Oct 21, 2018  
Undergraduate Record 2011-2012 
Undergraduate Record 2011-2012 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Dining

Tuition, Fees, Housing, and Dining

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Tuition and Fees


University tuition and fees, listed below, consist of the tuition and required fees, as well as a student activities fee. The student activities fee subsidizes activities approved by the Student Council, such as publications, club sports, and service organizations. In addition, students enrolled in Architecture, College of Arts and Sciences, Commerce, Education, Engineering, and Nursing are required to pay special school fees. These special fees are listed below by school. Tuition is based on the student’s residency classification (i.e., either Virginian or non-Virginian). University tuition and fees are subject to change.

Tuition, Required Fees, and Activities Fee

 Academic Year (2 Semesters)

Virginia Students

Tuition and required fees



Activities fee






Non-Virginia Students

Tuition and required fees



Activities fee






School Fees

Academic Year (2 Semesters)
Students enrolled in the schools listed below are required to pay a fee in addition to the tuition, required fees, and activities fee listed above.







College of Arts and Sciences









Engineering and Applied Science






Note: For the fall semester only, all first-year students will be assessed a $210 orientation fee ($130 for transfer students). International Students will be charged an additional $50 per semester.


Waiver of Comprehensive Fees

Employee Waiver Program University of Virginia full-time salaried faculty (9- or 12-month), ROTC faculty, full-time staff and health care professionals who have been employed for one year or more who are enrolled in more than 3 credit hours at the University of Virginia will qualify to have their comprehensive fee waived.  At the time of application for Education Benefits through University Human Resources, Student Financial Services will be notified to waive the comprehensive fee.

Registration and Payment

Fall and Spring Semester Registration Registration is conducted through the SIS each semester. Instructions for registering are available on-line at www.virginia.edu/registrar. Upon completion of the registration process, an individual is classified as a registered student. Not attending classes does not alter the registration status or the assessment of tuition and fee charges. Once registered for a semester, a student may terminate registration only through official withdrawal from the University.

Payment and Late Payment The final date for payment of student account balances for University charges is included in the account statement on-line for students.  The payment due date for the Fall 2011 semester is August 18, 2011; for the spring semester, it is January 11, 2012. Bills are available on-line through QuikPay@UVA only.  Therefore, failure to receive a bill by mail is not a legitimate reason for late payment. Any student who fails to pay the amount due by the specified payment due date is charged a late fee as follows:

One-time late fee:   1.5% of the past-due amount

Students are billed for late fees in the next billing after registration, and the late fee carries a due date separate from the original charge. Requests for waivers of late fees due to extenuating circumstances must be made in writing to studentaccounts@virginia.edu and must be received by Student Financial Services by the late fee due date.

Checks returned for insufficient or uncollected funds are immediately redeposited by our bank. Payment of tuition and fees by a check returned from the bank will incur a late fee if the repayment is not received by the due date for the charge(s) in question. A $50 service charge will also be assessed. Postdated checks should not be submitted; each check is immediately processed for payment regardless of its date.

The University accepts, on-line only, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit card payments for tuition, fees, housing, or dining charges. There is an additional 2.75 % convenience fee charged by the payment processor if payment is made by credit card or debit card.

E-checks can be submitted through QuikPay@UVA only.  There is no service fee for paying by e-check.

Special Arrangements for Students with Learning Needs or Disabilities Special tuition arrangements are possible for students who must take fewer than nine credits due to a diagnosed learning need or disability. Such students must contact the Learning Needs and Evaluation Center at (434) 243-5180 for a review of their situation and must have their reduced course load approved by the dean of their school.

Installment Payment Plan The University of Virginia offers a Monthly Payment Plan in conjunction with Nelnet Business Solutions. Signup is by semester, and there is a $35 per semester fee for this plan. This payment plan allows parents and/or students to make 5 monthly payments per semester for tuition and fees, housing, and dining plans. Participation in the Monthly Payment Plan is optional and available to all students. Please note that this plan is not available as an option to pay Summer term tuition. The plan is only available for the Fall and Spring terms.  For more information, go to http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts/paymentplan.html.

