligibility may appeal the determination by providing written notice no later than ten calendar days after the denial. The request for an appeal should be sent to the Director of the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904. 

Senior Citizens, Veterans, and War Orphans


Senior Citizens
In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. Program fees for non-credit classes will not be waived. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University.

To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until final registration is completed.

Veterans Benefits
UREG (Office of the University Registrar) is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville VA, 22904-4204; (434) 982-6000.)

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: Inquiries regarding how to start VA benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: UREG (Office of the University Registrar), P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville VA 22904-4203; (434) 924-4122; or e-mail