Nov 28, 2021  
Undergraduate Record 2012-2013 
Undergraduate Record 2012-2013 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

School of Architecture: Academic Rules, Regulations, and Information

Academic Rules   Departments/Programs 

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Course Load Special permission of the Dean’s office is required to register for fewer than 12 credits or more than 18 credits each semester.

Incomplete and Missing Grades A grade of IN (Incomplete) is not a valid final grade and converts to an F either 30 days after the last day of the examination period, or on the first day of classes of the subsequent semester, whichever comes first. Thesis credit deadlines are handled on a case-by-case basis between the student and the thesis chair. When assigning a grade of incomplete, a faculty member must complete and submit an Incomplete Grade Submission Form to the School registrar. An extension of the deadline specified above will be considered only in extreme circumstances, and requires the approval of the Associate Dean for Academics. These regulations apply to courses listed through the School of Architecture. For a course listed in another academic unit, the regulations of that unit apply.

Credit/No Credit Grades Students have the option of receiving a CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades, A through F, for a given course. This option is selected when students register for courses no later than the add deadline. Instructors have the right to deny students permission to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option, or they may drop the courses entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements.

Only one three-credit course of open elective credit may be taken each semester on a CR/NC basis.

Class Standing Students are categorized by class according to the number of credits they have earned as follows: first year: 0-29 credits; second year: 30-59 credits; third year: 60-89 credits; fourth year: 90 or more credits. AP and transfer credits are included in the computation of class standing; credits not completed or completed unsuccessfully are not. Students in the design concentration are classified according to their studio level.

Grade Changes No grade may be changed without the approval of the Dean’s Office after it has been submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar). The Dean’s Office is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar) except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. Extra work to raise a grade, once submitted, is not permitted.

The School limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was received, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course. Incompletes are handled under the policy of Incomplete.

Withdrawal After the drop deadline has passed, a grade of “W” is assigned. An appropriate withdrawal grade of W appears on the official academic record.

Grade Appeals Students may appeal negative decisions about enrollment, grades, or general academic policies in the School of Architecture according to the procedures which follow. It is understood that only students may submit appeals. Appeals must be made 7 days after the end of that semester’s examination period; students should consult with the Associate Dean for Academics for details.

Grading Issues Students who wish to appeal a grade must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student consults with the chair of the department. If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to the Associate Dean for Academics

Readmission Students who do not enroll at the University for a semester or more and who are not on an educational leave of absence must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they were on an approved leave of absence. In order to accomplish readmission, students must be cleared by the Associate Dean for Academics, the Department of Student Health, and the Office of the Dean of Students. Application for readmission must be made to the Associate Dean for Academics’ office 60 days in advance of the first day of classes for the semester in which the student wants recommence classes at the University. If students want to ensure their eligibility for financial aid, they should contact Student Financial Services prior to that semester. The readmission process – including obtaining all necessary clearances – must be complete prior to the first day of classes for that semester. For optimal course registration opportunities, it is recommended that students complete the readmissions process before the beginning of the registration period for that semester.

Readmission application forms are available in the Student Records and Registration office. For students under academic suspension from the School of Architecture, the completed application must include a statement that (1) addresses their readiness to return to full-time study, in light of any serious difficulties during their most recent enrollment (e.g. financial, medical, or personal hardship), and (2) outlines the courses needed to fulfill their degree requirements over the remaining semesters.

Readmission is not guaranteed.

Voluntary Withdrawal Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester if they meet the conditions stated in the University Regulations section.

Students in the School of Architecture who withdraw within 10 class days immediately preceding the final examination period are not permitted, except for providential reasons, to re-enter the School of Architecture for the succeeding semester nor to present transfer credit earned during the same time.

In very unusual medical circumstances, documented by professional certification, a School of Architecture student has one semester in which to petition for a retroactive medical withdrawal. If approved, all grades convert to W’s and the student is obliged to be absent for a full semester before resuming full-time study.

