Jun 22, 2024  
Summer Record 2005 
Summer Record 2005 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Tuition and Fees

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Summer Session 2005 Tuition and Fees
Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $170
Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $215
Non-Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $740
Non-Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $660
Research fee (theses or dissertations)
Note: Students who undertake any form of academic study within the University, including those working on dissertations or theses, using any University facility, or consulting regularly with faculty concerning graduate work, must register accordingly and pay the research fee.  
Comprehensive Fee
Virginian   $194
Non-Virginian   $199

Non-Resident Fee for degree recipients

Note: Students neither enrolled in a class nor registered for research who will have completed by June 1 all work towards a graduate degree and will receive the degree in August.  

Tuition and fee for the Summer Session are comparable to those charged during the regular session for similar courses or privileges.

Special fees for certain courses are noted in the course descriptions. There are no laboratory fees for science courses, but students will be charged for the replacement or repair of University property they lose or damage.

Full-time regular session faculty and staff taking summer courses do not pay the comprehensive fee. Faculty spouses pay a reduced comprehensive fee. Contact the Summer Session Office for details.

Refunds of tuition and fee overpayments will be processed automatically after the first week of regular summer classes. Room rent refund requests must be made in writing to the Associate Director of Housing. Please allow a minimum of one month for processing. Please make sure your present address in ISIS is correct so that your refund will be sent to the appropriate place. All refunds will first be applied towards any outstanding debts owed to the University.

Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar at www.virginia.edu/registrar for a fee of $4 per copy. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold copies of transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial obligations with the University. Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Any student attempting to gain access to or gain possession of another student’s record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.

Checks Returned for Non-Sufficient Funds Checks returned for non-sufficient or uncollected funds will be immediately redeposited by our bank. All checks returned a second time will be charged a $20 service charge. In addition, checks which are returned a second time will subject the student to financial suspension.

Official Financial Obligations You must clear all financial obligations to the University before you can officially register for summer session. Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due obligations. Suspension action includes the dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future semesters. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their academic transcripts. Past due obligations will be reported to the State for offset against State income tax refunds, State vendor payments, lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to 50% of their debt.

Federal Financial Aid


Financial Aid for UVa students is available for Summer Session through the Office of Student Financial Services. The primary source of financial assistance is student loans; however, limited grant funds are available to eligible students.

Because summer session financial assistance is limited, students should submit the required information by April 15, 2005 for priority consideration. To be considered for summer financial assistance a student must:


  • Have a completed 2004-2005 Summer Financial Aid Application on file www.virginia.edu/financialaid/formsSummer2005.html
  • Have a completed 2004-2005 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file (FAFSA) www.fafsa.edu.gov
  • Be seeking a degree at UVa
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered for at least six credits (undergraduate students)


  • Have a completed 2004-2005 Graduate Summer Financial Aid Application on file www.virginia.edu/financialaid/formsSummer2005.html
  • Have a completed 2004-2005 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file (FAFSA) (Returning graduate students only) www.fafsa.ed.gov
  • Have a completed 2005-2006 FAFSA on file (1st year graduate students only) www.fafsa.ed.gov
  • Be seeking a degree at UVa
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered for at least three credits (graduate students)

Summer Student Loans


Students may apply for a Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) or a GATE Loan (Guaranteed Access to Education) - Alternative Loan. Information regarding these loans is available at www.virginia.edu/financialaid/loans.html.

A student’s parent may also apply for a Federal PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Student) to cover summer session costs. Information regarding this loan can be found online at www.virginia.edu/financialaid/loans.html.

Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (434) 982-6000 for further information.

Other Financial Assistance


Education A limited amount of financial aid may be available for graduate students in Education. Contact the department in which you will enroll for information on possible financial aid. All summer financial aid is administered by departments and the application process and schedule varies.

Mountain Lake Biological Station offers financial aid via the Walton Scholarship Fund. There are also numerous service awards available for room and board. Duties involve working in the dining hall or cleaning the lab and assisting with the opening and closing of the Station. Contact the Director in 238 Gilmer Hall, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400327, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4327.

