Jun 28, 2022  
Graduate Record 2011-2012 
Graduate Record 2011-2012 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Academic Regulations

Academic Regulations

The following academic regulations appear in this section:

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Academic Grievance Procedure

  ^ TOP

Students who have a grievance relating to a faculty member, department chair, or dean are invited to discuss their academic grievance in the following manner:

1. concerns related to a faculty member that cannot be resolved between the two parties should be discussed with the department chair on a person-to-person basis;
2. if the concern is related to the department chair (in schools with departments), the grievance should be filed with the dean of the school;
3. if the concern is related to the dean of the school, the grievance should be filed with the Vice President and Provost;
4. if the level of concern relates to the Vice President and Provost, appropriate written documentation should be presented to the President of the University.

Academic Probation, Warning, and Suspension

  ^ TOP

Probation Students may be placed on academic probation or academic warning for failure to make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Failure to make satisfactory progress can mean the failure to either meet a certain grade point average in a given semester or to maintain a cumulative grade point average at a specified level. Failure to make satisfactory progress may also mean failure to earn enough academic credits in a given semester or to earn a specified number of credits at the end of each academic year, (e.g., by the end of the student’s first year, second year, etc.). Probation is in the nature of a warning that if credit or grade point deficiencies are not rectified within a specified period of time, the student is subject to academic suspension from the University. The schools of the University have different definitions of what constitutes satisfactory academic progress. Students should consult their school’s section in this catalog to determine the definition and possible sanctions appropriate to their school.

Suspension Students who have been on probation or warning and who continue to make less than satisfactory progress toward their degrees will be suspended from the University. In most schools, a suspended student may apply for readmission to the University after one calendar year. Applications for readmission must be made in writing to the student’s dean. Students who are readmitted after being suspended are considered to be on probation and must meet specified academic objectives. Failure to meet those objectives will result in a second academic suspension. A second academic suspension is considered final.

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

  ^ TOP

Students who have physical, learning or psychiatric disabilities that may require reasonable accommodation at the University should contact the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center (LNEC) in the Department of Student Health. Such disabilities may include, but are not limited to, vision, hearing, or mobility impairments, or impairment related to a learning, attention or psychiatric disorder. The LNEC coordinates disability accommodations, such as alternate text formats for course material, peer note-taking, extended time for tests, sign language and other interpreting, and housing arrangements. Preliminary evaluation of academic difficulties and other services are also available to students who are eligible for Student Health services. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the University of the need for accommodations, and students must submit appropriate documentation in support of a request for accommodations. All accommodation requests should be submitted in a timely manner, preferably before the semester begins, or not later than three weeks into the semester. Specific deadlines for certain types of accommodation requests are posted on the LNEC website each term; however, every request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. For requests involving on-Grounds housing, appropriate deadlines within the Housing office also should be met. For more specific information about services and policies, including guidelines and forms for documentation, see the LNEC website at www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/lnec.html. The LNEC can be reached by telephone at: 434-243-5180  (voice); 434-465-6579 (video phone); and 434-243-5188 (fax).

Attendance in Classes

  ^ TOP

Faculty members have the right to establish attendance and participation requirements in each of their classes. Instructors may establish penalties when excessive absences would seriously hinder achievement in any class.

Auditing Courses

  ^ TOP

Students may audit classes with the permission of the instructor. Classes successfully taken on an audit basis have the symbol AU (audit) recorded in the grade column of the academic record. As no credits or grade points are earned in audited courses, these courses are not applicable toward a degree. Instructors have the option of deciding whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. A grade of W is recorded for any student who discontinues the audit after the drop deadline or who fails to meet the instructor’s standards.

Changes in Schedules (Add/Drop/Withdrawal)

  ^ TOP

Changes in students’ class schedules are made by using SIS (the Student Information System). Students may add and drop courses through the deadlines set by their school each semester.

After the drop deadline has passed, a grade is assigned by the instructor depending upon the policies of the school in which the student is enrolled. An appropriate withdrawal grade appears on the official academic record.

No refunds are given for classes dropped after the mid-point of the semester.

Specific add, drop, and withdrawal policies and dates may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Complaints and Grievances


Students who have a grievance relating to a faculty member, department chair, or dean should consult the academic grievance procedure.

Students who believe he or she has been the target of bias should consult the bias reporting procedure.

Students who believe he or she has been subjected to discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, or family medical or genetic information should consult the Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP) complaint procedures.

Students who have a grievance concerning University personnel or regulations in the area of student affairs should consult the (non-academic) grievance procedure.  

Students who have a complaint concerning sexual misconduct should consult the sexual misconduct procedure.

