Aug 15, 2020  
Summer Record 2008 
Summer Record 2008 [ARCHIVED RECORD]

Tuition and Fees

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Summer Session 2008 Tuition and Fees
Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $218.00
Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $260.00
Non-Virginian Undergraduate, per semester credit   $800.00
Non-Virginian Graduate, per semester credit   $660.00
Research fee (theses or dissertations)   $920.00

Note: Students who undertake any form of academic study within the University, including those working on dissertations or theses, using any University facility, or consulting regularly with faculty concerning graduate work, must register accordingly and pay the research fee.

Comprehensive Fee
Comprehensive Fee, Virginian   $247.00
Comprehensive Fee, Non-Virginian   $259.00

Non-Resident Fee for degree recipients

For Students neither enrolled in a class nor registered for research who will have completed by June 2 all work towards a graduate degree and will receive the degree in August.  

Tuition and fee for the Summer Session are comparable to those charged during the regular session for similar courses or privileges.

Special fees for certain courses are noted in the course descriptions. There are no laboratory fees for science courses, but students will be charged for the replacement or repair of University property they lose or damage.

Full-time regular session faculty and staff taking summer courses do not pay the comprehensive fee. Faculty spouses pay a reduced comprehensive fee. Contact the Office of Summer and Special Academic Programs for details.

Refunds of tuition and fee overpayments will be processed automatically after the 1st week of Session II classes.

Room rent refund requests must be made in writing to Conference Services. Please allow a minimum of one month for processing. Please make sure your local address in ISIS is correct so that your refund will be sent to the appropriate place. All refunds will first be applied towards any outstanding debts owed to the University.

Checks returned for non-sufficient or uncollected funds will be immediately redeposited by the University’s bank. All checks returned a second time will be charged a $20 service charge. In addition, checks which are returned a second time will subject the student to financial suspension.

Transcripts: Transcripts may be obtained from The Office of the University Registrar for a fee of $5 per copy. You may request a transcript three different ways: on-line, by mail, or in person. Visit for full ordering details. The University of Virginia reserves the right to withhold copies of transcripts of students who have unfulfilled financial or administrative obligations with the University. Access to student records is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Any student attempting to gain access to or gain possession of another student’s record will be subject to disciplinary proceedings and suspension from the University.

Official Financial Obligations: You must clear all financial obligations to the University before you can officially register for summer session. Enrolled students may be suspended from the University for past due obligations. Suspension action includes the dropping of courses and prevention from course enrollment for future terms. Current and former students will have a financial hold placed on their academic transcripts. Past due obligations will be reported to the State for offset against State income tax refunds, State vendor payments, lottery winnings, and may be reported to credit bureaus, referred to third party collection agencies or the State Attorney General, or litigated. Debtors may be assessed collection costs up to 50% of their debt.

Federal Financial Aid


Financial Aid for UVa students is available for Summer Session through Student Financial Services. The primary source of financial assistance is student loans; however, limited grant funds are available to eligible students taking courses on-grounds.

Because summer session financial assistance is limited, students should submit the required information by April 1, 2008 for priority consideration. To be considered for summer financial assistance a student must:


  1. Have a completed 2007-2008 Summer Financial Aid Application on file
  2. Have a completed 2007-2008 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file (FAFSA)
  3. Be seeking a degree at UVa
  4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  5. Be registered for at least six credit hours (undergraduate students)


  1. Have a completed 2007-2008 Graduate Summer Financial Aid Application on file
  2. Have a completed 2007-2008 Free Application for Federal Student Aid on file (FAFSA) (Returning students’ aid may be based on the 2007-2008 FAFSA)
  3. Be seeking a degree at UVa
  4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  5. Be registered for at least three credit hours (graduate students)

Summer Student Loans


Students may apply for a Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) or an alternative loan, such as the GATE loan. Information regarding these loans is available at Graduate students and parents of undergraduate students may also apply for a Federal PLUS Loan to cover summer session costs. Information regarding this loan can be found online at Please contact Student Financial Services at (434) 982-6000 for further information.

Other Financial Assistance


A limited amount of financial aid may be available for graduate students in Education. Contact the department in which you will enroll for information on possible financial aid. All summer financial aid is administered by departments and the application process and schedule varies.

Mountain Lake Biological Station
The MLBS offers financial aid via the Walton Scholarship Fund. There are also numerous service awards available for room and board. Duties involve working in the dining hall or cleaning the lab and assisting with the opening and closing of the Station. Contact the Director in 223 Gilmer Hall, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400327, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4327.

In-State Eligibility


Classification as an In-State Student

The Code of Virginia, Section 23-7.4 governs the determination of eligibility for in-state tuition privileges. Pursuant to the Code, all applicants seeking in-state privileges must complete an Application for In-State Educational Privileges. New applicants and applicants enrolled as in-state students at other Virginia institutions must complete an Application. Currently enrolled University students are not required to complete an application if enrolled as an in-state student in a degree program for the entire spring semester immediately prior to the Summer Session and continuing in that same program for the fall semester thereafter.

The Application for In-State Educational Privileges must be submitted with the Summer Session Application no later than the first day of classes of the summer session. Applications submitted after the first day of classes will not be reviewed and the applicant will be ineligible for in-state tuition.

A thorough explanation of the statutory requirements for in-state eligibility may be found at the Virginia State Council of Higher Education’s website at: Applicants requiring additional information may contact the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students at: 434-982-3391 or

The Application for In-State Educational Privileges may be obtained from the Summer Session office, the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students or printed from the University’s website at:

Additional information and supporting documentation may be requested by either The Summer Session Office or the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students. An applicant denied eligibility may appeal the determination by providing written notice no later than ten calendar days after the denial. The request for an appeal should be sent to the Director of the Committee on Virginia Status of University Students, P.O. Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904.

Senior Citizens, Veterans, and War Orphans


Senior Citizens
In compliance with the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act, the University offers courses with tuition and required fee waived on a space-available basis. To be eligible, a person must be at least sixty years old and have been legally domiciled in Virginia at least one year before the semester begins, and must gain admission to the University. To qualify as a student for credit, the senior citizen’s taxable income (for federal income tax purposes) the year prior to enrollment must not have exceeded $10,000.

There is no income requirement if the senior citizen wants to audit a course offered for credit or to enroll in a non-credit course. No more than three courses per semester may be taken on this basis, but there is no limit to the number of semesters a senior citizen may be enrolled. The senior citizen must receive the permission of the instructor in order to audit the course.

Senior citizens must complete an application for admission to the Summer Session. Return completed application to the Office of Summer and Special Academic Programs, University of Virginia, P.O. Box 400161, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4161 two weeks prior to enrolling in courses. Summer Session students are subject to the University of Virginia’s academic, financial, and non-academic rules and regulations. Students enrolled in a UVa Summer Session course are expected to attend each class meeting.

Veterans Benefits
The University Registrar is the University’s liaison between the Department of Veterans Affairs and the student, concerning educational benefits available to veterans under the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapters 30, 31, 32, 35, and 1606). The University Registrar will certify enrollment to the VA. Inquiries regarding Veterans’ Affairs educational benefits should be addressed to the Office of the University Registrar, Carruthers Hall, P. O. Box 400203, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4203, (434) 924-4122 or For information concerning “War Orphans”, please contact Naomi Crawford at Student Financial Services: (434) 982-6000. For Information on veterans’ benefits and various VA forms, visit