Jun 07, 2023  
Graduate Record 2011-2012 
Graduate Record 2011-2012 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Dining

Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Dining

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Tuition and Fees


University tuition and fees, listed below, consist of tuition and required fees, as well as a student activities fee. Students enrolled for three or fewer credits, or research credits are assessed a special session fee and do not have student access to fitness centers or athletic events. The student activities fee subsidizes activities approved by the Student Council, such as publications, club sports, and service organizations. In addition, students enrolled in the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Architecture, Business, Commerce, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine and Nursing are required to pay special school fees. Tuition is based on the student’s residency classification (i.e., Virginian or non-Virginian). University tuition and fees are subject to change.

Fixed Charge Schools

University students enrolled in fixed-charge graduate schools are assessed tuition and fees based on their residency status and school of enrollment.

Tuition and Required Fees: (does not include School fees)
Academic Year (2 semesters)
Virginia Students
In-Residence M.B.A.  


Executive M.B.A., Class of 2012 (total program cost)   $115,500
Executive M.B.A., Class of 2013 (total program cost)   $119,500
Global Executive M.B.A., Class of 2013 (total program cost)   $139,500
Graduate Commerce
   (M.S. in M.I.T.)  


   (M.S. in MIT Optional Independent Study)   $1,322 per credit
   (M.S. in Accounting)  


  (M.S. in Commerce)  


Law, 1st and 2nd Year (J.D.)   $44,560
Law 3rd Year (J.D.)  


Medicine, 1st and 2nd year (M.D.)


Medicine, 3rd and 4th year (M.D.) $39,836


Non-Virginia Students
In-Residence M.B.A.  


Executive M.B.A., Class of 2012 (total program cost)   $115,500
Executive M.B.A., Class of 2013 (total program cost)   $119,500
Global Executive M.B.A., Class of 2013 (total program cost)   $139,500
Graduate Commerce
   (M.S. in MIT)  


   (M.S. in MIT Optional Independent Study)   $1,322 per credit
   (M.S. in Accounting)  


  (M.S. in Commerce)  


Law, 1st and 2nd Year (J.D.)   $49,560
Law 3rd Year (J.D.)  


Medicine, 1st and 2nd year (M.D.)  


Medicine, 3rd and 4th year (M.D.)   $49,958


Variable-Charge Schools

University students enrolled in variable-charge graduate schools are assessed tuition and fees based on their residency status, school of enrollment, and enrollment credits. For tuition and fee assessment purposes, enrollment credits are classified as either regular credit, non-topical research, or audit.

For information on course classification and academic requirements, contact the appropriate school.

Tuition and Required Fees (Does not include School fees or $44 per year Activity Fee)


For Architecture, College of Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering, Nursing, and the Batten School:

Credit Hours

Tuition                                                      $689 per credit hour
Required Fee                                            $246 for 1-3 credits in a term, $1,146 for 4 or more credits in a term
Non-Topical Research Hours
Tuition                                                      $60 per credit hour
Required Fee                                            $246 for 1-3 credits in a term; $1,146 for 4 or more credits in a term


For Architecture, College of Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering, Nursing, and the Batten School:

Credit Hours
Tuition                                                      $1,207 per credit hour
Required Fee                                            $259 for 1-3 credits in a term, $1,482 for 4 or more credits in a term
Non-Topical Research Hours
Tuition                                                      $60 per credit hour
Required Fee                                            $259 for 1-3 credits in a term; $1,482 for 4 or more credits in a term

Tuition and fees for a blend of for-credit and non-topical research hours are calculated according to a formula.  For detailed information about blended tuition hours by school, please go to http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts/tuition_and_fee.html and click on the link for 2011 – 2012 Tuition & Fee Rates.

School Fee
Per academic year (2 Semesters); students enrolled in the schools listed below are required to pay a fee in addition to tuition, required fees, and the activities fee.

Graduate Architecture  


Graduate Arts and Sciences



Graduate Business



Graduate Commerce



Graduate Education



Graduate Engineering






Graduate Nursing






Waiver of Comprehensive Fees

Employee Waiver Program University of Virginia full-time salaried faculty (9- or 12-month), ROTC faculty, full-time staff and health care professionals who have been employed for one year or more who are enrolled in more than 3 credit hours at the University of Virginia will qualify to have their comprehensive fee waived.  At the time of application for Education Benefits through University Human Resources, Student Financial Services will be notified to waive the comprehensive fee.