Voluntary Leave of Absence/Continuous Enrollment Absent notice to the contrary, the School of Architecture expects students to register each semester and proceed to the completion of their degree programs. Students who wish to take a leave of absence for either a semester or a year must apply for such leave at their dean’s office. Students on leave must apply for readmission at least 60 days prior to final registration for the semester in which they intend to enroll. Students who pay the Continuous Enrollment Fee do not apply for readmission. All others must apply for readmission (see the “Readmission” section of the Record).

Educational Leaves of Absence Students who wish to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests at another educational institution in the United States must consult with their Associate Dean for Academics and with the Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department for a leave of absence. Students who wish to study abroad in an accredited program or at an accredited foreign university must apply for a leave of absence at the International Studies Office. While on such an approved leave, a student must register at the University of Virginia as a non-resident and pay a non-resident fee; this indicates that he or she is on an approved leave of absence pursuing education interests elsewhere. Students registered for an approved leave may pre-enroll for courses and do not have to apply for readmission to the University, although they must notify their Dean’s Office or the International Studies Office of when they intend to return.

Enforced Withdrawal Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault that prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by registration at the University. Students who are forced to withdraw during a given term will have the notation “withdrawal date: mm/dd/yyyy” entered on their permanent academic records following the semester in which the action occurred. A grade of W (withdrawal) or WD (administrative withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. In order to accomplish readmission, they must be cleared by the Associate Dean for Students. Application for readmission must be made to the Associate Dean for Student’s office 60 days in advance of the next University registration period.

Medical Withdrawal Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.

Evaluation Because continuance in the School of Architecture depends on demonstrated ability and promise of professional and academic achievement, each student’s performance is evaluated at the end of every semester.

Ownership of Student Work The School of Architecture reserves the right to retain student course work for exhibition and publication with appropriate credits. Teachers who wish to retain student work for their own purposes must gain student consent and provide adequate documentation of the work for the student.

Academic Performance Students majoring in Architectural History, Architecture, , or Urban and Environmental Planning must pass their required departmental courses with a minimum grade of C-.

Grades of D or F in any of these professional courses results in repeating the course. A grade of C in a studio course is grounds for reconsideration of continuing in the studio sequence. If, in the judgment of the faculty, a student has not achieved an appropriate standard of performance in a professional subject, he or she may be required to repeat one or both terms of the course before proceeding with the next level of work in this subject. There is an approved student grievance procedure relative to grades.

Participation in formal reviews is an integral part of a student’s training in architecture. There are few tenable reasons for missing a review, and the professor must be notified of the reason for an absence. An unexcused absence from a review may be deemed by faculty as grounds for failure.

Probation Students are placed on probation if they do not pass at least 12 credits of work in any semester following the first semester, or if their cumulative GPA falls below 2.000 after the completion of the first semester. Enrollment in advanced professional course work is allowed only for students with GPAs of 2.000 or better. A third probation, or probation following suspension, results in a final suspension.

Suspension Students are suspended if they do not pass at least nine credits of work in any semester following their first semester. A minimum of one semester must elapse before students under suspension may return to the School of Architecture. Students who have been suspended once my appeal to the school’s faculty for readmission. Application for readmission is considered upon presentation of evidence that the difficulties that led to suspension have been overcome. Students under suspension may not apply transfer credits from other institutions toward their degree from the School of Architecture. No student suspended a second time will be readmitted.

Academic Rules

        ^ TOP

Residence Requirements and Transfer Credits All three programs normally require four years for completion and a minimum of two years as a full-time student in the School of Architecture. In some cases, summer session study at the University is required of transfer undergraduate applicants accepted by the School of Architecture.

Summer Session ARCH 2011 and ARCH 2021 are prerequisites for undergraduate transfer students accepted by the department of Architecture entering their third year.

The School of Architecture grants transfer credit based on an analysis of the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major and degree program, the quality of the student’s performance in the courses, and the accreditation of the institution at which the work was completed. The Dean’s Office of the School of Architecture governs the awarding of transfer credit.

Students must submit a request for transfer of credit form prior to enrolling in courses for transfer. Transfer credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Grades do not transfer and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia.