Students or prospective students who have complaints against the University, that are not resolved at the institutional level, may contact the following organizations:

For unresolved complaints concerning University compliance with accrediting standards, contact the Southern Association of Colleges and School (SACSCOC) at (404)-679-4500.  The SACSCOC “Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or its Accredited Institutions” may be found at www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf.

For unresolved complaints concerning a condition or incident involving the University, contact the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) at (804) 371-2285.  The SCHEV student complaint process may be found at www.schev.edu/students/studentcomplaint.asp.

Effective July 1, 2012, the Commonwealth of Virginia will establish the Office of the State Inspector General which will be charged with receiving complaints alleging fraud, waste, abuse, or corruption by a state agency.  When the Office of the State Inspector General is operational, contact information will be added to this notice.

Continuing and Professional Studies Courses

  ^ TOP

Students enrolled in degree programs must obtain advance approval from their school in order to take courses through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

Course Load

  ^ TOP

Each school has established the minimum and maximum number of credits for which students are normally expected to register. Registration for fewer credits than the minimum or more credits than the maximum requires special permission from the dean’s office. Course load requirements and permission procedures may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Cross-Listed Courses

  ^ TOP

With appropriate approval, two courses under more than one department may be considered equivalent. This means that only one of the two courses may be taken for degree credit.

Deceased Student Academic Record Policy

  ^ TOP

Records for deceased students may be released to members of the family or to other personnel with the written approval of the family or representative of the estate. Before such release, UREG (Office of the University Registrar) may require, at its discretion, a copy of the death certificate or obituary. Absent written approval from the family or representative of the estate, only directory information will be released. 


  ^ TOP

Students enrolled following the first week of classes of a fall or spring semester are considered duly enrolled students for that term. Specific instructions are available each semester at www.virginia.edu/registrar. The late enrollment period begins the second week of classes in a Fall or Spring term. Students who enroll for classes, but who have a hold that impacts their enrollment at the end of the first week of classes of a fall or spring term, will be dropped from all classes.  The final deadline for enrollment is seven weeks after the first day of classes. Students who have not completed enrollment by that date are not allowed to enroll for the semester, receive credit for the semester, or receive a degree during the semester. No student will be permitted to enrolle after the final deadline unless the delay in enrollment was a result of University actions. Inability to pay tuition and fees by the deadlines imposed by the university bursar does not constitute an acceptable reason for enrolling late.

A late fee of $25 is charged to students who enroll during the late enrollment periodthrough the end of the second full week of the semester. After the second week, a $50 fee is charged.

Payment of tuition and fees is considered part of the enrollmentprocess. Failure to pay tuition and fees by the dates established by the university will result in suspension from the University (see the section on tuition and fees). By enrolling, the student assumes an obligation to pay for that semester’s tuition and fees.

All suspensions—financial, disciplinary, or academic—must be cleared before a student is permitted to enroll at the University. Students who are terminated for non-academic reasons during the semester, and who seek reinstatement in the same semester, are re-admitted and re-enrolledby UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in coordination with their dean’s office. Students seeking reinstatement must obtain a termination clearance form approved by the terminating authority. This form must be presented to UREG (Office of the University Registrar) prior to the tenth class day before the last day of scheduled classes. Students are not allowed to be re-admitted or re-enrolledafter this deadline, and they are not permitted to receive credit for that semester or to receive a degree in that semester.

Individuals who fail to enroll are not considered University of Virginia students and are not certified as being enrolled at the University for any purpose. Enrolledstudents must enroll in at least the minimum number of credits required by their school, or they must cancel their enrollment.




Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

Annual Notification

Students attending, or who have attended, the University of Virginia are given certain rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (20 U.S.C. 1232g) and Rules of the Department of Education (34 C.F.R. Part 99) implementing this Act.

Student rights under the Act and Rules may be summarized as follows:

  • To inspect and review the content of the student’s education records. The University shall comply with a request for access to records within a reasonable period of time, but not more than 45 days after it has received the request;
  • To obtain copies of education records upon payment of $0.15 per page, where the failure to provide copies would effectively prevent the student from exercising the right to inspect and review the education records;
  • To receive a response from the University to reasonable requests for explanation of those records;
  • To obtain an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of those records;
  • To receive confidential treatment by the University of education records; neither such records, nor personally identifiable information contained therein, except for directory information, shall be released without student permission to anyone other than those parties specifically authorized by the Act;
  • To refuse to permit the release of their directory information;
  • To file complaints with the Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) of the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of the Acts and Rules:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    United States Department of Education
    400 Maryland Ave., S.W.
    Washington, DC 20202-5920
  • To exercise all rights on the student’s own behalf, regardless of the student’s status as a dependent upon parents.