Dual Degree Programs Tuition and Fees                                                                                            


J.D.-M.B.A. Program

Tuition and Fees
During the first three years of the program, students will pay one full year of Darden School tuition (when enrolled in the full-time first year curriculum at the Darden School) and two full years of Law School tuition. During the fourth and final year of the program, students will pay one semester of tuition to the Law School and one semester of tuition to the Darden School.

Financial Aid
Financial aid will be provided by the school to which the student is paying tuition during each semester. Financial aid is not guaranteed and is subject to individual school and University availability and regulations.

J.D.-M.A. Program During enrollment in this program, the student is treated as regularly matriculated at the school in which the student is in residence. The student thus pays the School of Law tuition and fees while in residence at the School of Law, and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences tuition and fees while in residence at that school.

Registration and Payment                                                                                                                    

Fall and Spring Semester Registration Registration is conducted through the SIS each semester. Instructions for registering are available in the Course Offering Directory and online at www.virginia.edu/registrar. Upon completion of the registration process, an individual is classified as a registered student. Not attending classes does not alter the registration status or the assessment of tuition and fees. Once registered for a semester, a student may terminate registration only through official withdrawal from the University.

Payment and Late Payment The final date for payment of student account balances for University charges is included in the account statement on-line for students. The payment due date for most graduate programs for the Fall 2011 semester is August 18, 2011; for the spring semester, it is January 11, 2012. However, some programs with unique start dates will have different billing and due dates. Check QuikPay@UVA for the most current billing and due date information.  Bills are available on-line through QuikPay@UVA only.  Therefore, failure to receive a bill by mail is not a legitimate reason for late payment.  Any student who fails to pay the amount due by the specified payment due date is charged as follows:

One-time late fee:   1.5% of the past-due amount  

Students are billed for late fees in the next billing after registration, and the late fee carries a due date separate from the original charge. Requests for waivers of late fees due to extenuating circumstances must be made in writing to studentaccounts@virginia.edu and must be received by Student Financial Services by the late fee due date.

Checks returned for insufficient or uncollected funds are immediately redeposited by our bank. Payment of tuition and fees by a check that is returned from the bank will incur a late fee if the repayment is not received by the due date for the charge(s) in question. A $50 service charge will also be assessed. Postdated checks should not be submitted; each check is immediately processed for payment regardless of its date.

The University accepts, on-line only, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit card payments for tuition, fees, housing, or dining charges. There is a 2.75% convenience fee charged by the payment processor if payment is made by credit card or debit card.

E-checks can be submitted through QuikPay@UVA only.  There is no service fee for paying by e-check.

Dropping Courses - Deadline for Financial Credit For students enrolled in variable charge graduate schools to receive full financial credit for dropped courses, the course must be dropped by the end of the sixth week of the school term and the student must remain enrolled in at least one course at the University. The definition of the sixth school week corresponds to the definition set forth in the withdrawal refund schedule. This drop date is used only for determining financial credit and does not bear any correlation to the dates set forth by the schools for dropping courses without academic penalty.

Installment Payment Plan The University of Virginia offers a Monthly Payment Plan in conjunction with Nelnet Business Solutions. Signup is by semester, and there is a $35 per semester fee for this plan. This payment plan allows parents and/or students to make 5 monthly payments per semester for tuition and fees, housing, and dining plans. Participation in the Monthly Payment Plan is optional and available to all students. Please note that this plan is not available as an option to pay Summer term tuition. The plan is only available for the Fall and Spring terms.  For more information, go to http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts/paymentplan.html.

Withdrawal from the University                                                                                                          

Tuition and Fees Students who withdraw from the University are charged a percentage of the tuition and fees based on the school week within which the withdrawal occurs. A school week is defined as the period beginning on Monday and ending on the succeeding Sunday; the first school week of a semester is defined as that week when classes begin. The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled and is recorded on the official withdrawal form that the student must complete as part of the withdrawal process. The schedule for allocation of tuition and fees between amounts charged and amounts credited is listed below. This schedule is subject to change.






1(partial week)   20   80
2   20   80
3   30   70
4   40   60
5   50   50
6   60   40
7   100   0

Any refunds owed to the student as a result of withdrawal will first be offset against any other amounts owed to the University.

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw prior to the completion of 60% of the enrollment period must repay Title IV funds (i.e., PLUS, Perkins, Subsidized, and Unsubsidized Loans; Pell, SEOG, HETAP, and CSAP Grants) to their sources. To determine what percentage of aid the student has earned, and what percentage must be returned, the financial aid office will divide the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the enrollment period. For details or examples, contact Student Financial Services.

Residence Hall Rent No refund of residence hall rent will be made in the event of withdrawal after the fifth class day of the semester. Upon vacating student housing facilities, the room key must be returned to the student accommodation office. The date the room key is returned to the student accommodation office is the effective termination date of the student housing contract. Failure to return the room key will result in a re-keying fee being charged to the student.

Other Fees and Special Charges                                                                                                         

Damage to University Property The student or students responsible are charged at the cost of repair or replacement.

I.D. Replacement Fee A fee of $15 is charged to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged student I.D. card. Payment must be made at the time of replacement.

Return Check Service Fee The University assesses a $50 service fee for all checks returned by the bank as non-negotiable. Checks are automatically redeposited by the bank once they are returned to the University.

Diploma Fees Replacement and duplicate diplomas may be obtained upon payment of a $50 fee plus a mailing fee.

Late Registration Fee Students who register for the term after the end of the first week of classes are assessed a $25 late registration fee. Students who register more than two weeks after the end of the first week of classes are assessed a $50 fee.

International Services Fee All students attending the University under the F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status are required to enroll for full time study in both the fall and spring semesters (12 or more credits for graduate students). Any change in visa or citizenship status must be submitted with original documentation to the International Student and Scholar Programs Office in Minor Hall. You are also required to obtain a Social Security Number if you will be receiving University-awarded financial support.

International Students will be charged a $50 International Services Fee. The revenue offsets costs associated with the operation of the federally mandated Student and Exchange Visitor Program and the associated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Further, the fees will ensure that the University is in compliance with federal mandates, as well as supporting the International Studies Office to have an adequate number of highly-skilled professionals who can address all student legal status issues.

Continuous Enrollment Fee Students are charged a fee of $190 for each semester they are on an approved leave of absence or each semester they are not enrolled for courses in a resident school but wish to maintain their matriculated status in the school. Graduate students enrolled in a dotoral degree program who are completing their dissertation away from the University may petition their dean to be approved for continuous enrollment status. Students who enroll on con continuous status pay the associated continuous enrollment fee rather than tuition or comprehensive fees.  They may not utilize faculty time or the facilities of the University of Virginia except as non-students. Students must enroll as a full-time research student for any semester in which they take comprehensive examinations or defend their dissertation or thesis. 

Additional School Expenses Students in the School of Architecture have an additional expense of approximately $150 for supplies. Students in the School of Medicine pay an additional Clinical Services Fee of $76 per semester.

General Payment Policies                                                                                                                    

Payment by the Billing Due Date Students are expected to satisfy all outstanding obligations to the University before they are permitted to attend classes for a given term. If outstanding obligations are not satisfied, courses are dropped after 5 p.m. of the Friday of the first week of classes.

Failure to Pay University Financial Obligations Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due financial obligations. Suspension includes dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current students have their debts offset against any credit balances and other proceeds, such as loan checks. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their student account, preventing them from adding classes or obtaining an academic transcript. Past due obligations are reported to the state for offset against state income tax refunds, state vendor payments, and lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third-party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to fifty percent of their debt.

Federal Loans The University participates in the Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Further information on federal loans is available in the Financial Aid section of this Record.

University Awarded Loans Proceeds from University awarded loans (e.g., Perkins, health professions, nursing, or institutional loans) are not distributed by check but are applied directly to the student’s University account. Undergraduates must be registered for at least twelve credits, and graduates for the number of credits specified on the loan application, to be eligible to receive credit from these loan proceeds.

Credit Balances Credit balances resulting from a scholarship, fellowship, or University awarded grant or loan are refunded by U.S. mail to arrive on or about September 1 in the fall and February 1 in the spring, unless direct deposit is in effect. Credit balances resulting from the installment payment plan are refunded in mid-November for the fall semester and mid-April for the spring semester.

Credit balances resulting from overpayment may first be used to offset any other past due amounts owed to the University. Credit balances of less than $5 are not refunded unless requested.

The University offers direct deposit of credit balance refunds to students’ bank accounts. Sign-up forms can be obtained from the payroll office or at http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts. Direct deposit of credit balances is strongly encouraged, though not required. If not chosen, checks are still issued; however, creation of checks is a slower process than direct deposit.

Home and Mailing Addresses Student Financial Services uses the home and mailing addresses that are recorded in SIS. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain current addresses in the SIS. Failure to update addresses on a timely basis may result in misdirected refund checks.  Because the Mailing address type is used for refunds sent by check, please ensure your Mailing address is always up to date in the SIS.

Taxability of Scholarships and Fellowships The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code permits the exclusion of scholarships or fellowships from income up to the amount used for the payment of course-related expenses (i.e., tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment). The IRS does not consider the cost of room and board to be course-related. Stipends or living allowances paid as part of a scholarship or fellowship are considered taxable income. The University is required to withhold taxes on such payments only to nonresident alien recipients not claiming treaty benefits. However, all recipients are required to report their scholarships and fellowships to the IRS by filing a yearly tax return and to pay the requisite taxes. These provisions apply to all scholarship and fellowship recipients of domestic source grants, regardless of whether the recipient is an undergraduate, graduate student, citizen, or nonresident alien. Students should retain receipts for tax deductible items. The University cannot provide tax counsel.

Auditing Courses Students currently enrolled for regular or non-topical research courses are charged the regular graduate per hour rate for audited courses. Individuals not currently enrolled who wish to audit courses at the University must do so through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and are subject to their rate schedule.

Senior Citizens In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. Eligible persons should contact Student Financial Services to request the waiver.

To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until regular registration is completed.

Veterans’ Benefits UREG (Office of the University Registrar) is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville VA, 22904-4204; (434) 982-6000.)

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: www.gibill.va.gov. Inquiries regarding how to start up VA benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: UREG (Office of the University Registrar), P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203; (434) 924-4122; or e-mail certify@virginia.edu.

Classification as an In-State Student                                                                                                  

Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 et. seq. of the Code of Virginia.

Applicants for admission apply for in-state status by completing the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges, available as part of the Application for Admission.

Currently enrolled students apply for changes in residency status through the Committee on Virginia Status, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203. Applications must be received prior to the first day of class of the semester for which in-state privileges are sought.

Students classified as non-Virginia residents in current degree programs should contact the Office of Virginia Status if they are considering applying for admission to other degree programs.

Students with an initial entry date of Fall 2006 or later may not exceed attempted hours that total 125% of the credit hours needed for a specific degree program and retain in-state tuition eligibility. The Code of Virginia states that if a student who is classified as in-state exceeds 125% of the required credit hours to complete their degree, they will be subject to a surcharge each semester thereafter. This surcharge will appear on the student account, typically at the end of the add/drop period each term.

The following courses and credit hours shall be excluded:  remedial courses; transfer credits from another college or university that do not meet degree requirements for general education courses or the student’s chosen program of study; advanced placement or international baccalaureate credits that were obtained while in high school or another secondary school program; and dual enrollment, college-level credits obtained by the student prior to receiving a high school diploma.

The Code of Virginia establishes rules for eligibility for in-state tuition for all students enrolled at public institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Section 23-7.4:F of the Code of Virginia further requires undergraduate students to maintain progress toward the degree to comply with continued eligibility for in-state tuition.

Inquiries about the surcharge and about specific conditions for appeal of the surcharge can be made to Student Financial Services at studentaccounts@virginia.edu, or in person at our offices in Carruthers Hall, at 1001 Emmet Street. Appeals of the surcharge will be received by Student Financial Services and reviewed by your School of enrollment.

University Housing


The housing of students has been a prime consideration of the University since its founding. The University has two main goals in providing students with housing accommodations on Grounds. The first is to furnish students with a variety of housing arrangements at a reasonable cost. The second is to provide an environment in which each student may achieve the maximum realization of his or her potential-intellectually, socially, and physically. Attributes such as self-discipline, concern for the rights of others, mental and social maturity, and respect for public and private property are expected to be fostered in group residence situations.

Graduate student housing is available in residence halls and apartments and these spaces are awarded through the room selection process. On-Grounds housing is readily available.

Room Reservations Room Reservations On-grounds housing applications for incoming graduate students can be found online at www.virginia.edu/housing/applications. Applications are due before June 1, 2010.

Room rent is charged by the semester and is due and payable upon receipt of a bill from Student Financial Services. All housing charges are subject to change.

All correspondence regarding University-owned accommodations for single students should be addressed to Accommodations, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-6873, Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.

Accommodations for Single Students                                                                                                 

Copeley III & IV Located on the North Grounds, these complexes contain 74 two-bedroom apartments. One building is reserved for graduate students. The apartments accommodate four students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. Each apartment is furnished with a sofa, chairs, a dining table and chairs, refrigerator, stove, single beds, wardrobes (each with a built-in chest), desks, and chairs. Laundry rooms and postal boxes are also available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and common rooms are wired for cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

The Range and Crackerbox Consists of rooms located on the flanks of the Lawn. Each room is a single bedroom equipped with single bed, wardrobe, desk, and chair, and is wired for voice, data, and cable television. There is a special application process for the Range and Crackerbox that can be found at www.student.virginia.edu/range. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Family Housing Accommodations                                                                                                        

University Gardens This eight-building apartment complex north of Central Grounds on Emmet Street (U.S. Route 29) contains 41 one-bedroom apartments and 28 two-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

Copeley Hill Apartments These accommodations of masonry construction, located northwest of Central Grounds, consist of 112 one-bedroom apartments, 112 two-bedroom apartments, and 30 three-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

The Family Housing Association The association is governed by a council elected by residents from the various neighborhoods of the family housing communities. The FHA coordinates programmatic functions for the residents and serves as residents’ liaison with the Housing Division and other agencies.

Requests for information regarding student family housing should be addressed to Family Housing, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-7030, Fax: (434) 924-3758: housing@virginia.edu.

Off Grounds Accommodations                                                                                                            

Students wishing to obtain housing off Grounds should consult the local apartment locator services: www.brac.com or www.uvastudentcouncil.com/offgrounds.

Housing Regulations                                                                                                                           

Graduate students may live in University accommodations on Grounds, in fraternity or sorority houses, or in off grounds accommodations.

All rooms in University facilities are subject to the University Housing Terms and Conditions of Residence. This includes billing students for facility damages. When specific responsibility for damage cannot be determined, all costs are divided equally among the residents of that unit.

Students are strongly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance as the University is not responsible for damage to residents’ property.

Rental Rates                                                                                                                                      

The following University housing rental charges are for the 2009-2010 session and are subject to change. For current rate information, go to www.virginia.edu/housing.

Single Student Rental Rates
Per Occupant for Nine Month Session
Copeley III & IV - Ribble


The Range and Crackerbox
  Single Room  


  Single Room (12 months)  


Family Housing Rental Rates
Per Month
Including utilities, except telephone.
Copeley Hill:
One Bedroom




Two Bedroom




Three Bedroom




University Gardens:
One Bedroom




Two Bedroom





Dining at U.Va.


Dining provides students numerous opportunities for meals and snacks from dining rooms, food courts, coffee shops, and convenience stores around Grounds. The residential dining rooms serve three meals on weekdays, as well as brunch and dinner on weekends, while select food court locations are open until late at night to offer a wide variety of dining options. Dining locations are accessible to students with disabilities.

The University student identification card is the student’s entry into the residential dining rooms. It allows students to use the meals and Plus Dollars on their dining plans, and tells them the current balances. If the card is lost or stolen, the card office must be notified immediately at 924-4508 to deactivate the card. A separate card is issued to students in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Graduate Students have the option of selecting the Grad 50/50 Meal Plan. A specially-designed plan that includes meals at the Garden Room - an exclusive faculty and staff dining room on the West Range.

For more information, please Visit the Dining website at www.virginia.edu/dining or contact Meal Plan Coordinator, U.Va. Dining, P.O. Box 400312, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4312; (434) 982-5140, Fax: (434) 982-4995; dining@virginia.edu.

Meal Plan Options                                                                                                                               

Please note that the following descriptions of the meal plans do not include all relevant terms and conditions of the contract. Please refer to the dining brochure and the Annual Dining Plan Contract for complete details regarding meal plans.

Weekly Meal Allowance The meal allowance is designed especially for first year students and students living on Grounds during the year. The meal allowance lets students enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the residential dining rooms. Students receive a set number of meals per week based on the selected plan. Each time students eat in a residential dining room, one meal is subtracted from the semester’s meal allowance.

Semester Meal Allowance The semester meal allowance lets students enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the residential dining rooms. Students receive a set number of guaranteed meals per semester. Each time students eat in a residential dining room, one meal is subtracted from the semester’s meal allowance.

Plus Dollars Most meal plans include Plus Dollars, which can be used in all dining locations. They work like an ATM or debit card, and students can use Plus Dollars for beverages, snacks, or full meals. The total purchase price is subtracted from the Plus Dollar dining plan balance. Students may increase the flexibility of their meal plan by purchasing additional Plus Dollars at any time. All charges are billed by Student Financial Services, and funds are available within one business day of sign-up.

Meal Exchange a new component of the meal plan that allows students to use a swipe for a meal (a combo package, not dollar amount) at several U.Va. Dining retail locations. 

The Unlimited Plan provides complete access to the dining rooms for meals or snacks during regular hours of operation. There are no limits to the number of meals that may be eaten during the day or week. This program permits the student to fit his or her meals into the most demanding schedule. This plan also comes with 10 guest meals each semester.

The Plus 15, Plus 13, Plus 10, and Upperclass 10 meal plans allow the student any 15, 13, or 10 all-you-care-to-eat meals each week. Each of these plans is supplemented with Plus Dollars and 10 guest meals each semester.

The Semester 100, Semester 80, and Semester 50 meal plans are available to upperclass students, and they provide either 100, 80, or 50 meals per semester. These plans are especially convenient for students who live off Grounds . Each of these plans is supplemented with Plus Dollars and any of the meals may be used for a guest at the residential dining rooms.

Residential Colleges and Language Houses Students enrolled in either the Hereford, Brown, Shea, French, or Spanish houses must choose a residential dining plan. These plans include banquets and special events which are part of the residential college experience. First-year students must select either the Unlimited, Plus 15, or Plus 13 dining plan.

Required Meals

Brown College requires that all residents buy a meal plan barring dietary concerns and it is expected that residents will eat in the College dining hall in Newcomb Hall.  Students who have serious dietary issues can work with the Dining Services nutritionist to accommodate their needs.

Hereford College requires that all residents eat at Runk Dining for Sunday brunch or dinner and two additional dinners between Monday and Thursday evening.

Language Houses The French and Spanish language houses require that all residents participate in a Language House Dining Plan. Students are required to eat dinner Monday through Thursday at their respective language house.

Athletic Dining Plans Varsity student athletes are required to participate in an Athletic dining plan. These plans include dinners at the John Paul Jones athletic dining room, featuring recipes designed to meet the special nutritional needs of student-athletes.

Meal Plan Changes

Meal plans are purchased for the entire academic year. All changes must be made by letter, on the Dining website (www.virginia.edu/dining) by completing the Dining Plan Change Request Form, or by filling out an Intent to Change Form at the Dining Services Administrative Office at Observatory Hill during a specific time period each semester. First year students are required to purchase a meal plan for the entire year.

Students may upgrade to a meal plan with more weekly or semester meals at any time during the academic year. 

There is no fee for upgrading meal plans; however a $50 administrative fee is applied to all cancellations except for students graduating in December or studying abroad.

Meal plan contracts are annual contracts, 2010-2011 meal plan rates are available on U.Va. Dining website at www.virginia.edu/dining.