Virginia Resident Status


Classification as an In-State Student The rules governing eligibility for in-state tuition rates are found in Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. This statute requires that minors and dependent students (those who receive more than half of their financial support from, and/or, are claimed as tax dependents by, their parents, legal guardians, or spouses) establish their eligibility through their parents, legal guardians, or spouses. Such students must demonstrate that their parents, legal guardians, or spouses have been domiciled in Virginia for at least one year prior to the commencement of the University’s Summer Session. Independent students must demonstrate that they provide more than half of their financial support and have satisfied the statutory domicile requirements. They must also be prepared to prove their financial independence, by clear and convincing evidence.

“Domicile” means the present, fixed home of an individual to which he or she returns following temporary absences and at which the individual intends to remain indefinitely. An individual may not have more than one domicile at any time, and must abandon the former domicile before establishing a Virginia domicile. Evidence of a Virginia domicile must include residence (physical presence) in the state for twelve consecutive months, and some or all of the following: payment of Virginia personal income and property taxes; possession of a Virginia driver’s license and motor vehicle registration; voter registration; and, social and economic relationships within the state. Evidence offered in support of Virginia domiciliary status must have been in existence for at least one year prior to the commencement of the semester for which eligibility is sought. The requirement of one year shall be waived for active duty military personnel residing in Virginia if all other conditions for establishing domicile are met.

Students who have moved to Virginia to attend school are not entitled to in-state tuition rates unless they can overcome-by clear and convincing evidence-the statutory presumption that their residence here is primarily for educational purposes. Eligibility is not conferred by the performance of acts that are auxiliary to fulfilling educational objectives, such as part-time employment, or the acquisition of a Virginia driver’s license, and/or, voter registration card.

Statutory exceptions to the domicile requirements exist for spouses and dependents of military members residing in Virginia, provided that they meet certain criteria. Students from military families should contact the Virginia Status Committee Office for further information. Special provisions also apply to students who reside outside Virginia but are employed full-time in Virginia and pay Virginia taxes on all income earned in the state, or, in the case of a minor or dependent student, whose parent, spouse, or legal guardian is so situated. Further information concerning this exception is available from the Virginia Status Committee Office.

All students claiming eligibility for in-state tuition rates for the Summer Session must complete an Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges unless the student (1) was enrolled as an in-state student in a degree program at the University of Virginia for the entire spring semester immediately preceding the Summer Session, and (2) will be continuing in the same degree program in the fall semester immediately following.

The Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges must be included with the Summer Session Application. Additional forms are available from the University of Virginia, Committee on Virginia Status, P. O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904. Questions concerning in-state eligibility and applicable law should be directed to the Committee on Virginia Status.

Senior Citizens, Veterans, and War Orphans


Senior Citizens In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University offers courses with tuition and required fee waived on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least sixty years old and have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. To qualify as a student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $10,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. The senior citizen must receive the permission of the instructor in order to audit the course, see page 27.

Senior citizens must complete an application for admission to the Summer Session. Return completed application to the Summer Session Office, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400161, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4161 two weeks prior to enrolling in courses. Summer Session students are subject to the University of Virginia’s academic, financial, and non-academic rules and regulations. Students enrolled in a UVa Summer Session course are expected to attend each class meeting.

Veterans’ Benefits The Office of the University Registrar is the University’s liaison between the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and the student, concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35, and 1606). The University Registrar will certify enrollment to the VA. Inquiries regarding Veterans’ Affairs educational benefits should be addressed to the Office of the University Registrar, Carruthers Hall, P. O. Box 400203, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203, (434) 924-4122 or registrar@virginia.edu. For Information on veterans’ benefits and various VA forms, visit www.gibill.va.gov.

War Orphans For information concerning war orphans, please contact Naomi Crawford at Student Financial Services: (434) 982-6000.