In no case are transfer credits in excess of 60 granted toward an undergraduate degree in the School of Architecture. The school does not accept pass/fail or credit/no credit courses for transfer credit.

In exceptional circumstances, the School of Architecture Dean may waive an admission or performance requirement when, in the dean’s judgment, such action best serves the intent of the program.

Required Courses A student who enters the School of Architecture without transfer credits must complete, at this University in Charlottesville, all prescribed courses in the curriculum for which she or he is a degree candidate. Students transferring from another college or university must complete, at this University in Charlottesville, all required courses in those subjects not completed at the time of first admission to the School of Architecture. Exceptions may be made to these requirements provided permission is granted in advance by the Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department at the School of Architecture.

Candidates for a degree from the School of Architecture must complete the courses in the curriculum for which they are registered, as outlined in the subsequent pages. In addition, candidates must maintain a GPA of at least 2.000 in all courses taken at the school or University and offered for a degree.

The Director of Undergraduate Programs in the appropriate department may waive a specific course requirement for a degree when, in the Director’s judgment, such action best serves the intent of the program.

Intra University Courses By faculty approval, the following courses are considered college-equivalent and may be applied to the area requirement in humanities/fine arts: AR H 1000, 1700, 2401, 3101, 3102, and 3701; ARCH 1010, ARCH 1020; LAR 4120, LAR 4130; and all ARH courses, (other than those noted above) are recognized as College equivalents. For students in the School of Architecture the following course limits apply.

  • Physical Education (PHYE) courses cannot be used for degree credit.
  • A maximum of 12 degree credits will be granted for (ROTC) courses.
  • A maximum of 8 degree credits will be granted for Ensemble Music or Dance.
  • CR/NC grading option - 1 per semester, must be counted as Open elective.

Major Declaration The first year of study in the School of Architecture includes courses in all three undergraduate programs, as well as breadth requirements. During the first semester of the second year, students declare a major in one of the three programs, as well as a concentration for majors that have concentrations

In the event a particular major or concentration is oversubscribed, admission may be limited. Admission to such programs is based on space availability, academic performance, and additional materials as specified by particular departments.

Student Owned Computers Undergraduate students are required to own a personal laptop computer equipped with basic software. A list of specifications is at

Degree Information

 ^ TOP

The School of Architecture offers three undergraduate programs of instruction under Architectural History, Architecture, and Urban and Environmental Planning. Supporting course work is offered through the cooperation of departments in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. First year students take a common core curriculum, and declare their major near the end of the second semester.

Evaluations of courses and curricula modification are continuing processes in the school. Therefore, the specific degree requirements are subject to change. In each of the degree programs, students should expect that courses may require the purchase of textbooks, software, materials, or equipment. Students may incur costs for field trips.

Bachelor of Architectural History This four-year program is one of the few of its kind in the country. Students are offered a liberal arts education with an emphasis on the study of architectural history. This degree program provides an opportunity to study historic preservation, while offering ample opportunity for interaction with the other disciplines in the school.

Bachelor of Science (Architecture) The undergraduate degree in architecture offers two tracks: the pre-professional track, and the design-thinking track. The pre-professional degree is useful for those seeking a foundation in the field of architecture either for continued education in a professional degree program or for employment in design related fields. The design-thinking track is aimed at students seeking to apply the creative approach of architectural design to broader areas of application.

Concerning the pre-professional track, most states consider an accredited degree a requirement to obtaining an architecture license. There are two types of degrees that are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB): the Bachelor of Architecture, which requires a minimum of five years of study; and the Master of Architecture. The four-year pre-professional degree is not accredited by NAAB.

The four-year, pre-professional degree is not accredited by NAAB.

Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning The Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning is a professional degree recognized by the Planning Accreditation Board. During the final two years, the student has a wide range of professional seminars and application courses to choose from in the areas of environmental planning, land use planning and growth management, and urban development and housing policy. This course of study is designed to develop an integrative knowledge of environmental and community processes, professional skills, and leadership.

Accreditation The Undergraduate Program in Urban and Environmental Planning is accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board, sponsored jointly by the American Institute of Certified Planners and the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning.