Darden Graduate School of Business
100 Darden Boulevard
University of Virginia
P.O. Box 6550
Charlottesville, VA 22906-6550
The Darden Graduate School of Business Administration owes its existence to the energy and interest of a group of bankers and business people from Virginia and neighboring states, who formed a Sponsoring Committee to assist in the organization of a graduate school of business administration.
By 1954, the Sponsoring Committee had established an endowment, and the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia appropriated additional funds. Meanwhile, a faculty committee of the University recommended that the school be established, and on March 19, 1954, the University Senate voted a like recommendation. On April 9, the Board of Visitors adopted the following resolution:
“Resolved by the Board of Visitors of the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia that a graduate School of Business Administration be hereby created as a separate School of the University.”
Since 1955, the school has grown in size, in the scope of its curriculum, and in the geographical diversity of its influence. As the reputation of the school continues to broaden, it maintains a balance in its commitment to Virginia and the South, as well as to the national and international business communities.
On July 1, 1974, it became The Colgate Darden Graduate School of Business Administration of the University of Virginia. Colgate Whitehead Darden, Jr., preeminent statesperson and educator from the State of Virginia, was Governor of Virginia from 1942 through 1946 and served as President of the University of Virginia from 1947 until 1959.
Mr. Darden was one of the prime forces in the creation of a graduate business school at the University of Virginia and remained an active supporter of the school through its development.
The school is proud to bear the name of this remarkable man.