The University has adopted policy and procedures to protect the privacy rights of the past and present students. The policy and procedures describe:

  • The types of education records maintained by the University;
  • The titles and addresses of the University officials responsible for those records;
  • The procedures controlling the inspection and review of education records;
  • The procedures controlling the correction of education records, including a request to amend and to have a hearing;
  • The procedures controlling the recording of each request for and each disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records of a student; and
  • The individuals and organizations who have access to a student’s education records without the student’s prior written consent.

    Consent is not required where the disclosure is to school officials within the University who have a legitimate educational interest for the information.

    School officials are those individuals who engage in the instructional, supervisory, advisory, administrative, governance, public safety, and support functions of the University. They need not necessarily be paid employees of the University. School officials include:

    • Those University students who, pursuant to their duties as officers in officially recognized honor societies, periodicals, and other activities which recognize or encourage superior academic achievement, require personally identifiable information (e.g. grades) from students’ education records to determine the satisfaction of specified eligibility requirements;
    • Those University students who, pursuant to their duties as members of official University committees (e.g. scholarship committees), require personally identifiable information from students’ education records;
    • Those University students who, pursuant to the authority granted by the Board of Visitors under the terms of the Honor System and the University Judiciary System, require personally identifiable information from a student’s education records to investigate, adjudicate, or advise students involved in an alleged violation of the Honor Code or the Standards of Conduct; and
    • A person, company, or agency with whom the University has contracted to provide services that the University itself would provide otherwise.

    In order for a school official to have a legitimate educational interest, he or she must require the student’s education records in the course of performing his or her duties for the University.

Copies of the University’s policy and procedures are available upon request at UREG (Office of the University Registrar) or on the web at: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/STU-002.

The University may disclose personally identifiable information designated as directory information from a student’s education records without a student’s prior written consent, unless the student informs UREG (Office of the University Registrar) that they wish to restrict the release of their directory information. A student must so inform UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in writing within ten class days after the initial day of class for a fall semester in order to be excluded from the University’s printed directory.

Directory information consists of:

  • student name;
  • home and school addresses, telephone numbers;
  • e-mail address;
  • UVa computing ID;
  • date of birth*;
  • place of birth;
  • country of citizenship;
  • major field of study;
  • school of enrollment;
  • location of attendance;
  • full/part-time status;
  • level (graduate, undergraduate, etc) and year in school;
  • participation in officially-recognized activities and sports;
  • weight and height of the members of athletic teams;
  • dates of attendance;
  • candidacy for degree;
  • degrees, honors, scholarships, and awards received;
  • most recent previous educational agency or institution attended;
  • names of parents or guardians;
  • any unique identifying number created for the purpose of compiling, releasing, or transmitting directory information;.
  • and photographic images of the student

*date of birth: It is the practice of the University to not release a student’s date of birth except as required by law or as a validation of positive identification of a student when furnished by a person making an inquiry.

Final Examinations

  ^ TOP

Final examinations are given for classes during designated times at the end of each semester, and only at the times designated by UREG (Office of the University Registrar). Faculty members are not authorized to change the announced times of their examinations. Such changes may be authorized only by a faculty member’s dean’s office, and then only for compelling reasons. All students must have the opportunity to take the examination at the time announced.

Students are not permitted to take a final examination before its regularly scheduled time. When genuinely serious conditions exist, students, with the consent of the course instructor, may be allowed to postpone a final examination until after the regular exam period. When the instructor concurs, the student must submit a postponement request on a form provided by the dean’s office of the school in which the student is registered. Students will then take the examination at the instructor’s convenience, usually within four weeks of the last day of the exam period.

Unexcused absence from a final examination results in an automatic grade of F in the class.

Grading System

  ^ TOP

Records of academic achievement are maintained by the University in terms of credits, grades, and grade points.

Credit The unit of credit at the University is the semester credit. Each semester credit represents one class period of a minimum of 50 minutes per week for each week in the semester. Lecture-recitation courses require a minimum of one 50-minute class period each week in the semester for every one credit earned. Laboratories and field work require a minimum of two 50-minute class periods (or the equivalent amount of time) for each week in the semester for every one credit earned.

Grades Grades and symbols used to record academic progress are listed in the following table. Students are graded according to the grading system of the school in which the class is taught. Additional regulations apply to courses taught on a credit/no credit basis and are described in the section entitled Credit/No Credit Grades.

Grades and Grade Point Averages Grade points are assigned to all grades and some symbols listed in the following grading system table. Grade point averages are calculated by totaling the number of grade points earned, then dividing that total by the number of credits applied toward the GPA.

Grade   Grade Points   Included in GPA   Credits Earned
A+ (3)   4.000   Y   Y
A   4.000   Y   Y
A-      3.700      Y      Y
B+   3.300   Y   Y
B   3.000   Y   Y
B-   2.700   Y   Y
C+   2.300   Y   Y
C   2.000   Y   Y
C-   1.700   Y   Y
D+   1.300   Y   Y
D   1.000   Y   Y
D-   0.700   Y   Y
F   0.000   Y   N
Symbol   Definition        
CR (1)   Credit   N   Y
NC (1)   No credit   N   N
W   Withdrawal   N   N
WP (2)   Withdraw passing   N   N
WF (2)   Withdraw failing   N   N
S  (2)   Satisfactory   N   Y
U  (2)   Unsatisfactory   N   N
AU   Audit   N   N
IN   Incomplete   N   N
IV   Invalid grade   N   N
NG   No grade   N   N
NR   Non-Resident   N   N
YR   Year-long course   N  


(1) Commerce School courses (COMM) may not be taken on CR/NC basis.
(2) In the School of Law only
(3) In the School of Law, an A+ carries 4.300 grade points.

Grade Changes No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar) without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade except when an instructor certifies that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted. The deans are also authorized to change incomplete or missing grades to an F or withdrawal. Instructors must submit grade change forms to the dean’s office for the course and the student’s dean’s office if different. Except as noted below, grades cannot be changed once a degree has been conferred or more than one semester following the end of the course, whichever comes first.

Education: The Curry School limits the time in which a grade change may be approved to one calendar year following the end of the course.

Incomplete Policies The symbol IN (incomplete) is used when additional course work is required or examinations need to be taken in order to fullfill the requirements of a given course. A student may not request an IN grade in an attempt to raise his or her grade. Prior to the end of the class, students must initiate the request for an IN and secure the instructor’s approval. Grade changes from IN to a final grade cannot be made more than one semester following the end of the course, and instructors may set shorter deadlines. 

Grade Lapse Procedure

Undergraduate Student Career – An Incomplete grade will become an ‘F’ thirty (30) calendar days after the grading deadline.

Graduate Student Career – An Incomplete grade will become an ‘F’ two hundred (200) calendar days after the grading deadline.

(Graduate Schools that have more restrictive procedures are responsible for adequately disseminating such procedures to their students and faculty.)

Professional Student Careers –
 A Medicine – An Incomplete grade will become an ‘F’ 365 calendar days after the end of final exams.
 B. Darden – An Incomplete grade will become an ‘F’ 365 calendar days (Exec. MBA; managed by extension of Incomplete)
 C. Law – The Law School does not use Incomplete grades.

Extension of an incomplete can be granted and assigned in SIS for each student by the school that offers the course at any time once the Incomplete grade has been posted in SIS.

No Grade The notation NG (no grade) is used when grades are not submitted to UREG (Office of the University Registrar). UREG (Office of the University Registrar) will change the NG notation of a final grade upon receipt of the authorized grade change form from the instructor or dean representative. No student with an outstanding NG is eligible to receive a degree or certificate.

Credit/No Credit Grades Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of A-F grades for some classes. This option is selected when a student registers for the class. Instructors have the right to deny students permission to take classes on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or drop the class entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements without departmental approval. Specific CR/NC policies for each school is detailed in subsequent sections.

Graduation and Diplomas

  ^ TOP

Students who have completed all degree requirements in both their major and their school, and who have observed the rules and regulations of the University, including the Honor Code, and who are otherwise in good standing, will be recommended to the faculty of their school for a conferral a degree by the University of Virginia. A list of the degrees conferred by the University and the minimum number of credits required for each degree is included in Part II. To receive a degree from the University, students must achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.000 in the courses required for graduation.

Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting school in the semester in which they expect to be graduated. Degree candidates who do not enroll for credits must enroll for continuous enrollment.

Students may earn a degree from only one undergraduate school in a semester.

The University reserves the right to withhold the degrees of financially delinquent students or when students have engaged in Standards of Conduct violations at or prior to graduation ceremonies. The University also reserves the right to revoke degrees previously conferred when the student has not satisfied the rules and regulations of the University or is found to be in breach of the Honor System.

No student with an outstanding NG  or blank grade is eligible to receive a degree or certificate.

Ceremony The University conducts a graduation ceremony each May to recognize and honor those students who have completed all degree requirements during the previous academic year. Students who graduate at the end of the summer or fall semesters are invited to attend the ceremony following their graduation. Summer and fall graduates may not participate in a ceremony conducted prior to the actual awarding of their degree.

Diplomas Students who graduate in May can receive their diplomas at a diploma ceremony, may pick up their diploma at UREG, or may pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them. Students who graduate in August or January may either pick up their diploma in UREG (Office of the University Registrar) or pay a fee to have the diploma mailed to them.

Replacement/Duplicate Diplomas Lost or damaged diplomas may be replaced upon written request and payment of $50 plus a mailing fee. An original replacement will be issued and the replacement diploma wil have the word “replacement” inscribed at the bottom.

Replacement and duplicate diplomas are printed in diploma format in use at the time of the request with the current title and signatures of the current signatures of president, dean, and University Registrar. 

Additional information about replacement and duplicate diplomas can be obtained at www.virginia.edu/registrar.

Honorary Degrees

  ^ TOP

The University of Virginia does not award honorary degrees. Each spring, in conjunction with the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, the University presents the Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medal in Architecture, Medal in Citizen Leadership, and the Medal in Law. These awards, recognizing excellence in fields of special interest to Jefferson, are the highest external honors bestowed by the University.

International Student Admission

  ^ TOP

Since 1826, as principal to its core mission, when the first international student was enrolled, the University of Virginia has accepted a commitment to providing opportunities to citizens from all areas of the world to study, teach, and share the atmosphere of Jeffersonian freedom. The University considers the admission of qualified students from every country an integral part of its educational program. International students enhance the life of the University and contribute to the education and personal growth of American students and faculty.

Language Requirement In addition to meeting the admission requirements outlined in previous sections, international students must have an outstanding command of the English language in order to enroll at the University. In general, U.Va. does not conduct classes and exams in languages other than English; and it does not accept papers submitted in a non-English language. Notwithstanding any other section of this record, applicants whose first language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam unless they are specifically exempted by the graduate school to which they apply. Exemptions are generally only granted if the applicant has graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction.

A TOEFL or IELTS score should not be more than two years old. Most admitted students attain a total score of at least 600 on the PBT TOEFL, 250 on the CBT TOEFL, or 7.0 on the IELTS. The University anticipates that individuals who provide a score on the iBT TOEFL will likely earn a score of at least 22 in writing, 22 in speaking, 23 in reading, and 23 in listening for a total score of 90.

Some schools and departments may require higher scores for admission and/or set other, more restrictive rules regarding TOEFL/IELTS exemptions. Potential applicants should consult individual schools early in the admissions process for their TOEFL/IELTS requirements.

All incoming (new) graduate students whose first language is one other than English are required to take the University of Virginia English Language Proficiency Exam unless they have been exempted from TOEFL or IELTS.

All prospective graduate teaching assistants whose first language is one other than English are required to take the SPEAK Test. A score of at least 55 is required for permission to begin teaching without completion of oral language training. The SPEAK Test is administered in August, December, and May. Candidates for the test are identified by their department. Information about the SPEAK Test is available at www.virginia.edu/provost/caelc.

Visa Information The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has authorized the University of Virginia to issue visa documents appropriate for the F-1 (student) and J-1 (exchange visitor) non-immigrant status. Following academic admission to a University degree program, the International Studies Office reviews the language, financial and visa qualifications of the applicant. If all documentation is in order, a “Certificate of Eligibility” (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) may be issued to the prospective student upon request. In order to apply for a visa and to apply for entry into the United States as a student, Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 must be submitted to a U.S. Consulate, along with a passport and other indications of purpose while in the United States. The University does not issue a Certificate of Eligibility for part-time study, or continuing and professional studies courses. Admitted students may email the International Studies Office at issp@virginia.edu.

Most students enter the United States using an F-1 visa. The J-1 visa is appropriate for exchange students or students receiving a significant portion of their financial support from a government agency or international foundation. Students in the United States on F-1 and J-1 status must maintain full-time student status during the fall and spring semesters. Only those international students who are maintaining valid and lawful status in the U.S. which permits full-time study at a college or university will be permitted to enroll full-time at the University of Virginia.

All non-immigrant visas carry restrictions about employment and length of stay in the United States. Students are advised to carefully understand their particular status. Students must be willing and able to abide by the regulations for the visa status they are given. U.S. visa regulations are subject to frequent change and re-interpretation. It is the foreign national’s duty to keep him or herself informed of all current visa regulations and to maintain valid status according to all U.S. immigration laws and regulations.

Tuition/Fees All F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant students pay the out-of-state full tuition rate.

Living Expenses The estimated cost for housing, food, books and supplies, and health and personal items is approximately $1,000 per month for a single student. This does not include travel expenses to and from the United States, tourist excursions, furniture, or luxury items, such as automobiles and computer equipment. Basic expenses for the support of dependents (husband/wife/children) living in Charlottesville are additional.

Financial Certification Eligibility for a student or exchange visitor visa requires that the admitted applicant demonstrate sufficient financial resources for a full course of study. The International Studies Office requires an acceptable financial guarantee prior to issuing the “Certificate of Eligibility.” While the established minimum is considered sufficient for a basic, comfortable existence, it may not be adequate to maintain the lifestyle to which a student is accustomed.

Transfer of Funds The transfer of funds from the student’s home country to the United States may be governed by restrictions. The applicant must be fully informed of the local regulations and process for transfer. Since there may be a considerable delay in the process of transfer, early planning is vital. University expenses must be paid at the beginning of each semester. To avoid unnecessary problems, students are advised to bring sufficient funds with them to pay for tuition, housing, and medical insurance on arrival. This may amount to several thousand dollars and should be in the form of traveler’s or cashier’s checks in U.S. currency. Students must also open an account with a U.S. bank in order to accept transferred funds from home.

Employment The University of Virginia cannot enroll an international student who is unable to show evidence of adequate financial support. The U.S. government restricts the employment of non-immigrant students and scholars. In general, work without prior authorization is prohibited and may carry severe penalties. F-2 dependents are neither eligible to request permission to work nor to accept employment of any kind.

Family Considerations Due to the high cost of living in Charlottesville, students wishing to bring their dependent families must give thorough consideration to the added expense. Because dependents are not generally permitted to accept employment, students may find that they cannot support a family while studying at the University. In many cases, students must be prepared to leave their families at home.

Health Care and Insurance Medical care in the United States is very expensive and paid for privately. To protect against a possible medical debt arising from the need for emergency or sustained medical treatment, international students are required to purchase a health insurance plan that meets specific guidelines.

Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals

  ^ TOP

Voluntary Leaves of Absence Students who wish to take a voluntary leave of absence for either a semester or a year must apply for such leave at their dean’s office. Most schools require students on leave to apply for readmission at least 60 days prior to the beginning of the semester in which they intend to enroll.  Policies governing leaves and readmission may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Educational Leaves of Absence Students who wish to take a leave of absence to pursue educational interests at another educational institution in the United States must apply for a leave of absence at their dean’s office. Students who wish to study abroad in an accredited program or at an accredited foreign university must apply for a leave of absence at the International Studies Office. While on such an approved leave, a student must enroll at the University of Virginia for continuous enrollment and pay a continuous enrollment fee; this indicates that he or she is pursuing educational interests elsewhere. Students enrolled for an approved leave, do not have to apply for readmission to the University, although they must notify their dean’s office or the International Studies Office of when they intend to return.

Exclusion From Classes A student who is making no real progress in a class, or whose behavior is detracting from the class, may be excluded from that class by the dean with a grade of W or F. Students have five calendar days following written notification of this exclusion in which to appeal. Until the final disposition of the appeal, the student is considered enrolled in the class.

For students in the College, the appeal goes first to the chair of the department and then to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs. Until the final disposition of the appeal, the student may continue to attend classes with the approval of the dean and the instructor.

Enforced Withdrawal Students may be forced to withdraw from the University for habitual delinquency in class, habitual idleness, or any other fault that prevents the student from fulfilling the purpose implied by enrollment at the University. Students who are forced to withdraw during a given term will have the notation “Withdrawal Date: MM/DD/YYYY entered on their permanent academic records following the semester in which the action occurred. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Students who have been forced to withdraw must apply for readmission to their dean’s office in the same manner as suspended students.

Medical Withdrawal Students who withdraw for reasons of health must obtain permission from the Department of Student Health. A grade of W (withdrawal) will be entered for each course in which the student was registered. Subsequent medical clearance from the Department of Student Health is required for readmission.

Voluntary Withdrawal Students may withdraw from the University before the conclusion of a semester with the following conditions:

  1. Students under the age of 18 must give notice to their parents or legal guardians of their intention to withdraw. Evidence of this notice must be provided at the time of withdrawal.
  2. Applications for withdrawal must be made in writing to the student’s academic dean’s office and must be approved by the dean.
  3. Failure to comply with the above regulations will subject a student to suspension from the University by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Any student who withdraws without having obtained permission is recorded as having been suspended with a grade of F recorded for each course.
  4. Students who withdraw from the University voluntarily will have the notation “withdrew (date)” recorded on their permanent academic record. Students who withdraw will receive grades of W, WP, or WF in their courses, depending upon the school in which they are enrolled.

Specific voluntary withdrawal and readmission policies may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Appeals Students have the right to appeal the imposition of sanctions. During the pendency of his or her appeal, a student’s standing remains status quo.


  ^ TOP

Exceptions to academic regulations may be requested by petitioning the appropriate faculty committee or dean’s office in the student’s school of enrollment. Petition forms and information concerning the proper procedures for requesting exceptions to academic regulations may be requested in the deans’ offices.

Posthumous Degrees

  ^ TOP

Upon the recommendation of the faculty of the appropriate school, the General Faculty of the University may make a posthumous award of the degree or degrees the student was pursuing if all requirements were likely to have been completed during the final year for which the student was registered had it not been for the intervention of death.


  ^ TOP

Students who have not enrolled at the University for a semester or more, and who are not on an educational leave of absence, must be formally readmitted, regardless of whether they are on an approved leave of absence. For readmission, a student must be cleared by his or her academic dean, the Department of Student Health, and the Office of the Dean of Students. Application for readmission must be made to the academic dean’s office of the student’s school at least sixty days in advance of the next university enrollment period. The School of Commerce and the College of Arts and Sciences have slightly different policies regarding readmission procedures and deadlines. Additional information about school readmission policies can be found in subsequent sections. 

Repeated Courses

  ^ TOP

Courses may be repeated for credit only with the permission of the student’s dean’s office. However, the original course continues to appear on the official academic record and counts in the calculation of the grade point average. Regulations concerning repeated courses may vary by school and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Student Status

  ^ TOP

Students must have completed the registration process at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and be current in all financial obligations to the University in order to be considered enrolled at the University. Satisfaction of one of the following criteria confers full-time or part-time status on a graduate student during a given semester for the purpose of enrollment certification and deferment of student loans. Separate criteria may apply for tuition, fees, and financial aid.

Full-Time Students Registration for twelve or more credits in a semester constitutes full-time status for the purpose of loan deferments and enrollment certification.

Part-Time Students Any student carrying fewer than twelve credits is considered to be enrolled part-time. Registration for fewer than nine credits requires permission of the dean’s office.


  ^ TOP

Transcripts of courses taken along with grades and credits, and degrees received at the University of Virginia are maintained by UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in accordance with the guidelines of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. As the transcript is a record of all academic work attempted at the University, it is not possible to segregate individual courses or semesters or to print only undergraduate or graduate work. Current students may view their records in their dean’s office or in UREG (Office of the University Registrar) upon proof of identification. Students may obtain copies of transcripts from UREG (Office of the University Registrar) by making a written or on-line request authorizing the release of the transcript. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold the transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial or administrative obligations with the University.

Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Any student attempting to gain access to, or possession of, another student’s record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.

Transfer Credit

  ^ TOP

General Policies The University of Virginia grants transfer credit based on an analysis of the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken, the applicability of the courses to the student’s intended major and degree program, the quality of the student’s performance in the courses, and the accreditation of the institution at which the work was completed.

Credit is allowed only for those courses in which a grade of C or better has been earned. Some programs may require a grade of B or better. Only credits are accepted in transfer; grades are not transferred and do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average at the University of Virginia. Credit from institutions on a system other than the semester hour system is converted to semester hours. Students receive no more, and may receive fewer, than the number of credits earned at the host institutions.

Policies governing transfer credit may vary by school, and are detailed in subsequent sections.

Credit From Foreign Institutions The University of Virginia grants credit for courses taken at recognized foreign tertiary-level educational institutions. Foreign educational institutions that are chartered and authorized by their respective national governments (generally through the Ministries of Education) are considered “recognized.” Credit is awarded for courses judged to have been completed at a C level or above. The amount of credit granted does not exceed that given for the comparable University course. The University of Virginia applies the general guidelines for awarding credit given by the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Student Credentials and the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs.

Credit By Examination The University of Virginia participates in the Advanced Placement Examinations Program of the Educational Testing Service and the International Baccalaureate Examination Program. Students who receive grades deemed satisfactory by the academic unit to which they seek admission may receive academic credit. The University does not participate in the College Level Examination Program, the College Proficiency Exam, or the USAFI and DANTES programs of the United States Military Forces.

Enrolled Students Taking Course Work at Other Institutions University of Virginia students must secure the permission of their dean’s office prior to enrolling in courses at another institution and transferring academic credit back to the University to apply toward their degree program. After completing such work, students must have official transcripts from the institution in which the courses were taken sent to the appropriate dean’s office at the University. Approval to take courses on a pass/fail basis must also be obtained prior to taking the courses. Courses in which “pass” or “credit” grades are received must be certified as equivalent to a grade of C or higher to be accepted. Courses applied toward the major may not be transferred to the University from another institution without special permission of the department. 