Withdrawal from the University

Tuition and Fees Students who withdraw from the University are charged a percentage of the tuition and fees based on the school week within which the withdrawal occurs. A school week is defined as the period beginning on Monday and ending on the succeeding Sunday; the first school week of a semester is defined as that week when classes begin. The effective date of withdrawal is determined by the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled and is recorded on the official withdrawal form that the student must complete as part of the withdrawal process. In the College of Arts and Sciences, the effective date of withdrawal is the date that the student informs the association dean of his or her intent to withdraw from the University. The schedule for allocation of tuition and fees between amounts charged and amounts credited is listed below. This schedule is subject to change.






1(partial week)   20   80
2   20   80
3   30   70
4   40   60
5   50   50
6   60   40
7   100   0

Any refunds owed to the student as a result of withdrawal are first offset against any other amounts owed to the University.

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw prior to the completion of 60% of the enrollment period must repay Title IV funds (i.e., PLUS, Perkins, Subsidized, and Unsubsidized Loans; Pell, SEOG, HETAP, and CSAP Grants). To determine what percentage of aid the student has earned, and what percentage must be returned, Student Financial Services will divide the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the enrollment period. For details or examples, contact Student Financial Services.

Residence Hall Rent No refund of residence hall rent shall be made in the event of withdrawal after the fifth class day of the semester. Upon vacating student housing facilities, a student must return the room key to the student accommodation office. The date the room key is returned to the student accommodation office is the effective termination date of the student housing contract. Failure to return the room key will result in a re-keying fee being charged to the student.

Other Fees and Special Charges

Damage to University Property The student or students responsible are charged at the cost of repair or replacement.

I.D. Replacement Fee A fee of $15 is charged to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated student I.D. card. Payment must be made at the time of replacement.

Returned Check Service Fee The University assesses a $50 service fee for all checks returned by the bank as non-negotiable. Checks are automatically redeposited by the bank once before they are returned to the University.

Diploma Fees Replacement and duplicate diplomas may be obtained upon payment of a $50 fee plus a mailing fee.

Late Registration Fee Students who register for the term after the end of the first week of classes will be assessed a $25 late registration fee. Students who register more than two weeks after the end of the first week of classes will be assessed a $50 fee.

International Services Fee All students attending the University under the F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa status are required to enroll for full time study in both the fall and spring semesters (12 or more credits for undergraduate students). Any change in visa or citizenship status must be submitted with original documentation to the International Student and Scholar Programs Office in Minor Hall. You are also required to obtain a Social Security Number if you will be receiving University-awarded financial support.

International Students will be charged a $50 International Services Fee. The revenue offsets costs associated with the operation of the federally mandated Student and Exchange Visitor Program and the associated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Further, the fees will ensure that the University is in compliance with federal mandates, as well as supporting the International Studies Office to have an adequate number of highly-skilled professionals who can address all student legal status issues.

Continuous Enrollment Fee Students are charged a fee of $190 for each semester they are on an approved leave of absence or each semester they are not enrolled for courses in a resident school but wish to maintain their matriculated status in the school. Students who are not engaged in any course work during the semester in which they expect to graduate must pay the Continuous Enrollment fee.

Additional School Expenses Students in the School of Architecture have an additional expense of approximately $150 for supplies. Students in the School of Nursing have an additional Clinical Services Fee of $95 per semester.

General Payment Policies

Payment by the Billing Due Date Students are expected to satisfy all outstanding obligations to the University before they are permitted to attend classes for a given term. If outstanding obligations are not satisfied, courses are dropped after 5 p.m. of the Friday of the first week of classes.

Failure to Pay University Financial Obligations Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due financial obligations. Suspension includes dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current students will have their debts offset against any credit balances and other proceeds, such as loan checks. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their student account preventing them from adding classes or obtaining an academic transcript. Past due obligations are reported to the state for offset against state income tax refunds, state vendor payments, and lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to fifty percent of their debt.

Federal Loans The University participates in the Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Further information on Federal Loans is available in this Financial Aid section of this Record.

University Awarded Loans Proceeds from University awarded loans (e.g., Perkins, health professions, nursing, or institutional loans) are not distributed by check, but are applied directly to the student’s University account. Undergraduates must be registered for at least twelve credits, and graduates for the number of credits specified on the loan application, to be eligible to receive credit from these loan proceeds.

Credit Balances Credit balances resulting from a scholarship, fellowship, or University awarded grant or loan are refunded by U.S. mail to arrive on or about September 1 in the fall and February 1 in the spring, unless direct deposit is in effect. Credit balances resulting from the installment payment plan are refunded in mid-November for the fall semester and mid-April for the spring semester.

Credit balances resulting from overpayment may first be used to offset any other past due amounts owed the University. Credit balances of less than $5 are not refunded unless requested.

The University offers direct deposit of credit balance refunds to students’ bank accounts. Sign-up forms can be obtained from the payroll office or at http://www.virginia.edu/studentaccounts. Direct deposit of credit balances is strongly encouraged, though not required. If not chosen, checks are issued; however, creation of checks is a slower process than direct deposit.

Home and Mailing Addresses Student Financial Services uses the home and mailing addresses that are recorded in SIS. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain current addresses in the SIS. Failure to update addresses on a timely basis may result in misdirected refund checks.  Because the Mailing address type is used for refunds sent by check, please ensure your Mailing address is always up to date in the SIS.

Taxability of Scholarships and Fellowships The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax code permits the exclusion of scholarships or fellowships from income up to the amount used for the payment of course-related expenses (i.e., tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment). The IRS does not consider the cost of room and board to be course-related. Stipends or living allowances paid as part of a scholarship or fellowship are considered taxable income. The University is required to withhold taxes on such payments only to nonresident alien recipients not claiming treaty benefits. However, all recipients are required to report their scholarships and fellowships to the IRS by filing a yearly tax return and to pay the requisite taxes. These provisions apply to all scholarship and fellowship recipients of domestic source grants, regardless of whether the recipient is an undergraduate, graduate student, citizen, or nonresident alien. Students should retain receipts for tax deductible items. The University cannot provide tax counsel.

Auditing Courses Undergraduate students currently enrolled for regular courses are charged for audited courses according to the tuition and fees schedule. However, individuals not currently enrolled who wish to audit courses at the University must do so through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and are subject to their rate schedule.

Senior Citizens In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University waives tuition and required fees for courses on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least 60 years old, have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. Eligible persons should contact Student Financial Services to request the waiver.

To qualify as a full-time or part-time student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $15,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. Instructors have the option of determining whether students may or may not take their courses on an audit basis. Those who have completed 75 percent of their degree requirements may enroll for courses at the same time as tuition-paying students, rather than waiting until final registration is completed.

Veterans’ Benefits UREG (Office of the University Registrar) is the University liaison with the Veterans Administration in matters concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the provisions of Chapters 30, 31, 32, 34, 35 and 1606. (War Orphans’ benefits are handled through the scholarships/fellowships office in Student Financial Services, P.O. Box 400204, Charlottesville VA, 22904-4204; (434) 982-6000.)

Benefit information and application forms can be found on the VA Website: www.gibill.va.gov. Inquiries regarding how to start VA benefits during enrollment at the University and certification procedures should be directed to: UREG (Office of the University Registrar), P.O. Box 400203, Charlottesville VA 22904-4203; (434) 924-4122; or e-mail ureg@virginia.edu.

Classification as an In-State Student

Eligibility for in-state educational privileges, including in-state tuition rates, is governed by Section 23-7.4 et. seq. of the Code of Virginia.

Applicants for admission apply for in-state status by completing the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges during the completion of the Common Application for Admission.

Currently enrolled students apply for changes in residency status through the Office of Virginia Status, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203. Applications must be received prior to the first day of class of the semester for which in-state privileges are sought.

Students classified as non-Virginia residents in current degree programs should contact the Office of Virginia Status if they are considering applying for admission to other degree programs.

Students with an initial entry date of Fall 2006 or later may not exceed attempted hours that total 125% of the credit hours needed for a specific degree program and retain in-state tuition eligibility. The Code of Virginia states that if a student who is classified as in-state exceeds 125% of the required credit hours to complete their degree, they will be subject to a surcharge each semester thereafter. This surcharge will appear on the student account, typically at the end of the add/drop period each term.

The following courses and credit hours shall be excluded:  remedial courses; transfer credits from another college or university that do not meet degree requirements for general education courses or the student’s chosen program of study; advanced placement or international baccalaureate credits that were obtained while in high school or another secondary school program; and dual enrollment, college-level credits obtained by the student prior to receiving a high school diploma.

The Code of Virginia establishes rules for eligibility for in-state tuition for all students enrolled at public institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Section 23-7.4:F of the Code of Virginia further requires undergraduate students to maintain progress toward the degree to comply with continued eligibility for in-state tuition.

Inquiries about the surcharge and about specific conditions for appeal of the surcharge can be made to Student Financial Services at studentaccounts@virginia.edu, or in person at our offices in Carruthers Hall, at 1001 North Emmet Street. Appeals of the surcharge will be received by Student Financial Services and reviewed by your School of enrollment.

University Housing


The housing of students has been a prime consideration of the University since its founding. The University has two main goals in providing students with housing accommodations on Grounds. The first is to furnish students with a variety of housing arrangements at a reasonable cost. The second is to provide an environment in which each student may achieve the maximum realization of his or her potential-intellectually, socially, and physically. Attributes such as self-discipline, concern for the rights of others, mental and social maturity, and respect for public and private property are expected to be fostered in group residence situations.

As a part of the University’s orientation and advisory system, all students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live in one of the residence houses during their first year. After the first year in residence a student who wishes to live in University housing must enter the reapplication process. Upperclass housing is available in residence halls and apartments and these spaces are awarded through the room selection process. On-Grounds housing is readily available and is guaranteed for second year students.

Room Reservations After the entering undergraduate student has been admitted to the University and has returned the housing application to the accommodations office, the student will receive an assignment through the room selection process.

The application serves as the student’s housing agreement with the University. The student will be notified of the room assignment before the beginning of the session.

Room rent is charged by the semester and is due and payable upon receipt of a bill from Student Financial Services. All housing charges are subject to change.

All correspondence regarding University-owned accommodations for single students should be addressed to Accommodations, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-6873, Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.

Accommodations for Single Students

McCormick Road Houses Each of the ten residence houses on McCormick Road provides accommodations for approximately 140 first-year students in double rooms. Resident staff live in the houses, each of which has its own lounge. A mailroom, snack bar, laundry, and recreation facilities are nearby. All rooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television.

Alderman Road Houses Three of the Eleven houses are hall style. The other eight houses on Alderman and Observatory Roads accommodate approximately 120 first-year students in twelve suites; each suite consists of a central lounge, a bath, and five double rooms. When the demand for space requires it, the double room in the front of each suite is used as a triple room. A mailroom, dining hall, snack bar, and recreation facilities are nearby. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television. All rooms have wireless internet service.

Hereford Complex (Johnson, Malone, and Weedon Houses)  The residential spaces in these three houses have room for approximately 294 students in a combination of single and double rooms with central baths and two lounges located on each floor. One lounge is equipped with a sink and microwave. The complex includes a dining hall and convenience store. Other amenities include air conditioning, study lounges, meeting space, wireless computer access, laundry facilities and a mailroom. A Residential Program for New Students (transfers) is also housed in this complex. For information about this program go to www.virginia.edu/housing and click on Transfer Students.

Bice House A recently-renovated eight story apartment building located southeast of the University on Brandon Avenue, housing approximately 280 students in two- and three-bedroom apartments. Each apartment is furnished. There is a large common area lounge, computer room, and laundry room on the ground level. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Gooch and Dillard Houses (Stadium Road) The nine structures comprising this complex accommodate approximately 650 undergraduate in suite arrangements. Each suite consists of a central living room, shared bath area, and, in most cases, six single bedrooms. A laundry, postal box room, and two large lounges with kitchens are provided in the complex. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Lambeth Field Apartments Located north of Central Grounds, this complex contains 102 two-bedroom apartments and 72 three-bedroom apartments. Each two-bedroom apartment houses four students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. Each three-bedroom apartment accommodates six students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. All apartments are furnished, and a convenience store is operated by the University within the complex. A laundry room and postal boxes are available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and common rooms are wired for cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Copeley III & IV Located on the North Grounds, these complexes contain 74 two-bedroom apartments. The apartments accommodate four students, with double occupancy in each bedroom. Each apartment is furnished with a sofa, chairs, a dining table and chairs, refrigerator, stove, single beds, wardrobes (each with a built-in chest), desks, and chairs. Laundry rooms and postal boxes are also available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and common rooms are wired for cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

The Lawn Rooms on the East and West Lawn are part of the original Jeffersonian Academical Village. Undergraduate degree applicants in their final year are eligible to apply for these accommodations. A student selection committee determines who lives on the Lawn based on each student’s scholastic and extracurricular achievements. All rooms are single, and each bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Hench, Younger, and Mitchell Houses (Faulkner) This complex houses approximately 150 students. These accommodations are four-person furnished apartments comprised of a living room, a kitchen, four single bedrooms (one large and three regular), and a bath area. Laundry facilities, postal boxes, and a computer lab are also available. Bedrooms are wired for voice and data connection, and living rooms are wired for cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Residential College System

Brown College Contains eleven houses comprised of air-conditioned suites occupied by two students who share bath areas with members of the adjoining suites. There are 288 spaces assigned in 144 suites. All rooms have wireless internet access and cable television.

Hereford College Consists of  Norris and Whyburn houses containing a combination of single and double air-conditioned rooms  and have central baths on each floor. Two lounges are located on each floor (one equipped with a microwave). Kitchens are available in each of the houses. All rooms have wireless internet access and cable television.

International Residential College This College is dedicated to intellectual exchange and learning among students and scholars of all nations, races and cultures. The college includes the Munford, Gwathmey, Lewis, and Hoxton houses and can accommodate 320 students. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey Houses Housing first-year and upperclass undergraduates, these two facilities contain a combination of double and single rooms, with kitchens and lounges on each floor and laundry facilities in each building. A computer room is located in Mary Munford. Bedrooms are wired for voice, data, and cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Hoxton and Lewis Houses Located adjacent to the Mary Munford and Roberta Gwathmey Houses, these houses accommodate 100 students in a variety of settings. Suites, double rooms, and single rooms are available. Lounge facilities, kitchenettes, laundry rooms, and postal boxes are provided, and residents have access to the computer room at Mary Munford. Each student bedroom is wired for voice, data, and cable television. All rooms have wireless internet access.

There is a separate application process to live and participate in the residential college program. The application period typically begins in late fall for participation the following academic year. For details, contact Accommodations, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-6873; Fax: (434) 924-3758; Brown College online: www.virginia.edu/browncollege; Hereford College online: http://www.hereford.virginia.edu/.

Foreign Language Houses

The language houses at the University are designed to provide an opportunity for intensive language learning and cultural experience. Students are required to speak the foreign language at all times in the common areas; at least one native speaking graduate student typically lives with each language group. Students do not have to be language majors, but they must have an intermediate knowledge of the language to qualify for admission to the houses.

All language house rooms are wired for voice and data. Application and assignment to the language houses are coordinated through departmental contacts at the French department (924-7158), the German department (924-3530), the Slavic department (924-3548), the Spanish department (924-7159), the Italian department (924-7159) and the Middle Eastern and South Asian Languages department (982-2304). For additional information, contact Accommodations (434) 924-6873, Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.

Russian Located at 102 Cresap Road, the Russian House is home to 7 students. Double and single rooms are available. Common areas include a living room, a dining room, and community kitchen. Russian TV is broadcast via satellite. Visit the Russian House online at www.virginia.edu/slavic.

La Maison Française, located at 1404 Jefferson Park Avenue, houses twenty seven undergraduate and graduate students in double and single rooms. Common areas include a living room, dining room, and community kitchen. Visit the French House online at www.virginia.edu/french/maison.

Max Kade German House Located at 583 Brandon Avenue (Bice House), the German House typically houses eleven undergraduates and one graduate student in double rooms. Common areas include a living room, dining room, and community kitchen. Visit the House online at www.virginia.edu/german.

La Casa Bolívar Located at 1408 Jefferson Park Avenue, the Spanish House accommodates 24 students in 8 single and 8 double rooms, including a fully accessible (ADA compliant) room on the ground floor. Common areas include a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, and two sitting areas. Visit La Casa Bolívar online at http://www.virginia.edu/span-ital-port/.

Shea House Located on the corner of Jefferson Park Avenue and Monroe Lane, the Shea House accommodates 76 students in six residential blocks comprised of both double and single occupancy rooms. These blocks or “pods” include one each for Arabic, Chinese, Hindi-Urdu, Italian, Japanese, or Persian. The House is ADA accessible and includes full laundry facilities, central heating and air conditioning, high-speed Ethernet connections in each student room, and spacious common areas. Applications are available on line at http://web.virginia.edu/shea/.

A meal plan, provided by ARAMARK is required for all residents of Shea House, La Casa Bolivar and La Maison Francaise. The Max Kade German House also has a required meal plan that is set up and operated by the members of the house.

Family Housing Accommodations

University Gardens This eight-building apartment complex north of Central Grounds on Emmet Street (U.S. Route 29) contains 41 one-bedroom apartments and 28 two-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

Copeley Hill Apartments These accommodations of masonry construction, located northwest of Central Grounds, consist of 112 one-bedroom apartments, 112 two-bedroom apartments, and thirty three-bedroom apartments. Furnished and unfurnished apartments are available.

The Family Housing Association The association is governed by a council elected by residents from the various neighborhoods of the family housing communities. The FHA coordinates programmatic functions for the residents and serves as residents’ liaison with the Housing Division and other agencies.

Requests for information regarding student Family Housing should be addressed to Family Housing, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400735, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4735; (434) 924-7030, Fax: (434) 924-3758; housing@virginia.edu.

Privately Owned (Off Grounds) Accommodations

Students wishing to obtain housing off Grounds should consult the local apartment locator services: www.brac.com or www.uvastudentcouncil.com/offgrounds.

Housing Regulations

All students entering any of the undergraduate schools directly from secondary school are required to live on-Grounds in residence during their first two regular semesters at the University. The Director of Accommodations and the Director of Residence Life may authorize exceptions to this residence requirement in unusual circumstances.

Upperclass and graduate students may live in University accommodations on Grounds, in fraternity or sorority houses, or in privately-owned accommodations.

All rooms in University facilities are rented subject to the University Housing Terms and Conditions of Residence. This includes billing students for facility damages. When specific responsibility for damage cannot be determined, all costs are divided equally among the residents of that unit.

Students are strongly encouraged to obtain personal property insurance as the University is not responsible for damage to residents’ property.

The following University housing rental charges are for the 2008-2009 session and are subject to change. For current rate information, go to www.virginia.edu/housing. Rates for 2010-2011 will be updated by the end of April 2010.

Rental Rates

Single Student Rental Rates

Per Occupant for Nine Month Session

First Year Student Rate
  Single Room   $4,870
  Double Room   $4,870
Johnson, Malone & Weedon Houses
  Single Room   $4,930
  Double Room   $4,870
Bice House
  Single Room   $5,820
  Two Bedroom (dbl. occupancy)   $4,330
  Three Bedroom (dbl. occupancy)   $5,200
The Lawn
  Regular Single Room   $5,480
  Small Single (no fireplace)   $5,340
Faulkner Apartments - Hench, Mitchell, Younger
  Single Room   $5,820
  Large Single Room   $6,770
Lewis, Hoxton (Mosaic)
  Single Room   $5,730
  Single Room (private bath)   $5,970
  Double Room   $5,300
  Small Double Room   $5,050
Lambeth Field
  Two-Bedroom   $5,330
  Three-Bedroom   $5,200
Copeley III & IV - Ribble
  Two-Bedroom   $5,330
Brown College at Monroe Hill
  Double Room   $5,674
Hereford College
  Single Room   $4,930
  Double Room   $4,870
International Residential College - Mary Munford, Roberta Gwathmey
  Single Room   $5,480
  Double Room   $4,890
La Maison Française (French House)
  Single Room   $5,840
  Double Room   $5,300
  Large Double Room   $5,450
Max Kade (German House; in Bice House)
  Single Room   $5,820
  Two Bedroom (dbl. occupancy)   $5,330
  Three Bedroom (dbl. occupancy)   $5,200
La Casa Bolívar (Spanish House)
  Single Room   $5,840
  Double Room   $5,300
Russian House
  Single Room   $5,750
  Double Room   $5,280
Shea House (Language House)
  Single Room   $5,840
  Double Room   $5,300


Family Housing Rental Rates

Per Month

Including utilities, except telephone.
Copeley Hill:
One Bedroom
  Furnished   $705
  Unfurnished   $675
Two Bedroom
  Furnished   $855
  Unfurnished   $825
Three Bedroom
  Furnished   $1,025
  Unfurnished   $985
University Gardens:
One Bedroom
  Furnished   $701
  Unfurnished   $670
Two Bedroom
  Furnished   $870
  Unfurnished   $845

Dining at UVa


Dining provides students numerous opportunities for meals and snacks from dining rooms, food courts, coffee shops, and convenience stores around Grounds. The residential dining rooms serve three meals on weekdays, as well as brunch and dinner on weekends, while select food court locations are open until late at night to offer a wide variety of dining options. Dining locations are accessible to students with disabilities.

The University student identification card is the student’s entry into the residential dining rooms. It allows students to use the meals and Plus Dollars on their dining plans, and tells them the current balances. If the card is lost or stolen, the card office must be notified immediately at 924-4508 to deactivate the card. A separate card is issued to students in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.

For more information, please Visit the Dining website at www.virginia.edu/dining or contact Meal Plan Coordinator, U.Va. Dining, P.O. Box 400312, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4312; (434) 982-5140, Fax: (434) 982-4995; dining@virginia.edu.

Meal Plan Options

Please note that the following descriptions of the meal plans do not include all relevant terms and conditions of the contract. Please refer to the dining brochure and the Annual Dining Plan Contract for complete details regarding meal plans.

The University requires that all first-year undergraduate students participate in either the Unlimited, the Plus 15, or the Plus 13 dining plans during the first semester. Second-semester first-year students may choose to participate in the Plus 10 plan.

Weekly Meal Allowance The meal allowance is designed especially for first year students and students living on Grounds during the year. The meal allowance lets students enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the residential dining rooms. Students receive a set number of meals per week based on the selected plan. Each time students eat in a residential dining room, one meal is subtracted from the semester’s meal allowance.

Semester Meal Allowance The semester meal allowance lets students enjoy all-you-care-to-eat dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the residential dining rooms. Students receive a set number of guaranteed meals per semester. Each time students eat in a residential dining room, one meal is subtracted from the semester’s meal allowance.

Plus Dollars Most meal plans includes Plus Dollars, which can be used in all dining locations. They work like an ATM or debit card, and students can use Plus Dollars for beverages, snacks, or full meals. The total purchase price is subtracted from the Plus Dollar dining plan balance. Students may increase the flexibility of their meal plan by purchasing additional Plus Dollars at any time. All charges are billed by Student Financial Services, and funds are available within one business day of sign-up.

Meal Exchange A new component of the meal plan that allows students to use a swipe for a meal (a combo package, not dollar amount) at several U.Va. Dining retail locations.

The Unlimited Plan provides complete access to the dining rooms for meals or snacks during regular hours of operation. There are no limits to the number of meals that may be eaten during the day or week. This program permits the student to fit his or her meals into the most demanding schedule. This plan also comes with 10 guest meals each semester.

The Plus 15, Plus 13, Plus 10, and Upperclass 10 meal plans allow the student any 15, 13, or 10 all-you-care-to-eat meals each week. Each of these plans is supplemented with Plus Dollars and 10 guest meals each semester.

The Semester 100, Semester 80, and Semester 50 meal plans are available to upperclass students, and they provide either 100, 80, or 50 meals per semester. These plans are especially convenient for students who live off Grounds . Each of these plans is supplemented with Plus Dollars and any of the meals may be used for a guest at the residential dining rooms.

Residential Colleges and Language Houses Students enrolled in either the Hereford, Brown, Shea, French, or Spanish houses must choose a residential dining plan. These plans include banquets and special events which are part of the residential college experience. First-year students must select either the Unlimited, Plus 15, or Plus 13 dining plan.

Required Meals

Brown College requires that all residents buy a meal plan barring dietary concerns and it is expected that residents will eat in the College dining hall in Newcomb Hall.  Students who have serious dietary issues can work with the Dining Services nutritionist to accommodate their needs.

Hereford College requires that all residents eat at Runk Dining for Sunday brunch or dinner and two additional dinners between Monday and Thursday evening.

Language Houses The French and Spanish language houses require that all residents participate in a Language House Dining Plan. Students are required to eat dinner Monday through Thursday at their respective language house.

Athletic Dining Plans Varsity student athletes are required to participate in an Athletic dining plan. These plans include dinners at the John Paul Jones athletic dining room, featuring recipes designed to meet the special nutritional needs of student-athletes.

Meal Plan Changes

Meal plans are purchased for the entire academic year. All changes must be made by letter, on the Dining website (www.virginia.edu/dining) by completing the Dining Plan Change Request Form, or by filling out an Intent to Change Form at the Dining Services Administrative Office at Observatory Hill during a specific time period each semester. First year students are required to purchase a meal plan for the entire year.

Students may upgrade to a meal plan with more weekly or semester meals at any time during the academic year. 

There is no fee for upgrading meal plans; however a $50 administrative fee is applied to all cancellations except for students graduating in December or studying abroad.

Meal plan contracts are annual contracts, 2010-2011 meal plan rates are available on U.Va. Dining website at www.virginia.edu/dining.