Veterans Benefits

  ^ TOP

All decisions pertaining to benefit eligibility and payments are made by the
Department of Veterans Affairs.
Please direct all questions to the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

First Time Students/Beneficiaries

Please provide the following information to the UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in order for enrollment to be provided to the Department of Veterans Affairs:

1.Certificate of Eligibility (COE) – This letter is provided to all veteran/dependents at the time of benefit approval by the Department of Veterans. For a replacement COE please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.
2.VA Certification Request Form – This form is a UVA form used to initiate certification. A new form is required for each academic semester.
3.VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) – This form is required when the student transfers into the University of Virginia or changes majors within the University of Virginia. This form can be completed through VONAPP at www.gibill.va.gov.
Returning Students

Please provide the following information to the UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in order for enrollment to be provided to the Department of Veterans Affairs:

1.VA Certification Request Form – This form is a UVA form used to initiate certification. A new form is required for each academic semester.
2.VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) – This form is required when the student transfers into the University of Virginia or changes majors within the University of Virginia.
Changes in credit hours should be reported immediately to UREG (Office of the University Registrar), at 434/924-4122 or ureg@virginia.edu.

Contact Information
UREG (Office of the University Registrar)
1001 North Emmet Street
PO Box 400203
Charlottesville, VA 22904
(434) 924-4122
Fax: (434) 924-4156

University students who are in the military reserves or the National Guard of the United States who are called to active duty after the beginning of a semester or summer session should consult the University’s policy on Active Duty in the Military.

Active Duty in the Uniformed Services

  ^ TOP

In accordance with the “Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines,” University students in the uniformed services under call or order to active duty, of more than 30 days, after the beginning of a semester or summer session have two options they may consider with the dean’s office of their school of enrollment and UREG (Office of the University Registrar) in determining their enrollment status with the University:

1. Students may withdraw from all courses in which they are enrolled as of the effective date of the call or order to report to active duty. When this option is selected, a full credit of all tuition and fees, and any pre-paid tuition, room, or board deposits, will be made to the student’s account. Students will receive a pro-rated credit of dining service and housing contract charges. Financial aid awards that were credited to the student’s account will be recovered by the University in the amount of tuition and fees, dining, or housing credit. Loans used to cover the remaining charges will be subject to normal repayment procedures. For students receiving Title IV funds, financial aid recovery will be subject to requirements for return of Title IV funds to the federal government. The notation “Withdrew for military service [date]” will be added to the official transcript.

2. Students may take a grade of incomplete in all courses. The conditions for completing course work and receiving a regular grade should be agreed to between the student, course instructors, and the appropriate dean’s office of the school in which the student is enrolled. Upon separation from active duty, and subject to the reinstatement provisions below, students may complete the course work without paying any additional tuition and fees for the semester. Students will receive a pro-rated credit of dining service and housing contract charges. Financial aid awards that were credited to student’s accounts will be recovered by the University in the amount of any dining or housing credit. Loans utilized to cover the remaining charges will be subject to normal repayment procedures. For students receiving Title IV funds, financial aid recovery will be subject to requirements for return of Title IV funds to the federal government. No notation is added to the transcript, and the incomplete grades are changed to final grades when the coursework is completed.

Families of students living in University family housing may remain in their units for 60 days or until the end of the semester, whichever is longer. Assistance in finding alternative housing will be available through the Housing Division.

To initiate the process of withdrawing from courses (option one) or receiving incompletes in courses (option two), students will need to discuss their situation with the appropriate representative from their dean’s office, in consultation with UREG, and provide a copy of their active duty orders.

Regardless of the option selected above, the following provisions govern reinstatement to the University upon release or return from service in the uniformed services.  Former students (option one) and students (option two) are entitled to reinstatement, to their program of study (if available), without having to reapply for admission if (1) they return to the University after a cumulative absence of not more than five years, and (2) they provide notice of intent to return to the University not later than three years after the completion of the period of service.  (Exceptions to these time periods may be found in the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008.) Throughout the entire process, former students/students will have access to counseling to determine the impact of absence from the program, to evaluate the ability to resume study, and to assess options when a program is no longer available or suitable.

Applicants to the University who have accepted an offer of admission but who have not yet registered in a degree program may defer admission and enroll for the next appropriate semester following discharge from active duty, provided the school to which the student has been admitted receives adequate notice of the applicant’s intention to enroll. It will not be necessary for the applicant to reapply for admission nor to pay an additional application fee. Any pre-paid admission deposits, tuition, room, or board charges will be refunded.

This policy is applicable to all students registered at the University, whether on Main Grounds or through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

For further information, students should contact UREG, at (434) 924-4122.

– July 1, 2011


Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines


  ^ TOP